minted50

which Bank ?

18 posts in this topic

New nordic

Could I please have some advice on which bank 

to join as I'm after opening an account.

This is for a current account to use regularly 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a big thread on opening a bank account in Thailand and how much more difficult it has become in recent times unless you have a longer term visa. I would put a link but the search function is running a bit slow at present due to the upgrade.  In short it is a case of trying a number of bank and you may find one that will let you open an accounts, but it appears that even within branches it depends on the person you get.

However try the search function on banks when it comes back and it gives some help as to how to increase your chances of opening a bank account!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, kd_traveller said:

There is a big thread on opening a bank account in Thailand and how much more difficult it has become in recent times unless you have a longer term visa. I would put a link but the search function is running a bit slow at present due to the upgrade.  In short it is a case of trying a number of bank and you may find one that will let you open an accounts, but it appears that even within branches it depends on the person you get.

However try the search function on banks when it comes back and it gives some help as to how to increase your chances of opening a bank account!

Wrong !!

 

here :  easy to open bank account on tourist visa. here is my report

 

 

Whalley likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I have found Bangkok Bank, generally to be the easiest to deal with..  Others may disagree, but just my experience.

 

just hanging likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2017 at 6:41 AM, minted50 said:

Could I please have some advice on which bank 

to join as I'm after opening an account.

This is for a current account to use regularly 

Thanks

You cant open a current account unless you have  a work permit. Only a Savings Account is possibleits the  same as a Current account exept no cheques. Dont see why you would need cheuqes anyway.

All you need is a Residency certifiacate and Passport to open a bank account . RC at Jomtian Immigration or get  Manerrat Visa agent soi 13/2 to get it for you ,500TBH you have it next morning. I use Bangkok bank very happy with them .Make sure whatever bank you use open your account at the main Branch many advantages to it. You can after bank at any branch you wish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai Bank account:

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed for MC DL and to open a bank account.

All I needed was :

- a copy of the passport, the stamp from the airport (30 days) and the departure card.

- a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days

- 2 pass photos

- 400 Baht

After about an hour I got 2 certificates !

 

I went first to Bangkok bank, I tried but then i changed my mind cause

- ATM card i was offered costed 700 Baht....

- That card is free of charge if I use it in ATMs in BKK and Chon buri regions but not free in the rest of LoS.

So I went to KrugSri bank. I opened the account and paid 300 Baht and got a debit card, I can use in ATMs in the whole nation free of charge....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Kasikorn for years (who were / perhaps still are the easiest to deal with for account opening) but recently tried dealing with Bangkok Bank as there Foreign Currency Accounts (FCD's} give much better online access than Kasikorn which is pretty non existent for FCD accounts as where the Kasikorn current and saving accounts give excellent online access and never had a problem.

Anyways went through the motions with Bangkok Bank, residency certificate, passport all good but then was told "oh no" online access can only be given if have a longer visa i.e. education, work permit. 

But seems to open an account / use ATMs not a problem with tourist visas and residency cert. This was my experience at Central Festival and as mentioned by others going around the branches may get different results.

But as it turned out in my situation to transfer foreign currency out of my FCD's here in Thailand to another country will still require that I do it physically in branch regardless of online access or not..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pattaya city expats club referred me to the Bkk bank at 2nd road/soi 6. I only needed the useless residence letter from immigration (300 baht) and my passport. No scams regarding minimum deposits or insurance. I exited with my card and bank book in only a few minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pattsist said:

Wrong !!

 

here :  easy to open bank account on tourist visa. here is my report

 

 

No I was no wrong!! I said that it had become more difficult than in recent times unless you had a longer term visa and then there is no real difference.

In the past there was no need for a residency certificate, you just went into the bank with some money, your hotel business card for use as your address and within a short while you were walking out with your new bank account set up and probably an ATM card. Also you will see if you read the main topic on setting up a bank account in Thailand (link below) that many people have had to take out mandatory insurance and that some have had more difficulties than others in getting a residency certificate.

You will also see in the link below that opening a bank account in Thailand can be a like a lottery, someone else can do exactly what another member has recommended and be turned down and then another can just be lucky and set up a bank account with no dramas.

In the past it was all very easy...........

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also with the residency certs I read that Immigration won't issue them for opening of a bank account.

When I went there they asked what they were for so I said need one for driving licence and one for buying a motorbike.

Got the certs all in Thai naturally. In the bank one girl pointed out the residency cert states for driving licence!! I didn't think they wrote on the certs what it was to be used for!!

As I didn't go ahead with opening the account I don't know if that would have stopped the process. So probably best to tell immigration its for a bank account as in my case they type on it what the cert is to be used for or better still use the agent mentioned in a post above.

As Kd_traveller mentioned its not as easy now as it was and its true. Residency certs were not asked for when I opened my first account but that was number of years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Doober22 said:

With Kasikorn for years (who were / perhaps still are the easiest to deal with for account opening) but recently tried dealing with Bangkok Bank as there Foreign Currency Accounts (FCD's} give much better online access than Kasikorn which is pretty non existent for FCD accounts as where the Kasikorn current and saving accounts give excellent online access and never had a problem.

Anyways went through the motions with Bangkok Bank, residency certificate, passport all good but then was told "oh no" online access can only be given if have a longer visa i.e. education, work permit. 

But seems to open an account / use ATMs not a problem with tourist visas and residency cert. This was my experience at Central Festival and as mentioned by others going around the branches may get different results.

But as it turned out in my situation to transfer foreign currency out of my FCD's here in Thailand to another country will still require that I do it physically in branch regardless of online access or not..

