Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Australian Adult Video | Babydolls Agogo | Max Performer | Mizz Thai Pattaya Girls | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

• Announcements

• Ru4Real

Nude or not nude, that is the question   01/05/18

An inordinate amount of the Moderators Teams time is spent on ensuring inappropriate images are removed from the forums where necessary as per Rule 29. On investigating why people have posted nude images in a non-advanced area, the vast majority of the feedback we've had has been "I didn't realise where I was".  Therefore, we have added a visual indicator to help you quickly identify whether you are posting in the advanced or the non-advanced area. If you are in an advanced area you will notice the page background is now a pale green - green for go.                               If you do not see the green background it is your responsibility to double check where you are on the site prior to posting any images/videos. This is doubly important for those using Tapatalk due to the fact we have no control over the Tapatalk theme (i.e. Tapatalk users will not see this visual indicator). Offenders will be sanctioned.
    • whitespider

Agoda Users - PLEASE READ   18/08/17

URGENT Attention Agoda Users - Agoda have reduced their cookie length from 90 days to just one day. If you use Agoda, and you would like the forum to receive the commission for your booking, please click any Any Agoda link here IMMEDIATELY prior to making your booking. If you click and then book the next day, without clicking a link again here, Agoda now simply keeps 100% of it. Many thanks to everyone who has supported us in the past - it is very much appreciated.  
Fufu308

VAT Refunds / receipts

Fufu308

Hi all,

I heard in thailand its possible for certain shops to provide customers with VAT refunds? this will be of interest for me when purchasing gifts primarily in bangkok.

Would someone please like to elaborate on the process and the percentage?  Im based in the UK if that helps.

Thanks in advance. 

Fufu

bungee

The Thai VAT rate is 7% until 30th September 2018 then it may or may not go back to 10%

If you are bringing more than £135 of goods into the UK from outside the EU then my understanding is that you should declare them and pay UK VAT at 20% on them irrespective of claiming Thai VAT at 7% back.

If you claim Thai VAT back you will have documented how much the goods were worth when you left Thailand. If this is linked to your passport and flight there is always a chance the actual cost could be shared with the UK authorities before you have landed.

Frederik
Posted (edited)

As they want to promote you doing your shopping in Thailand it's not likely the foreign authorities are going to charge you VAT unless you buy huge quantities. If they (the Thai) would pass on the data no-one would use this VAT exemption opportunity anymore and shopping in Thailand becomes less attractive. So in reality you buy something and get 7% off. I saw you could arrange this at the Bangkok airport Suvurnabhami if I write that correctly.

Edited by Frederik

chelseafan
52 minutes ago, bungee said:

The Thai VAT rate is 7% until 30th September 2018 then it may or may not go back to 10%

If you are bringing more than £135 of goods into the UK from outside the EU then my understanding is that you should declare them and pay UK VAT at 20% on them irrespective of claiming Thai VAT at 7% back.

If you claim Thai VAT back you will have documented how much the goods were worth when you left Thailand. If this is linked to your passport and flight there is always a chance the actual cost could be shared with the UK authorities before you have landed.

Absolutely. Though worse case, if you can't prove you bought the goods in the EU then you are 20% down rather than 27% (20% UK + 7% Thailand)

Trevor

I’ve done this with watches a few times and reclaimed 7% at the airport.

When you make your purchase the shop will fill out the paperwork which you need to present at the desk in the departure hall.

You then collect your money after security.

Be aware at both points I have sometimes been asked to show the goods, so pack them in your hand luggage. Also allow enough time for queueing.

Fufu308

Thanks all for the comments.  That has cleared up alot of the concerns I originally had.

@Trevor when you made the purchase and were completing the paperwork did you require any additional info e.g. copy of passport, flight details etc?

I don't intend to be splurging loads on goods to bring back but its always good to know that I can claim a little back for some expenditure,  even if its just enough to cover an additional beer.  And thanks for clarifying about showing them the proof of the goods, as knowing myself I would have overlooked something like this.

Trevor
33 minutes ago, Fufu308 said:

Thanks all for the comments.  That has cleared up alot of the concerns I originally had.

@Trevor when you made the purchase and were completing the paperwork did you require any additional info e.g. copy of passport, flight details etc?

I don't intend to be splurging loads on goods to bring back but its always good to know that I can claim a little back for some expenditure,  even if its just enough to cover an additional beer.  And thanks for clarifying about showing them the proof of the goods, as knowing myself I would have overlooked something like this.

As I recall the form requires your passport details, but not your flight number.

