sulu

New(?) Visas and/or rules ?

34 posts in this topic

New nordic

I did some searching first but couldn't find all the info.

Seems like Thailand has changed its visas - again.

After 2 failed attempts early this year I gave up getting my "retirement visa" last March and returned to the USA.

Now I am planning to come back to Patts for another 6 month trip.

But OF COURSE things have changed. Again. Just today I handed in my application for 2 60 days visas (as I did a year ago) to the Thai consulate in Miami only to learn I can only get ONE.

No more METVs (THAT ended pretty quickly didn't it ?).

No more than ONE 60 day visa is issued. Plus 1 extension while in Patts = 90 days total.

NOW what ? How do I stay the additional 90 days for a total of 180 ?

I guess one option is I can apply for the Non-O long term visa when I get there and go through all that silliness again.

If I fly to say Japan, right before the first 90 days is up, would I, as a US citizen, be able to get a 60 day Tourist Visa for Thailand in Japan ? Any other countries ? Surely I don't have to fly back to the USA to "re-do".

What are my options (getting the Non-O IN Thailand is still one, yes ?) ?

Time is very short as I'm leaving on Nov 30. I am considering getting a Non O-A HERE in the US but to do that I have to fly up to D.C. to do it and still have to get some of the paperwork together. And right now the Thai Consulate in Miami has my Passport processing my TV.

TIA

Don't even bother wth all the Non-o visa shite (just got mine after 2 failed attempts) . Instead make a little side

trip to Phnom Penh after your first 90 days . Hand your passport to a visa office and they will get you another

60 day (+30 day extension) tourist visa for just a small fee of $5/10 . 

Spend a few days in Penh and back to Thailand for the next 90 days . Pretty easy . 

Hi. I don't see it on their list, but a good thing would be to get a "non-immigrant O visa", 90-days, for reason of Retirement. You could then get a 1-year extension once in Thailand.

They list the non-O only for "Thai family" but official rules allow them for 50+ yo.

The Thai Visa rules didn't change for some time already, but each consulate is free to "choose & adapt" the rules he wants to apply...

Hi Sulu,

What went wrong with your retirement visa application?

1. Are you at least 50 years old?

2. Did you either have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for at least two months, OR a letter from the US embassy in BKK confirming you have pension income 65,000 baht/month?

Given the time before departure, I'd say 2 options:

1. Enter on the SETV you've already applied for. Get a 30-day extension for that in Jomtien as your 60 days are coming to an end.

Then fly out to a neighbouring country. Cambodia seems a popular place to do this but if you fancy seeing somewhere else, this is your chance. Get another SETV in that country which gives you 60 + 30 days again.

2. Enter on the SETV, then get the 'Retirement' visa in Thailand. I don't uunderstand why you failed twice?? Did you do it yourself and not have the correct paperwork? There are a couple of threads with the details of what you need.

A 'proof of income' from the Embassy - easy for an American.

The correct form.

Proof of address.

Photocopy of relevant passport pages.

Photos.

The fee.

Don't forget to get the multiple entry permit as well so you can still use it to come back next year.

There are agents who will do this for you for between 15000 and 25000 baht. As you'll have to pay for a trip to another country in Option 1, it may be worth doing this?

If you hadn't already applied for the SETV, another option would have been to get the new METV. You'd still have to leave Thailand during the 6 months but wouldn't need to get another visa.

Hi Sulu,

What went wrong with your retirement visa application?

1. Are you at least 50 years old?

2. Did you either have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for at least two months, OR a letter from the US embassy in BKK confirming you have pension income 65,000 baht/month?

The long story is here http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/289111-retirementt-visa-in-need-of-an-idiots-guide/?hl=retirement#entry3514389

The short story is I tried for the retirement extension about 10 days before my "permission to leave" was up. Apparently one must file at least 15 days prior (something I didn't see explained ANYWHERE) so I was turned away and had to leave and come back.

2 months later tried again. This time, of course, at least 1 month before. The letter from the American Embassy that I got during the first go 'round, that certified my income statement, was no good. It hadn't expired BUT, in the 2 months between applications, there was a new requirement to go to Consular Ops in Bangkok to get a STAMP affixed to the back of the USA $$$ document.

