Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Australian Adult Video | Babydolls Agogo | Max Performer | Mizz Thai Pattaya Girls | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

• Announcements

• Ru4Real

Nude or not nude, that is the question   01/05/18

An inordinate amount of the Moderators Teams time is spent on ensuring inappropriate images are removed from the forums where necessary as per Rule 29. On investigating why people have posted nude images in a non-advanced area, the vast majority of the feedback we've had has been "I didn't realise where I was".  Therefore, we have added a visual indicator to help you quickly identify whether you are posting in the advanced or the non-advanced area. If you are in an advanced area you will notice the page background is now a pale green - green for go.                               If you do not see the green background it is your responsibility to double check where you are on the site prior to posting any images/videos. This is doubly important for those using Tapatalk due to the fact we have no control over the Tapatalk theme (i.e. Tapatalk users will not see this visual indicator). Offenders will be sanctioned.
    • whitespider

Agoda Users - PLEASE READ   18/08/17

URGENT Attention Agoda Users - Agoda have reduced their cookie length from 90 days to just one day. If you use Agoda, and you would like the forum to receive the commission for your booking, please click any Any Agoda link here IMMEDIATELY prior to making your booking. If you click and then book the next day, without clicking a link again here, Agoda now simply keeps 100% of it. Many thanks to everyone who has supported us in the past - it is very much appreciated.  
Xylanic

Ling Ling Learn Thai....Xylanic approved, one hell of an app and Game

Xylanic

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hepilabs.lingling.thai&hl=en

This is fairly new but I have been playing with it for a few days now. It's a game style and forces you to only play a certain amount of words a day. It's fantastic for learning the reading and recognizing words. If you have no idea what you are looking at it's not as useful but the scores and games are addictive. I didn't want to add this to my long language topic but I wanted to call out a tool that hasn't been talked about much on here. It might appear to be a bit juvenile at first for some board members but it's truly a great app and 750 words are free :)

Xy.

mainframe

Great find, gonna give it a go. Thanks Xylanic.

whattheduck

Shame it's not available on iPhone.

I wanted to ask you to do an update to your old thread. I wasn't interested in the tools so much, but how your progress was coming along. Are you able to have proper conversations now?

Scott Kevin

Thanks Xylanic! This is a really good fun app. Hopefully they will unlock the advanced and expert words packages soon.

Xylanic,

Are you number one on the leader board? Holy crap at getting over 35k points! I'm in 2nd place with a little over 10k.

Edited by kikenyoy

Scott Kevin

I wanted to ask you to do an update to your old thread. I wasn't interested in the tools so much, but how your progress was coming along. Are you able to have proper conversations now?

I emailed the developer and he said the new vocab packs should be ready in a few weeks and it will be available for Apple in a few months.

999Baht

Argghh a few months before I can play it on my iPhone!

Damn...I will keep it in mind for sure.

I'm currently board and thus a little bogged down with my Thai learning at the moment.

Scott Kevin

I was looking through the achievements and I see that some add to your score multiplier so I can see how those higher scores are possible.

Tingtong4Thai

Xylanic... I've enjoyed your trip reports and your language threads very much! I've been more of a lurker these days, but wanted to let you know your efforts on this board are very much appreciated... :)

slick67

Thanks Xy!

I like this app, it has a nice mix of vocab with both common words that most will already know and more difficult words that sometimes were new for me as well (even at the basic level).

As Xylanic already said, it looks a bit childish, but don't let that fool you! You have to be able to read Thai pretty fast to get a high score in the game...

Steven B'stard

Argghh a few months before I can play it on my iPhone!

Damn...I will keep it in mind for sure.

I'm currently board and thus a little bogged down with my Thai learning at the moment.

can't seem to get it on Windows 8 either

Scott Kevin

Thanks Xy!

I like this app, it has a nice mix of vocab with both common words that most will already know and more difficult words that sometimes were new for me as well (even at the basic level).

As Xylanic already said, it looks a bit childish, but don't let that fool you! You have to be able to read Thai pretty fast to get a high score in the game...

The same for me. You get 500 words with the free pack so I thought it would just be a review and I'd have to wait for the advanced/expert packs to learn new words but I'm getting 1 or 2 new words per 50 each day. They definitely aren't the most common, basic 500 words.

Xylanic

I am at the point that the girls can understand me and reply in Thai for basic, yes. However, if they go a mile a minute I cannot understand a single word, like many folks in the conversational phase. They do, however, seem to be able to understand me fine. This is all without a proper teacher or classroom setting. I'd say I know about 1500-2000 words now, enough for basic conversation. My Issan is limited, however and "spying" is limited. However, I can do the basics and speak better thai than most of the girls speak English, aka, they prefer Thai.

expatdude

Thanks for the app.

pacastew

https://play.google....ling.thai&hl=en

This is fairly new but I have been playing with it for a few days now. It's a game style and forces you to only play a certain amount of words a day. It's fantastic for learning the reading and recognizing words. If you have no idea what you are looking at it's not as useful but the scores and games are addictive. I didn't want to add this to my long language topic but I wanted to call out a tool that hasn't been talked about much on here. It might appear to be a bit juvenile at first for some board members but it's truly a great app and 750 words are free :)

Xy.

