Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Australian Adult Video | Babydolls Agogo | Max Performer | Mizz Thai Pattaya Girls | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

  • Announcements

    • Ru4Real

      Nude or not nude, that is the question   01/05/18

      An inordinate amount of the Moderators Teams time is spent on ensuring inappropriate images are removed from the forums where necessary as per Rule 29. On investigating why people have posted nude images in a non-advanced area, the vast majority of the feedback we've had has been "I didn't realise where I was".  Therefore, we have added a visual indicator to help you quickly identify whether you are posting in the advanced or the non-advanced area. If you are in an advanced area you will notice the page background is now a pale green - green for go.                               If you do not see the green background it is your responsibility to double check where you are on the site prior to posting any images/videos. This is doubly important for those using Tapatalk due to the fact we have no control over the Tapatalk theme (i.e. Tapatalk users will not see this visual indicator). Offenders will be sanctioned.
    • whitespider

      Agoda Users - PLEASE READ   18/08/17

      URGENT Attention Agoda Users - Agoda have reduced their cookie length from 90 days to just one day. If you use Agoda, and you would like the forum to receive the commission for your booking, please click any Any Agoda link here IMMEDIATELY prior to making your booking. If you click and then book the next day, without clicking a link again here, Agoda now simply keeps 100% of it. Many thanks to everyone who has supported us in the past - it is very much appreciated.  

Is a retirement visa the right way for me to go?

Recommended Posts


Hi - I am trying to understand if getting a retirement visa is the correct thing for me to do. I see a lot of valuable info in this section, but nothing that is answering my initial question.

I am an American.

I am 67 years old.

I am not planning on moving to Thailand at this time, but am planning on longer visits that are likely to take me over the 90 days per one year limit.

Is the retirement visa the right way to address this. I have download and read Non-immigrant Visa and additional "O-A" forms. What I am trying to achieve is the ability to exceed 90 days per year and also have multiple entries with that. Sorry, if I am being dense, but this is my first time looking into this. I meet the income requirements. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. CF 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no 90 day per year limit.

Thai Visa is really the site for in-depth answers and discussions on this topic, much less so here on PA.

All your questions will have been answered over there by the experts.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The theoretical '90 days a year' is only for Visa Exempt entries. Even with this, you may not have a problem.

You can just get a Tourist Visa before travelling anyway and that will solve the problem. At some point, the Consulate/Embassy may tell you you're getting too many visas but unlikely. You can get 60 days + 30 days extension on each Tourist Visa.

If you prefer, you could get a METV. It's more hassle than a SETV but it will allow multiple entries on one visa within a 6 month period.

No real need for a 'Retirement Visa' unless you plan on staying 6/9 months or more each year.

You could still get one if you wanted, but not essential.



Edit: to give you an idea how easy a SETV is to get... I'm getting one next week. The closest Thai Consulate to me is in Cardiff and I'm there next week anyway for a Bob Dylan concert :GoldenSmile1: I telephoned for an appointment and they'll do the visa while I wait in about 20 minutes. One page form, 2 photos and £35 (£25 for visa & £10 admin fee).

Edited by davidge

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now