I always carry a laminated copy which I have simply handed over for them to use.

Roadglide
1 hour ago, Trevor said:

I’ve done this with watches a few times and reclaimed 7% at the airport.

When you make your purchase the shop will fill out the paperwork which you need to present at the desk in the departure hall.

You then collect your money after security.

Be aware at both points I have sometimes been asked to show the goods, so pack them in your hand luggage. Also allow enough time for queueing.

Yeh...um, you skipped an important step.  I went and tried this, and was told I had to go BACK out and find the customs desk that is hidden in a corner of the ticketing floor to have them "inspect" my goods.

So if you want your VAT back, before you turn your bags into your airline you need to find the customs desk and have them stamp that paperwork.  What a load of rubbish!

Trevor
13 minutes ago, Roadglide said:

Yeh...um, you skipped an important step.  I went and tried this, and was told I had to go BACK out and find the customs desk that is hidden in a corner of the ticketing floor to have them "inspect" my goods.

So if you want your VAT back, before you turn your bags into your airline you need to find the customs desk and have them stamp that paperwork.  What a load of rubbish!

No I didn’t skip that step....mentioned it quite clearly. 

Maverick__83
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:28, Fufu308 said:

Hi all,

I heard in thailand its possible for certain shops to provide customers with VAT refunds? this will be of interest for me when purchasing gifts primarily in bangkok.

Would someone please like to elaborate on the process and the percentage?  Im based in the UK if that helps.

Thanks in advance. 

Fufu

a load of useul infos reading the following link:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c125905/Thailand:Reclaiming.Vat.html

you basically should shop at shops exposing the VAT refund logo and fulfill a paper sheet (that's named P.P. 10)

when leaving Thailand - I've got experience leaving from Suvarnabhumi but it works exactly at all int'l TH airports - you must show up at the VAT refund box that's usually located on the departure area floor; there an officer will have a look at the papers, maybe wanna physically check the goods (so have these packed into your hand carry luggage) and stamp/sign the papers as approved

then you move on "regularly" (check-in at the airline desk, go through security, etc) and  walking in direction of your gate you'll find the VAT refund desk (as per someone said already allow enough time for queueing) where you'll hand over the receipt previously stamped and they'll proceed in giving you back money or crediting the amount to your credit card

about the VAT you would be expected to pay when landing in your own country..... well is actually a quite controversial matter

for example if you buy wearing apparels or dresses, shoes, bags, mobile phones, cameras, laptop and generally any kind of things that can fits into your luggage or can be worn (I'm thinking about a watch): how the customs at your own country can deduct these are brand new things ? everything can be just your personal belongings so you would easily snake out from paying VAT in your own country

just be sure to remove all the tags, labels, etc that evidently make people understand you just bought that items

different story if we're talking about something that's clearly you bought in another country and you're importing it - the main example that comes in my mind is if you buy a nice wide screen television; quite difficult to explain to the officers of your country you owned it before your travel :rolleyes: 

in this case you'll have to reckon at the very beginning in order to understand if the whole operation it's profitable for you otherwise you'll be in risk to buy a product with a nice price in TH + get deducted the 7% vat (and you gonna say wow, deal) and then pay taxes in your country resulting in a total price higher than if you bought the same item in a shop just around the corner of your living home

StevieGreen

Fuck. I recently bought 3 pairs of Air Max and some Levis at Siam Paragon, about 20k bahts worth. Claiming VAT back never even crossed my mind.

Will definitely bear this in mind for next time.

twilight1234

Yea the biggest thing is having all your paperwork in order. It's a decent sum if you're making some larger purchases.

Fufu308

Thanks for the info maverick.   I wasnt planning in spending thousands but just thought if my purchases all add up then something is better than nothing.

as they say.. every little helps especially for that additional barfine :D

don henley

Perhaps it’s worth me mentioning that if you use Suvarnabumi airport ( not sure about DMK) you need to allow extra time now because of the huge influx of Chinese visitors. They seem to use the VAT refund more than any other group even for extremely small amounts. The queue in the departure area took 30 mins for me just to start the process and have the goods inspected. Once I was airside the queue to actually collect the money was massive ( 99% Chinese) they push and shove, queue jump and allow family and friends to join them in the queue. There was a Thai employee losing his rag with them big time!

So just a heads up allow extra time in case you run into the Chinese. I nearly gave up half way through but thought 4K is 4K so stuck with it - but never again.  

( The Chinese couple in front of me queued for the same time - all for a 40 B refund!)