I am interested in what you say but am confused. Quite a few years back following advice sourced from PA I opened a KSK account, from your post I now realise it may just be a savings account as after several attempts to access online and several visits to the bank I have never been able to access from the UK or when back in LOS and never realised I needed a Foreign Currency Account or as you put it an FCD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geezerrb said:

I am interested in what you say but am confused. Quite a few years back following advice sourced from PA I opened a KSK account, from your post I now realise it may just be a savings account as after several attempts to access online and several visits to the bank I have never been able to access from the UK or when back in LOS and never realised I needed a Foreign Currency Account or as you put it an FCD?

A Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) account is simply an account you set up in a different currency to THB.

If you were working outside Thailand getting paid in USD,GBP, Euro etc and wanted the money in an account of that denomination within Thailand  you open a USD,GBP, Euro etc with your bank and the money goes into that FCD or alternatively you could nominate your  THB account then the money is exchanged at the rate on that day and goes into your THB account.

Kasikorn and pretty much all Thai banks facilitate foreign currency accounts for anyone that wants them. Downside with the Kasikorn FCD you have no online access, and have to do in person anything related to your FCD account.

Pretty sure its a KSK Thai Baht savings account and not a current account I have {that's what I have to select at ATMs anyway) and I have full online access from anywhere in the world and use for online purchases, payments etc etc and can view online anytime as to whats going in or out etc.

An FCD is simply like a holding account (no ATM access) in your chosen currency. Perhaps your waiting for a better exchange rate to THB, want to keep a lump sum in your currency etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Doober22 said:

A Foreign Currency Deposit (FCD) account is simply an account you set up in a different currency to THB.

If you were working outside Thailand getting paid in USD,GBP, Euro etc and wanted the money in an account of that denomination within Thailand  you open a USD,GBP, Euro etc with your bank and the money goes into that FCD or alternatively you could nominate your  THB account then the money is exchanged at the rate on that day and goes into your THB account.

Kasikorn and pretty much all Thai banks facilitate foreign currency accounts for anyone that wants them. Downside with the Kasikorn FCD you have no online access, and have to do in person anything related to your FCD account.

Pretty sure its a KSK Thai Baht savings account and not a current account I have {that's what I have to select at ATMs anyway) and I have full online access from anywhere in the world and use for online purchases, payments etc etc and can view online anytime as to whats going in or out etc.

An FCD is simply like a holding account (no ATM access) in your chosen currency. Perhaps your waiting for a better exchange rate to THB, want to keep a lump sum in your currency etc etc

Appreciate the reply and realise I am asking a lot and may be a bit "slow" but if I become an ex-pat it seems A FCD would be better for me as I can exchange sterling when the rate is better rather than when I need it (my funds would be coming from the UK)? I would then not be bothered about online as an ex-pat. My KSK is a savings account but despite many attempts re-visiting the bank I have never been able to activate online access. Many thanks for your reply and help sorry I struggle these days understanding how these things work, wish I was 30 years younger, I am sure I coped better in those days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

but if I become an ex-pat it seems A FCD would be better for me as I can exchange sterling when the rate is better rather than when I need it (my funds would be coming from the UK)? 

No problem.

Yeh that could be an option and maybe a few here are doing it already so can advise better. Maybe just need to calculate fees to see if its worth it. KSK possibly charge a fee for money coming into your FCD from the UK (it would be a very small charge if any) then another fee when you wish to exchange when rate is better. That would be a transfer from your FCD account to your Thai Baht account but again probably small charge or a % of the amount exchanged. You can check at your KSK branch.

No monthly charge with a FCD only if it drops below a certain amount (think it was 2K) then they start charge something like 10USD a month for keeping the FCD open.

If you have a longer term visa then suggest you talk with Bangkok Bank as they give online access (if you want it) to your FCD account. KSK simply don't provide that service on FCD accounts. Maybe in the future!!

Strange you don't have online access with your KSK savings account. I have what they call Kcyber banking. If your living here full time not a big deal maybe but useful if moving around for work or whatever reason.

Talk with KSK again if you have something other than a tourist visa or ask can you register for Kcyber banking / change over to current account if required to enable Kcyber banking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doober22 said:

No problem.

Yeh that could be an option and maybe a few here are doing it already so can advise better. Maybe just need to calculate fees to see if its worth it. KSK possibly charge a fee for money coming into your FCD from the UK (it would be a very small charge if any) then another fee when you wish to exchange when rate is better. That would be a transfer from your FCD account to your Thai Baht account but again probably small charge or a % of the amount exchanged. You can check at your KSK branch.

No monthly charge with a FCD only if it drops below a certain amount (think it was 2K) then they start charge something like 10USD a month for keeping the FCD open.

If you have a longer term visa then suggest you talk with Bangkok Bank as they give online access (if you want it) to your FCD account. KSK simply don't provide that service on FCD accounts. Maybe in the future!!

Strange you don't have online access with your KSK savings account. I have what they call Kcyber banking. If your living here full time not a big deal maybe but useful if moving around for work or whatever reason.

Talk with KSK again if you have something other than a tourist visa or ask can you register for Kcyber banking / change over to current account if required to enable Kcyber banking.

Thanks I am understanding more but realise now it is not much different to using my UK bank, in fact sometimes their rate is more advantageous than the KSK transfer rate for transfers. As for talking to KSK, they do try to be helpful and I have had so many attempts at launching Kcyber I eventually gave up as I was spending more time in the bank and on the net than any one entertainment venue. Maybe I will try again but I doubt a current account will work as I do not wish to make regular deposits which I believe is a perquisite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now


  • New nordic

    Pattaya Short Term Rentals

    Advertise on Pattaya Addicts

    Pattaya Hotels