1hourOfLove

Selling Suits in Pattaya

1hourOfLove

:Party1: Sure, there are buyers, but wouldn't a buyer go directly to a tailor instead of buying "ON IMPULSE"?  I don't get why these tailors ask me if I want to buy a suit while I'm teetering and tottering about the narrow sidewalks on Beach Road 1 or 2 in shorts with a camera dangling around my neck.  Do I look like I wanna buy a suit?  Seriously, how many customers do they get to buy a suit that didn't want to originally want to buy a suit?

"Oh, thanks for asking.  I almost forgot.  I would like to buy a 3 piece seersucker in lavender."

electoff

Whatever puts naan on the table I guess. 

neilri2001

Years ago when people still used to send postcards there was a tailor on Walking Street ( YesBoss ) that had two or three stands of them. They were quite nice cards sold cheaply. When someone purchased cards he would take them in the shop to complete the transaction then turn on the suit sales pitch. Sad to say that i fell for it and purchased a suit that literally started to fall apart the first time i wore it        ( which was unfortunately at a wedding )!.

As to the touts they do work. Probably not too many buying on impulse but it will be at the back of of peoples minds as when you think of Thailand you are conditioned to think of temples, tuk tuks, trannies and tailors!

captainito

So does anybody know of a place to get a good quality custom made suit?  I would like to buy one when I'm there in January. 

william77
12 hours ago, captainito said:

So does anybody know of a place to get a good quality custom made suit?  I would like to buy one when I'm there in January. 

Buy one at home, unless you work as a pimp in Farang. Than buy one on beach road. 

LOTTELLEE WINNA
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, captainito said:

Here is a post I made a few weeks ago. Recommend Mr O for sure.

Been to ‘O’ tailors at the back of Tukom this afternoon. Went in at 1pm and spent a few minutes chatting to him about what I was looking for - a ‘fashion blazer’ in navy blue with silver buttons, no side pocket flap, 2 button, no vent and peak lapels. I also wanted a quality crinkle free and lightweight fabric.

So, we chose the cloth and buttons and he did some initial measurements. We also agreed price (3,000thb) and timescales (ready by Friday). So that was me in and out in under 30 minutes.

I left a 1,000thb deposit, and Mr O asked me to return at 4pm for a preliminary fitting. Before I could leave the shop, his missus gave me a bottle of water.

Came back at 4pm, for the preliminary fitting and we talked about a few details - slim fit and the jacket length slightly shorter than normal. All done in 15 minutes. Mr O told me to return on Friday for final fitting and collection....also Mrs O gave me another bottle of water on the way out.

So far I am delighted with the customer experience. Piccie of Mr O’s shop below. To be continued....

Two days later I collected my jacket - perfect in every way.

FCFDFAB5-FA1F-4FAB-ABEC-12C4DD04DB12.jpeg

22D2CF9E-9282-43FB-B422-5F93221E71FE.jpeg

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

william77
16 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Here is a post I made a few weeks ago. Recommend Mr O for sure.

Been to ‘O’ tailors at the back of Tukom this afternoon. Went in at 1pm and spent a few minutes chatting to him about what I was looking for - a ‘fashion blazer’ in navy blue with silver buttons, no side pocket flap, 2 button, no vent and peak lapels. I also wanted a quality crinkle free and lightweight fabric.

So, we chose the cloth and buttons and he did some initial measurements. We also agreed price (3,000thb) and timescales (ready by Friday). So that was me in and out in under 30 minutes.

I left a 1,000thb deposit, and Mr O asked me to return at 4pm for a preliminary fitting. Before I could leave the shop, his missus gave me a bottle of water.

Came back at 4pm, for the preliminary fitting and we talked about a few details - slim fit and the jacket length slightly shorter than normal. All done in 15 minutes. Mr O told me to return on Friday for final fitting and collection....also Mrs O gave me another bottle of water on the way out.

So far I am delighted with the customer experience. Piccie of Mr O’s shop below. To be continued....

Two days later I collected my jacket - perfect in every way.

FCFDFAB5-FA1F-4FAB-ABEC-12C4DD04DB12.jpeg

22D2CF9E-9282-43FB-B422-5F93221E71FE.jpeg

O is very nice! He is also very Western Pro and not like those slimeball suit salesmen. 

However I have experienced that the quality of the fabric is not that good -after a few washes and use! 

vivid2

I grew up in Chicago, and there was a neighborhood that was devoted to men's clothing. It was known throughout the city as a great place to buy clothes at great prices. Literally hundreds of men’s stores all within walking distance of the others. And many custom tailors, as well. The prices were very low, but the quality was hit or miss. Some people swore by the quality of the clothes...while others swore AT the quality. And some merchants were a lot more honest than others.

So there was a story about a fellow who had a custom suit made. He went back for 3 fittings, and the suit fit so perfectly that he was just thrilled when he strutted out of the shop. He looked just great strolling down the street and he had only walked a few meters when it began to rain. He got a his new suit wet and he ducked under an awning until the rain stopped. He thought he felt the suit getting a little tight and when he looked down he saw that the pants and sleeves had shrunk. His sleeves were now about 2 inches too short, and his pants didn’t even come down to the top of his socks.

He was furious, and he ran right back to the tailor's shop. When he walked in the tailor looked at him calmly and said “My my, how you've grown.”

baddog666

They were there when I first came , they are still there. 

Anyone is a potential customer,  that said I don't know anyone who even wears suits anymore.... 

I guess if you were really in the market I would shop in Bangkok or Hong Kong .

Punter

If anything, the touts are less insistent than they used to be. I've had experiences years back when they just wouldn't take no for an answer. I thought they were doing it in the end just to force a reaction.

Ben4454

These suit sellers are awesome. I had one follow me into one of the t-shirt and watch shops before. Just don't shake their hand, they hold onto it while they give you their sales pitch. Whatever you do don't go into the shop or before you know it you'll be buying a suit 55.

Syco
On 11/05/2018 at 01:53, 1hourOfLove said:

Seriously, how many customers do they get to buy a suit that didn't want to originally want to buy a suit?

They wouldn't do it if it didn't work , if they ask 100 passers by in the street and they get one customer , then it's paid off for them.