So Jomtien wouldn't forward the paperwork to Bangkok for me.

I gave up and went home.

Edited by sulu

According to the Miami website a METV is still available, I'm guessing you are getting mixed up and didn't provide the correct documentation. Did you check the requirements?

http://www.thaiconsulatemiami.com

No, I read the website just fine.

I was trying to get a "2 entry" tourist visa. The lady AT the Consulate told me "sorry, only 1 entry TVs allowed and no more METVs either - difference being one could pay for a "2 entry" visa ($40 x 2) as opposed to the "unlimited" entry METV ($200)).

Don't even bother wth all the Non-o visa shite (just got mine after 2 failed attempts) . Instead make a little side

trip to Phnom Penh after your first 90 days . Hand your passport to a visa office and they will get you another

60 day (+30 day extension) tourist visa for just a small fee of $5/10 . 

Spend a few days in Penh and back to Thailand for the next 90 days . Pretty easy . 

I looked at Thailand's Malaysia website quickly and I believe it said 1 requirement for a Thai TV was the applicant had to be either a Malaysian citizen or a permanent resident. Of course I am neither.

However, I just now found on the (Thai) Cambodia website, there is something called ACMECS and that appears to allow a USA citizen to get a Thai 60 day visa.

Is THIS what you're referring to ???

Edited by sulu

Not doubting what you say OP....

Double entry TV was replaced last year, by the METV...  the validity of the METV is 6 months, as against 3 months validity for the SETV. The idea of the METV, is to allow people to make trips to other SE Asian countries and still be able to return (as often as they like) to Thailand within the 6 months validity of the Visa.  You can't do that on a SETV.

There is also talk that the METV validity will be lengthened to 12 months... but it is only talk at the moment AFAIK

It seems to me, OP, you have gone to a Consulate where they have no clue as to what Visas are actually available to you.

As for the Retirement extension.... You need to have patience.. and odds are, you will be fucked around to some extent or another... just smile and do what is required by the office/officer you are dealing with,a nd eventually you will get the extension, providing you meet requirements.

No, I read the website just fine.

I was trying to get a "2 entry" tourist visa. The lady AT the Consulate told me "sorry, only 1 entry TVs allowed and no more METVs either - difference being one could pay for a "2 entry" visa ($40 x 2) as opposed to the "unlimited" entry METV ($200)).

I bet 10 baht you are mistaken and METV is alive and well in Miami.
KingMidas likes this

And you would win that bet. I have a visitor this week here in UT from Tampa who got his METV last week from

Miami.

scubascuba3 likes this

You may be right but it wouldn't be ME that was mistaken. This is what I was TOLD by an employee of the consulate. What should I do ? Tell HER she was wrong ?

And you would win that bet. I have a visitor this week here in UT from Tampa who got his METV last week from

Miami.

I can only go by what I was told yesterday (Thursday, 11/3).

I called and sent the Thai Embassy in D.C today (Friday A.M.). Left a message - of course no call back/return email until Monday the earliest.

I'm thinking of going up to D.C. in person to get a Non O-A and simply using it for 6 months and not bother with the retirement extension. Then I'd be eating the 60 day TV but it's just $40 (although the Non O-A is $200).

Would do it by mail except the window is very tight (15 business days).

Edited by sulu

Not doubting what you say OP....

Double entry TV was replaced last year, by the METV...  the validity of the METV is 6 months, as against 3 months validity for the SETV. The idea of the METV, is to allow people to make trips to other SE Asian countries and still be able to return (as often as they like) to Thailand within the 6 months validity of the Visa.  You can't do that on a SETV.

There is also talk that the METV validity will be lengthened to 12 months... but it is only talk at the moment AFAIK

It seems to me, OP, you have gone to a Consulate where they have no clue as to what Visas are actually available to you.

The purpose of the METV, assuming it has replaced the SETV, is $$$$$.

The METV is $200. The SETV is $40 for each 60 day period, easily extended to 90. That makes $80 for 6 months.

The METV is $200. The SETV is $40 for each 60 day period, easily extended to 90. That makes $80 for 6 months.

The SETV hasn't been replaced by the METV. Just different visas. 6 months using 2 SETVs back to back and paying for 2 extensions will be $140.