I'm a rank beginner with Thai. Just downloaded it, seems useful, but I'm still getting used to the interface. Is there a way to turn down the music, but leave the speech part alone?

Scott Kevin

pacastew,

Click on the gear symbol and you can adjust the volume of the music.

Scott Kevin

I finished the 500 free words and my opinion of it isn't quite as positive as it was before. There are several mistranslations, words of little value (Ellen, David, Mexico, Russia, etc.) and words which use a less common meaning which can be confusing (such as "shore" being used as a verb instead of a noun). It is fun to play and it is great for improving your reading speed but it would be a good idea to check a dictionary when learning the new words which is a hassle and shouldn't be necessary with a well designed app.

I emailed the developer and they are working on the translation problems now. I sent a few suggested changes and offered to help so hopefully it will be improved soon with the next update.

Edited by kikenyoy

Sexy Baldman

Thanks I will try it. I hope it is as fun as Memolicious - that is a great app to start learning consonents

Nak Muay

i really liked L-Lingo android app. theres a free version giving about 7 lessions on the basics then the full thing is 100 or 200 lessons but its in a similar style to rosetta stone g using photos and pictures to help learn words and script. aswell as explanation of how to use words and how to say the words with audio examples and tests.

works amazing on a phone with touch screen, they have the same on the website to use on  your computer but its nowhere near as good.

anyways gonna download this one too see what the trial is like but L-lingo well worth a look.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.llingo.tha_l65_pro#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiYWlyLmNvbS5sbGluZ28udGhhX2w2NV9wcm8iXQ..

Scott Kevin

Holy crap at getting over 35k points! I'm in 2nd place with a little over 10k.

The points go way up the more you play. I'm in 1st place now with 407k.

Atomsmasher

Do I need to be able to read Thai to play this?

Scott Kevin

Yes, you have to be able to read Thai.

Xylanic
Yes, you have to be able to read Thai.

Sort of.  I read very slow and it has helped my reading a ton and helped to recognize words.

However, you can go without the game and just use the word trainer to hear words pronounced correctly and start to recognize the word. However, without understanding what you are looking at, doesn't help. I would suggest Memolicious, as another person stated, which is fantastic for starting to learn Thai letters.  Once you start to get this together, you will start to see how words come together.

I also somewhat agree that the names and countries are not that valuable, however, to someone who does not know what they are hearing, hearing the Thai version of Marry, David, Mexico, etc can be helpful.

Xylanic
i really liked L-Lingo android app. theres a free version giving about 7 lessions on the basics then the full thing is 100 or 200 lessons but its in a similar style to rosetta stone g using photos and pictures to help learn words and script. aswell as explanation of how to use words and how to say the words with audio examples and tests.

works amazing on a phone with touch screen, they have the same on the website to use on  your computer but its nowhere near as good.

anyways gonna download this one too see what the trial is like but L-lingo well worth a look.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.llingo.tha_l65_pro#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiYWlyLmNvbS5sbGluZ28udGhhX2w2NV9wcm8iXQ..

L Lingo is great, finished it a while ago. It's also a great starting point. Ling Ling is more of an intermediate tool IMO.

Scott Kevin
I also somewhat agree that the names and countries are not that valuable, however, to someone who does not know what they are hearing, hearing the Thai version of Marry, David, Mexico, etc can be helpful.

...but how often will a foreigner hear those words? They are so similar to the English words that anyone could recognize them immediately.

I asked the developer what method they used for selecting the words as well as the translations since there are so many mistakes and words of little to no value, but I haven't heard back from him yet. There are several frequency word lists available for Thai including one by Chula University that lists the 5k most frequent words. That would have been a great starting point for this project instead of whatever haphazard method they used.

My latest gripe with it is that it is repeating words unnecessarily. It taught the word "boat" which is correctly taught as เรือ. Then it later taught me the word "vessel". If the program was for teaching English and it was an advanced level vocabulary pack then I could see teaching that word, but it's pointless to teach it in Thai since it's the same word! There are other examples like this too. I can't understand how they thought it would be a good idea to do it this way.

It's so frustrating to me...the design of the app is great and the way the points/levels/achievements work it is addictive to keep trying to improve. it is so much fun to play and it's great for improving reading speed and passive vocabulary but it has so many flaws that could have easily been avoided. If they'd put the same effort into the word selection and translation as they did into the game it would be one of the best products available for Thai students. As is, I can't really recommend it due to all the errors but it can have some value.

Edited by kikenyoy

slick67

If you look in the Google store, you'll see that the developer has the exact same apps for many different languages.

I haven't downloaded them, but judging from the screenshots in the store they use the same vocab for every language.

That's why some words don't make a lot of sense when learning Thai. They're probably more useful when learning, say, Russian :D