Mr_wimpy

Decent Documentaries worth a watch?

Recommended Posts

Mr_wimpy

I much prefer watching documentaries rather than fiction or shit TV.

Any recommendations.

Here's a couple of mine...

  • The Thin Blue Line
  • The Dangerous Life of John McAfee
  • The Crash Reel
  • Blackfish
  • The Founder (film not documentary but still good)
  • Supersonic
  • Deep Web
  • The Armstrong Lie
  • The Imposter
  • Supersize Me
  • The Killing$s of Tony Blair
  • The Farthest
  • Catfish

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gmingot

Another one to add, "Who killed the electric car?". Amazing the efforts the big automakers went to build electric cars but only to sabotage the very concept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikemikemike

A documentary I really liked was called "Fed Up". Its mainly about the obesity problem in America and whats causing it such as unhealthy school lunches and the sugar industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirRox

Last Days in Vietnam ...  great doc about the fall of Saigon

Beware of Mr. Baker...... Cream drummer Ginger baker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kash buc

I think a lot of BM's here would like the documentary called the  'Shadow Billionare'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
duffMaster

Ikarus . a doc. thriller about doping., it’s great.

Searching for sugar man. A search for a lost  Muscian who believed to be dead, but ...

I also like the one hour documentaries on BBC Storyville Global . Man6 good ones. Rocking Cambodia - Rise of a Pop Diva or the The Road are two good examples. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n13xtn14/episodes/guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stokielad

Last couple of BBC natural history docs with David Attenborough have been stunning Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hjernestimulanz

cocain cowboys/ cocain cowboys reloaded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joethescot
1 hour ago, Mr_wimpy said:

I much prefer watching documentaries rather than fiction or shit TV.

Any recommendations.

Here's a couple of mine...

  • The Thin Blue Line
  • The Dangerous Life of John McAfee
  • The Crash Reel
  • Blackfish
  • The Founder (film not documentary but still good)
  • Supersonic
  • Deep Web
  • The Armstrong Lie
  • The Imposter
  • Supersize Me
  • The Killing$s of Tony Blair
  • The Farthest
  • Catfish

 

 

 

Supersonic was excellent,specially if you where a teenager when Oasis arrived on the scene.

Watched the founder on the plane over last year was good.however made m want a Big Mac!,,

Edited by Joethescot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joethescot

If you guys have Netflix try Icarus it’s brilliant and mind blowing.

BBC just done a great 4 part documentary on the Vietnam war I really enjoyed it and learnt something I didn’t know.

Timeline on YouTube do a lot of good documentaries and upload frequently.

Churchill the early years on youtube is worth a watch.

i find Youtube to be a Mecca for good documentaries on any subject.

 

Edited by Joethescot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scuba+

There is a 10 part Vietnam War series from 2017, worth watching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cerby666

Some of Louis Theroux's are very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.O.S Lyle

"My Thai Bride" is a great documentary and very appropriate for this forum!

http://www.mythaibridefilm.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr_wimpy
1 hour ago, Stokielad said:

Last couple of BBC natural history docs with David Attenborough have been stunning Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2.

If you watch those on a relaxed Sunday afternoon they are epic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acronyms

"What Happened, Miss Simone?" is pretty good if you like Nina Simone's music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cropped Shaggy
23 minutes ago, L.O.S Lyle said:

"My Thai Bride" is a great documentary and very appropriate for this forum!

http://www.mythaibridefilm.com/

One of the funniest, and simply "wtf?", things I've watched in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic36

Ken Burns is the King of docs.  The Vietnam doc that came out on PBS last Summer was outstanding.  About 18 hours long over 10 episodes I believe.  I recently watched another long one called The West.  About the American West.  Long but amazing and it's not watered down.  The History of Jazz was kind of difficult to get through.  I mainly listened to it while working on projects around the house.  Not a big fan of Jazz but I like the evolution of music and the insanity off scene.    Many of these are available on Amazon Prime.

Another good doc is Searching for  Sugarman.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cerby666

My boyfriend the sex tourist. There a few episodes covering different countries but the Thailand one is good as it gives an idea of both Issan village and Nana Plaza life for a couple of girls.  Its on YouTube. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whistlerone

just watched a doco called Foxcatcher based on the murder of an olympic wrestler by a rich socialite,found it interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Puttuyu

Shoah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wengweng
5 hours ago, Joethescot said:

If you guys have Netflix try Icarus it’s brilliant and mind blowing.

BBC just done a great 4 part documentary on the Vietnam war I really enjoyed it and learnt something I didn’t know.

Timeline on YouTube do a lot of good documentaries and upload frequently.

Churchill the early years on youtube is worth a watch.

i find Youtube to be a Mecca for good documentaries on any subject.

 

I have to agree with you about Youtube, its great for documentaries, but I tend to listen to podcast such as Joe Rogan,   or  watching debates about religion, freedom of speech and religion. The guys I love listening to are people like Christopher and Peter Hitchens, Douglas Murray, Stephen Fry     and many others . 

Edited by wengweng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
javasumatra

Cosmos - Carl Sagan

The farthest - Voyager in Space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruza84

Two documentaries I really enjoyed by Chris bell are  Bigger stronger faster -about steroids, and prescription thugs - about the pharmaceutical industry in US 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xdrt33

"The house I live in" - a very thoughtful review of US drugs policy over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joethescot
6 hours ago, wengweng said:

I have to agree with you about Youtube, its great for documentaries, but I tend to listen to podcast such as Joe Rogan,   or  watching debates about religion, freedom of speech and religion. The guys I love listening to are people like Christopher and Peter Hitchens, Douglas Murray, Stephen Fry     and many others . 

Mate, I listen to the Joe Rogan experience everyday on my way to work. Some of his guests are superb. He gets a good mix of people on from Joey Diaz,Brian Callen who are his mates to Louis Theroux and the father of the Scientology leader. Love the JRE he is a very intelligent man himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now