The SETV hasn't been replaced by the METV. Just different visas. 6 months using 2 SETVs back to back and paying for 2 extensions will be $140.

Ahhh, you;re right. I forgot about the price of the extensions. That was $60 IIRC,,,,,, EACH,,,,,,,, So total would be $200.

Except that they won't give me 2 SETVs any more; 1 only; hence my problem.

My bad. 

Ahhh, you;re right. I forgot about the price of the extensions. That was $60 IIRC,,,,,, EACH,,,,,,,, So total would be $200.

Except that they won't give me 2 SETVs any more; 1 only; hence my problem.

My bad.

Finally.....i don't think you could ever get 2 single entry tourist visas, most likely a double entry tourist visa. METV is the way to go if you can provide the docs.

To get 2 SETVs, you'd probably need to leave Thailand and get the 2nd one from a nearby country.

well not really....................

If you take the cynical view as to why the visa is offered, you are correct.  What you are missing is that, you can enter as MANY times as you want with a METV, within the validity of the visa.  With a SETV, enter once, and the visa is dead.

It may come as a surprise, but not all visitors to Thailand look to stay a long time... many use Thailand as a central base for exploring the other countries close by. Lots of tourists visit the whole SE Asia region.

BTW, on today's exchange, 1900 baht for an extension cost $54.34 USD or $70.81 AUD.  So the extensions aren't all that cheap, even though they are very handy at times.

Bottom line is many of the complaints about the Thai Visa rules is rooted in people misusing them as a means for living semi-permanently in Thailand.

Finally.....i don't think you could ever get 2 single entry tourist visas, most likely a double entry tourist visa. METV is the way to go if you can provide the docs.

To get 2 SETVs, you'd probably need to leave Thailand and get the 2nd one from a nearby country.

They weren't 2 separate pieces of paper. It was a single piece glued in your passport that allowed for the visa to be used twice. So if that's what you mean, yes.

I had a double entry visa a year ago, righ before the METV began. There is a line item on the visa application that says "# of entries".

I put 2 on the app yesterday - she crossed it out and wrote in "1".

Edited by sulu

Bottom line is many of the complaints about the Thai Visa rules is rooted in people misusing them as a means for living semi-permanently in Thailand.

Problem is mainly people under 50 as Thailand doesn't have reasonable options IMO . 

1. Tourist visas but after so many it gets harder and harder to obtain them (other than from your home country) . 

2. ED visa ... sorry i'm not in Thailand to go to school . 

3. Elite visa ... 500k is a bit rich .

Over 50 things get more easy with the retirement visa though the rules are changing all the time what can

be annoying .

All this while neighboring countries make things easier and easier for long time stay . Cambodia for example ,

pay 280$ a year to a visa office and they sort it for you . Don't even have to go yourself , don't have to leave

the country , don't have to report so many times a year , don't have to hand in a ton of paperwork , etc . 

They weren't 2 separate pieces of paper. It was a single piece glued in your passport that allowed for the visa to be used twice. So if that's what you mean, yes.

I had a double entry visa a year ago, righ before the METV began. There is a line item on the visa application that says "# of entries".

I put 2 on the app yesterday - she crossed it out and wrote in "1".

Think you are mistaking it a bit. The previous double entry visa was a single visa permitting 2 entires into Thailand. The SETV is a single visa permitting a single entry into Thailand. Just as they wouldn't issue you 2 visas at the same time before each giving you a double entry they won't issue you 2 SETVs now at the same time. You can only have 1 visa at a time.

Think you are mistaking it a bit. The previous double entry visa was a single visa permitting 2 entires into Thailand. The SETV is a single visa permitting a single entry into Thailand. Just as they wouldn't issue you 2 visas at the same time before each giving you a double entry they won't issue you 2 SETVs now at the same time. You can only have 1 visa at a time.

scubascuba called it a double entry visa. I don't know WHAT you call it. I explained it was a single piece of paper with 2 entries permitted.

Now you seem to be calling it a "single visa permitting 2 entries". scuba called it a double entry visa. I explained it as a single piece of paper allowing 2 entries.

So OK, a single visa with 2 entries permitted,,,, IS NO MORE,,,,,, at least not at the Thai Consulate, in Miami, as of last Thursday. Today ? Who knows ?