Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How long can TGF stay in the US for first visit?

10 posts in this topic

She just got a 1 year Visa and I'm ready to book her flights, but I don't know how long she can stay?  Any input????

She just got a 1 year Visa and I'm ready to book her flights, but I don't know how long she can stay?  Any input????

It will help if you post what sort of visa it is.

also would love to hear how she got the visa - did she do it on her own or use a company like Siam Legal to help her with the visa process... Also, would like to hear what her background is - does she have a not frowned upon (by the US Embassy) job - like CPA, nurse, doctor, lawyer, etc - or was she was a dancer in a Walking Street/LK Metro/Nana Plaza/Soi Cowboy AGoGo... thanks in advance if you can supply this information...

Edited by southsidebruce

if its a 1 year visa then one would assume 1 year no?

SpankTheLing and Dalef65 like this

if its a 1 year visa then one would assume 1 year no?

No. There is a period for how long it is available for use and then there is how long you can stay each time which would be rare if over 6 months.

Some visas also expire in 90 days from issued if not used so they can't be bought and stored like a big sack of rice.

Assuming it's a tourist visa good for one year, but time within the U.S. is typically limited to not more than six months at a time. The agent at POE will decide how long she can stay, based in part on how long she says she intends to stay and for what purpose, and this will be reflected in the I94.

Theoretically, she could make, for example, three trips of 90 days each during the course of the one year validity of the visa.

Keep in mind, if agent at POE suspects that she intends to immigrate, which is fraudulent with a tourist visa, entry can be denied regardless of a valid visa. Probably best not to 'visit the boyfriend' on these tourist trips.

Rcbryce is correct.  If she has a B/2 tourist visa, she should be admitted for six months.  This is the norm for tourist visas.  

normally, tourists can stay a maximum of 6 months.  but the immigration officer determines the length of stay .  Some questions may be how she finances the "long" trip of 6 months, purpose of the trip etc etc.  Mentioning that she will be staying with a BF is not a good idea as the officer can (most likely will) assume that she may "overstay" and then deny entry.  

Or she can be lucky and he just looks at the visa and stamps the passport for 6 months... 

As "southsidebruce" asked, any information on how she received the visa is appreciated - agency or not?  background, work in LOS, ties at home to convince the embassy staff that she will return.  Based on stories, it is very difficult...

Congratulations to both of you that she received the visa and can visit!

USA has no out bound passport control.

Your only consern is immigration check points in southern border states.

These are usually on major interstates.

They ask you if youre a US citizen