Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Australian Adult Video | Babydolls Agogo | Max Performer | Mizz Thai Pattaya Girls | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

• Announcements

• Ru4Real

Post editing time   31/08/18

Hi folks, please note we have reduced the time you can edit a post to 30 minutes. The ability to edit a post is there for you to fix up things like typos and grammar before the Grammar Police descend on you or to clarify a point you where making that, on seeing it posted, you think could be worded better. Unfortunately, the length of the previous editing window has resulted in several posts being totally changed or deleted which can result in the resulting replies, and indeed the whole thread, being totally nonsensical (over and above the usual that is ) and shows disrespect to the BMs that participated in the discussion. If you wish to clarify a post you made after the window has elapsed, you can easily quote the relevant part of your post and do so. If it is a serious issue, as per current practice, report your post, giving a justification as to why the change is needed, and the mods will deal with it. Just because you made an arse of yourself in the post is not a valid justification. Remember, pause and think before posting re adherence to the rules, legality and the "Nice to be Nice" ethos.
    • Ru4Real

Nude or not nude, that is the question   01/05/18

An inordinate amount of the Moderators Teams time is spent on ensuring inappropriate images are removed from the forums where necessary as per Rule 29. On investigating why people have posted nude images in a non-advanced area, the vast majority of the feedback we've had has been "I didn't realise where I was".  Therefore, we have added a visual indicator to help you quickly identify whether you are posting in the advanced or the non-advanced area. If you are in an advanced area you will notice the page background is now a pale green - green for go.                               If you do not see the green background it is your responsibility to double check where you are on the site prior to posting any images/videos. This is doubly important for those using Tapatalk due to the fact we have no control over the Tapatalk theme (i.e. Tapatalk users will not see this visual indicator). Offenders will be sanctioned.
    • whitespider

Agoda Users - PLEASE READ   18/08/17

URGENT Attention Agoda Users - Agoda have reduced their cookie length from 90 days to just one day. If you use Agoda, and you would like the forum to receive the commission for your booking, please click any Any Agoda link here IMMEDIATELY prior to making your booking. If you click and then book the next day, without clicking a link again here, Agoda now simply keeps 100% of it. Many thanks to everyone who has supported us in the past - it is very much appreciated.  
drunkenviking

About carrying a passport

drunkenviking

I know the law says tourists always have to carry their passport, but I don't want to have it in my pocket(it's fucking big) so I've always skipped it.
I have always  been wondering, what's a good solution to this? In case police pulls you over.

thai2try

I carry a mini photocopy of my passport in my holiday wallet.

I only started doing this the last year or so.

yet I've never been asked.

MF-AJ

From what I've been reading and researching on this very website, it seems the popular thing to do is have credit card sized laminated copy of your passport made. I think I've read that the current visa details are printed on the back? Regardless whatever important info in in your passport can be put on both sides. There are countless threads with info on places and costs to have it done. Do some searching before starting a new thread, im a newbie too but you can get much more information that way and still get your post count up if that's your endgame. 

bigbill340

I have never carried mine, nor have I had a copy made of it. The chances of me getting pulled though are far less because I dont drive over there, if I was to rent a car/bike I think it would be a must to do.

Bill

ajsdlkn

I just take a photo of personal info and visa page and keep on my phone.  

Have been stopped by police a few times but they have never asked to see passport.  

Tripp

I carry it in the car when travelling , but never on my person. I did carry a photo copy for a while, but the cops aren't really interested and so long as you can produce it at the cop shop within 24 hours, I don't think you will have a problem. 

Tripp

I meant to add that another form of ID is usuful to show on occasions.  I have an expired UK photo driving licence (as well as my up to date one that I carry in the car) that I aways carry in my wallet. It gets me onto the Navy beach when I show it to the Navy guards.

baddog666

I make a color photocopy , I carry it with me as my only form of ID..... Has been accepted as requested from money exchange and to buy a SIM .... never encountered a police request .

It's also a good idea to copy your Visa or immigration entry stamp on the same page .

I never carry a wallet in LOS.... no need...I don't drive or use credit cards here.

Bar4

Important is to also have a copy of your TM8 card.

Cheers,

Mark

usexpat46

Been living here since 2005 and have never been randomly asked to show my passport.  The only time that I carry it is when I'm going to the bank, money exchange or Immigration.  In fact when I renew my retirement extension Immigration has keep my passport either overnight or over a weekend to process the extension and have only given me a number to pick up my passport when its ready.

striderman
23 minutes ago, Bar4 said:

Important is to also have a copy of your TM8 card.

Cheers,

Mark

TM8? I guess you mean the landing /departure card. if so  try TM6

Goolabert
3 hours ago, drunkenviking said:

I know the law says tourists always have to carry their passport, but I don't want to have it in my pocket(it's fucking big) so I've always skipped it.
I have always  been wondering, what's a good solution to this? In case police pulls you over.

