Support our Sponsors >> M Club Pattaya | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Australian Adult Video | Pimp Pad Pattaya | Babydolls Agogo | Max Performer |

>> Thai Friendly | Mizz Thai Pattaya Girls | Donating to the Forum | Agoda Users Please Read | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Add your Text here

• Announcements

• kgbagent

New Sub Forums created for other parts of Asia   31/12/17

Due to an interest in other destinations in Asia new subforums have been created and all relevant content has been reordered to suit.  It is called "VIETNAM - MYANMAR / LAOS - MALAYSIA / SPORE / INDO - CHINA /HK / MACAU SUB FORUMS"  Please check it out from the main menu and post away - much appreciated !!!!
    • whitespider

Agoda Users - PLEASE READ   18/08/17

URGENT Attention Agoda Users - Agoda have reduced their cookie length from 90 days to just one day. If you use Agoda, and you would like the forum to receive the commission for your booking, please click any Any Agoda link here IMMEDIATELY prior to making your booking. If you click and then book the next day, without clicking a link again here, Agoda now simply keeps 100% of it. Many thanks to everyone who has supported us in the past - it is very much appreciated.  
ChiFlyer

Bang Saray

ChiFlyer

I am a little older (68) and am looking to make the move to full time ex-pat. It will take me about a year to wind down my US interests and make the funds available for a serious purchase. Nonetheless, I have begun to look around at condos/houses just to understand the market.

I have to say that I have no interest in the racket (noise wise) that is Pattaya. I even find Jomtien to be too noisy with the Thappraya bars and tourists. I am starting to look South from there. Bang Saray seems to have some decent affordable housing available.

Any comments?

scubascuba3
I am a little older (68) and am looking to make the move to full time ex-pat. It will take me about a year to wind down my US interests and make the funds available for a serious purchase. Nonetheless, I have begun to look around at condos/houses just to understand the market.
I have to say that I have no interest in the racket (noise wise) that is Pattaya. I even find Jomtien to be too noisy with the Thappraya bars and tourists. I am starting to look South from there. Bang Saray seems to have some decent affordable housing available.
Any comments?
Looks Nice Bang Saray but i always wonder if people get bored there after a while

DaffyDuck

Why get bored? It's only 10 minutes away from Pattaya, and there's plenty around.

LOTTELLEE WINNA

OP = I have a mate who lives in Bang Saray- he and his missus moved there from Udon Thani...they love it. Really nice place.

chris2004

Do you have a thai partner? if not you can not legally buy a house. There are not many condo developments in Bang Saray.  Plus as you get older you have to think about transport, you might not be driving for long. Better to be on a baht bus route, close to shops, restaurants, hospitals? There are some quiet parts of Jomtien/Pratamnack, it's not that bad.

usexpat46
11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Any comments?

I live in Pattaya and don't notice the noise where I live.  Also Pratamnak and Wongamat are quiet areas. Bang Saray is nice but I think you would also need to purchase a car.

scubascuba3

No harm in renting in Bang Saray for 6+ months, try it and see. Let us know how it turns out

KittenKong
13 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am a little older (68) and am looking to make the move to full time ex-pat. ........make the funds available for a serious purchase.

At that age I would think long and hard about buying anything at all here. There are many possible downsides to ownership and the upsides are mostly limited to buying something at a big discount to the advertised price, holding onto it for many years, then hopefully selling it at time of high demand.

Above all, dont trust anyone here (of any skin colour) when it comes to money.

ChiFlyer

thanks to those you took the time to weigh in. there are some good points here and also a few I disagree with. just to babble a little about what I am thinking at this point.

• Although I am 68, I am in pretty good health and shape. I work out everyday and stay active. My health metrics for my age are pretty good. Increasingly, I am diet conscious. I really do not see myself slowing it down for the next 7 years. That could certainly all go to shit tomorrow, but that would be true if I was 28 as well. I have noticed that my contemporaries who keep living their lives do well. I plan to do the same. 
  • I figured for Bang Saray I would need to buy a car. I have a motor bike now. Not a problem for me. People in my family tend to stay alert and functional into their 80s.
  • Yes, I have a Thai GF. Yes, I trust her well enough to construct a Thai company for the purpose of buying a house. I hear the trick is to make sure I am the only one with voting rights. Still this is a big step and the idea of renting for 6 months at first makes a lot of sense.
  • Like I said this is probably a one year plan with a sequence of small steps.

later,

CF

davidge

Don’t buy anything anywhere without renting for a good while first.

Personally, I would never go down the company route, especially with the way the wind is blowing. However, I am more cautious having been totally screwed 15 or so years ago. Don’t expect the courts to come down on your side if there’s ever an issue. Setting up a company to buy a property is illegal when all is said and done - however many people have already gone down that route.

Encora
13 hours ago, DaffyDuck said:

Why get bored? It's only 10 minutes away from Pattaya, and there's plenty around.

Sorry Daffy, it is about 25-30 minutes to drive from Bang Saray to Pattayain daytime, early morning the fastest I have done it was 23 minutes.
But that doen't bother me, it is quiet, relaxed, and has wonderful Thai seafood restaurants, plus a few farang restaurants, too.

Encora
12 hours ago, chris2004 said:

Do you have a thai partner? if not you can not legally buy a house. There are not many condo developments in Bang Saray. 

Sorry, I think that is not correct. The past five or six years a number of medium size condo developments plus one huge one have been completed, and many more are being constructed now.

You can pick up a rock bottom cheap one (ten years old) for about 800-900K (38 sq M)
And many more for a bit more money. Some are right in the center of town, most are closer to the beach, but not actually on the beach. (apart from one huge ugly 26 story monstrosity, right on Beach Rd. But that appears to be largely unsold, and maybe is more intended as a money laundering excercise for those who have money to launder, I wouldn't touch it!)

Closer to Bang Saray itself there appears to be a 7 story building limit, which is good in that it doesn't really get out of proportion with the village, which is mainly 1-3 story buildings.

KittenKong
2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Although I am 68, I am in pretty good health and shape. I work out everyday and stay active. My health metrics for my age are pretty good. Increasingly, I am diet conscious. I really do not see myself slowing it down for the next 7 years. That could certainly all go to shit tomorrow, but that would be true if I was 28 as well.

I was much younger than you when I bought my condo here, and I'm still younger than you now. Would I have even thought about buying one had I been aged over 65? No. Would I buy one now when I'm still a few years short of that age? No. Would I ever have considered buying a house here, at any age? No.
Buying is easy but expensive here, and selling can be a nightmare that lasts years. This is especially true for houses and company-owned property in general, unless perhaps there is something unique about your property. In Bang Saray that is very unlikely as there is masses of undeveloped land there. Also ownership costs for company-owned property (taxes, accountants' fees, winding-up costs) can be surprisingly high.

Still, your life and your money.

basket case

The missus and I built a house in Bang Saray and we love it here.

There are legal protections one can use, short of going down the company route, in the event things go tits-up.  That said, We bought and built with the idea that we will never sell the place, and my missus with have it if/when I predecease her.

In the past 5 or so years, land prices have definitely gone up.  The typical small, generic condos seem to be in excess supply and have not gone up much, if at all.  Yet the building frenzy continues.

Public transport is minimal.  There is a limited songtaw route thru town.  Pretty much everyone has a car and/or a motor bike.

Frenchguy99
17 hours ago, DaffyDuck said:

Reall Bang Saray to Pattaya by motorbike is only 10 min ?

basket case

Not 10 minutes.  As Encora said, with no traffic about 25 minutes by car.

60minuteman

Renting is the smart move, it's cheap and you can move quickly and simply at will.

chris2004
4 hours ago, 60minuteman said:

Renting is the smart move, it's cheap and you can move quickly and simply at will.

Agreed, buying somewhere at 68 is a bit crazy, unless it is intended to be for the thai wife after you die.

KittenKong
2 hours ago, chris2004 said:

Agreed, buying somewhere at 68 is a bit crazy, unless it is intended to be for the thai wife after you die.

The one has been known to hasten the other.

Encora
3 hours ago, chris2004 said:

I am not sure I agree.

actuarial statistics tell me I am likely to live until about 86, plenty of time to enjoy my own property...

fisherman1
The one has been known to hasten the other.
Bang Suray is a bit out of the way. You may find there are no farang in the area. Better to rent in the area you want to live. Most blokes that rent out of town come back to Pattaya central. Farang to talk to is important. I go to Praithai and not speak english or see farang for 2 weeks. By 2 weeks I cant wait to get back to Pattaya.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

ChiFlyer
22 hours ago, Encora said:

Sorry, I think that is not correct. The past five or six years a number of medium size condo developments plus one huge one have been completed, and many more are being constructed now.

You can pick up a rock bottom cheap one (ten years old) for about 800-900K (38 sq M)
And many more for a bit more money. Some are right in the center of town, most are closer to the beach, but not actually on the beach........

Interesting - what I have in mind longer term is something larger than that - let's say in the 80 sqm neighborhood.

Any thoughts on what are some good places to focus on for this type of target? I realize that will easily take me out of the < 1M THB range.

KittenKong
7 hours ago, Encora said:

actuarial statistics tell me I am likely to live until about 86, plenty of time to enjoy my own property...

A lot could happen in those 18 years. Illness, change of circumstances. All sorts of things. Owned property here may not be so easy to dispose of quickly if you need to move.

To me the 20 years between 45 and 65 looks very different to the 20 years between 65 and 85.

60minuteman
On 14/02/2018 at 07:44, Encora said:

I am not sure I agree.

You can enjoy a home even if you don't own it. What happens if you later find out your neighbour is a psycho with 10 wild dogs he lets bark all night, if you rent you can just move.

KittenKong
On 14/02/2018 at 22:22, ChiFlyer said:

Interesting - what I have in mind longer term is something larger than that - let's say in the 80 sqm neighborhood.

Any thoughts on what are some good places to focus on for this type of target? I realize that will easily take me out of the < 1M THB range.

If you want 80sqm in one of the low-rise condo buildings there you would probably need to think about buying two and knocking them together.

One of those low-rise buildings (the biggest one, nearest Sukumvit) seems to have all sorts of strange things going on with the management. I dont know anything about the other ones apart from what they look like from outside as for me a condo has to have a nice sea view and none of the ones in Bang Saray really qualify for that except for Del Mare. I quite like Del Mare but it is overpriced and I am very wary of the empty plots on either side. The same problem applies to the buildings near De Amber: all of those could have something built in front of them blocking whatever view they currently have. Places like the Pure are more interesting, but much more expensive and more likely to be called Na Jomtien than Bang Saray anyway.