Are you sure about what you know thew law says?

The spokesman for the Royal Thai Police made this statement in Asian Correspondent :

Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman for the Royal Thai Police, has said tourists DO NOT need to carry passports at all times. His comment came when he was responding to the recent tourist shakedown reports in various media outlets over the past month. He stated that if asked to show their passports, tourists can produce their documents at a later time if necessary.

Bar4
1 hour ago, striderman said:

TM8? I guess you mean the landing /departure card. if so  try TM6

Sorry you are correct.

Billyboy294
Posted (edited)

There was a recent topic about this but i repeat.

Get a laminated card. 100 baht at Kodak shops

My two banks have accepted it dozens of times for getting new bankbook etc. At money changers. When buying a new sim card. AIS giving me an updated sim card. Tops when giving me my discount vouchers. At the Tukcom special sales they have every two weeks. I have bought many items there over the past few years; like my Samsung J7 phone.

And don't get your current Visa on the back.  Your Visa has a limited life , your Passport card will last you for years . Mine now 6 years and 4 more to go.. Just get a paper copy of your current visa and cut small..

And having a copy in your mobile is perhaps worthwhile, but it is no good if the Banks and others want to take a photocopy which they do with my Card..

Edited by Billyboy294

MrLek

Done over 10 trips and rented Scooters loads of times. Got busted for no Thai or international driving license twice 400 baht a throw. Even then they didn't ask to see my passport. Just go to soi 9 and pay the fine. It is probably worth doing just in case there is a crackdown and it happens to be in the week you are there or something. 

If you rent a car and get out on the highway then it would definitely be worth having. 

misteregg

Been coming here 22 years, never been asked for id. Been working here 8years, never been asked for my Work Permit.
Carry a small photo copy of you wish but don’t sweat it.

SirL
8 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

Get a laminated card. 100 baht at Kodak shops

Don't ordinary black and white photocopies cost about B5 in the photocopy shops?  Why bother with laminated?  Just get an ordinary B&W copy including the landing/departure card, trim it down to reduce the size, and fold up and keep in your wallet.

LeoTex

The only times I have been asked for my passport is when driving a car, but have it with me when driving as well as my IDP.

Each trip I rent a car for a few day and do side trips. I always start out going to Sa Kaeo and over to Aranyaprathet on the Cambodia border. There are at least 4 check points as well as roving police stops. Its about 50/50 they are going to ask for Passport.

I'm with the others, I don't carry my passport when out and about. I have a laminated copy and also have a copy made at the hotel of my arrival card.

LeoTex

drunkenviking

Thanks for all the details! Next trip I'll make a laminated copy. I've been pulled over before (In nana, throwing a cigarette on the ground) and he didn't ask for it. But I thought just in case! Heard of disco/bar raids when they check everybody.

striderman
2 hours ago, drunkenviking said:

Thanks for all the details! Next trip I'll make a laminated copy. I've been pulled over before (In nana, throwing a cigarette on the ground) and he didn't ask for it. But I thought just in case! Heard of disco/bar raids when they check everybody.

i've never been checked in 30 years.

Micky2
19 hours ago, drunkenviking said:

The law doesn't say that tourists have to carry their passport..... Thai law does require that every adult carry identification (and I gather it was the first country in the world to introduce a national ID card). It doesn't have to be a passport for foreigners, or the ID card for locals..... any form of ID with a photo will suffice. A driving licence will do (doesn't have to be a Thai one), or even a photocopy of the relevant pages of your passport.

Leave your passport in a safe deposit box, unless you need it for some specific purpose.. It is too easy to lose, one way or another, and replacement is a big hassle.

sofaking

I had a laminated one made at the print shop next to "Boxing Roo" on 3rd road at the end of Lenkee. Have used it at the money exchange, but never have been asked for ID outside of there and the airport.

I got pinched by the Carbiniere in Italy for not having my passport, it was some random roadblock, but I seem to take that sort of thing more seriously when there are six machine gun toting cops standing around me.

Cosmic36

A year ago in BKK our taxi was pulled over and searched.  The BIB was pulling over everyone and putting them through this process.  They were fine with the photocopy of my passport pic.  When I travel between cities I always bring the original with me, and lock it up in the hotel safe or my suitcase.  Seems you need to show it quite often through checkpoints or a hotel.  Walking around Patts or BKK I only bring the photocopy.  

T-T-T

have a photo of it on my phone.. ony time I have been asked for it was when buying a simm card and in the bank. 

Billyboy294
14 hours ago, misteregg said:

Been coming here 22 years, never been asked for id. Been working here 8years, never been asked for my Work Permit.
Carry a small photo copy of you wish but don’t sweat it.

You don't have a Bank Account?