Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Australian Adult Video | Babydolls Agogo | Max Performer | Mizz Thai Pattaya Girls | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

• Announcements

• Ru4Real

Nude or not nude, that is the question   01/05/18

An inordinate amount of the Moderators Teams time is spent on ensuring inappropriate images are removed from the forums where necessary as per Rule 29. On investigating why people have posted nude images in a non-advanced area, the vast majority of the feedback we've had has been "I didn't realise where I was".  Therefore, we have added a visual indicator to help you quickly identify whether you are posting in the advanced or the non-advanced area. If you are in an advanced area you will notice the page background is now a pale green - green for go.                               If you do not see the green background it is your responsibility to double check where you are on the site prior to posting any images/videos. This is doubly important for those using Tapatalk due to the fact we have no control over the Tapatalk theme (i.e. Tapatalk users will not see this visual indicator). Offenders will be sanctioned.
    • whitespider

Agoda Users - PLEASE READ   18/08/17

URGENT Attention Agoda Users - Agoda have reduced their cookie length from 90 days to just one day. If you use Agoda, and you would like the forum to receive the commission for your booking, please click any Any Agoda link here IMMEDIATELY prior to making your booking. If you click and then book the next day, without clicking a link again here, Agoda now simply keeps 100% of it. Many thanks to everyone who has supported us in the past - it is very much appreciated.  
Ludhamlad

Got Retirement Visa From London

Ludhamlad

My Visa arrived today (Saturday) and I only posted it on Wednesday, no issues or problems a One Year Multiple Entries Retirement Visa valid until August 2019.  I applied for it in the UK because I don't have a Thai bank account and didn't want to be using any agents.

This was what it cost me........

Visa Fee - £125 - When applying by post they only accept postal orders.  Cash if you go in person.

Postal Order Fee - £12.50

Criminal Record Check (CRB) - £45

Medical Certificate - £16.50

Postage to send Special Delivery - £7.30

Special Delivery Return - £6.50

Total cost - £212.80

Well worth it in my view I'm very happy to have it done now.  

Soi7

Congratulation if you will renew here in Thailand you will need that Thai bank account or go the agent route

typhoon42

Congrats!  I did the same thing. Obtained the visa in my home country versus in Thailand.

I did it at my pace.  I just thought it would be easier.

I still get my extensions in Jomtien.  Even though I technically don’t live in Thailand, I’m in and out several times per year so I find the OA visa easier to manage.

I never had to have a Thai bank account for the extension.

Is this a new requirement?

forcebwithu
1 minute ago, typhoon42 said:

Congrats!  I did the same thing. Obtained the visa in my home country versus in Thailand.

I did it at my pace.  I just thought it would be easier.

I still get my extensions in Jomtien.  Even though I technically don’t live in Thailand, I’m in and out several times per year so I find the OA visa easier to manage.

I never had to have a Thai bank account for the extension.

Is this a new requirement?

If you're using a notarized income affidavit then you don't need to show money in a Thai bank.

typhoon42
45 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

If you're using a notarized income affidavit then you don't need to show money in a Thai bank.

Ahhh yes, I use the income affidavit.

Billyboy294
12 hours ago, Ludhamlad said:

My Visa arrived today (Saturday) and I only posted it on Wednesday, no issues or problems a One Year Multiple Entries Retirement Visa valid until August 2019.  I applied for it in the UK because I don't have a Thai bank account and didn't want to be using any agents.

Visa Fee - £125 - When applying by post they only accept postal orders.  Cash if you go in person.

Total cost - £212.80

For about 9,000 baht that seems like a good deal. An agent for first time is around 22,000 baht ,12,000 for renewal.

Edited by Billyboy294

Oukiva
10 hours ago, Ludhamlad said:

// a One Year Multiple Entries Retirement Visa valid until August 2019.

I applied for it in the UK because I don't have a Thai bank account and … //

No, you applied in UK because it's the only place where you can get this O-A Visa.  :rolleyes:

zodiak

I was looking on the UK Thai Embassy website. I can find no retirement visa. Rather a Non Immigrant Multiple Entry or O Visa. Are they one and the same?

Ludhamlad
2 minutes ago, zodiak said:

I was looking on the UK Thai Embassy website. I can find no retirement visa. Rather a Non Immigrant Multiple Entry or O Visa. Are they one and the same?

Yes that's the one it's under this...

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

KittenKong
On 12/08/2018 at 01:07, Ludhamlad said:

Total cost - £212.80

You will still be doing visa runs every few months. Not something I would want to have to do.

I think that the local procedure for converting a visa-free entry to a visa and then obtaining a retirement extension based on that is cheaper overall and requires less paperwork, and of course it avoids the visa runs. It's very easy and cheap via the bank deposit route, but somewhat more tedious (and more costly) for anyone who wants to go the income declaration route and has to get their income validated by the UK consulate. Up to the individual, of course.

Garzan
50 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

You will still be doing visa runs every few months. Not something I would want to have to do.

I think that the local procedure for converting a visa-free entry to a visa and then obtaining a retirement extension based on that is cheaper overall and requires less paperwork, and of course it avoids the visa runs. It's very easy and cheap via the bank deposit route, but somewhat more tedious (and more costly) for anyone who wants to go the income declaration route and has to get their income validated by the UK consulate. Up to the individual, of course.

Really? 

I entered Thailand on a Non-Imm O visa (like the OP is talking about) I got in the US in 2011. I've gotten a one-year retirement extension ever since. To date, I have ~never~ done a visa run. Not a single one, ever. Are you talking about some special bad deal only available to residents of the UK? :-)

Scuba+
Total cost - £212.80

This process is still a little hazy to me as I'm not 50 yet and not needed to do. Did you have to get the docs signed by a solicitor/notary?

Also you'll need to apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement so you won't need to leave every 90 days? Assuming you are retiring here and not wanted to leave the country every 90 days

forcebwithu
20 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

This process is still a little hazy to me as I'm not 50 yet and not needed to do. Did you have to get the docs signed by a solicitor/notary?

Also you'll need to apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement so you won't need to leave every 90 days? Assuming you are retiring here and not wanted to leave the country every 90 days

I obtained my O-A (retirement) visa in the States nine years ago. No notary was required. With that type of visa, no visa run is required, although you will have to report your address every 90 days if you haven't left and re-entered the country in that period. If one does intend to travel outside of Thailand, you will need to purchase either a single or multi-entry re-entry permit. If you don't, your visa will be invalid on re-entry and you'll have to go through the entire visa process again.

Scuba+
I obtained my O-A (retirement) visa in the States nine years ago. No notary was required. With that type of visa, no visa run is required, although you will have to report your address every 90 days if you haven't left and re-entered the country in that period. If one does intend to travel outside of Thailand, you will need to purchase either a single or multi-entry re-entry permit. If you don't, your visa will be invalid on re-entry and you'll have to go through the entire visa process again.
I just double checked the UK website, it does give you 12 months but will need a notary, well per their site anyway.

"Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

Copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £18,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.Criminal Record check from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

Note: Copies of bank statement, criminal record, medical record and marriage certificate must be certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors"

Ludhamlad
4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

There's no border runs to do only 90 day reports and addresses, it's a Multi Entry Visa only difference is the issuing stamp says London not Bangkok.

3 hours ago, Garzan said:

Really? 

I entered Thailand on a Non-Imm O visa (like the OP is talking about) I got in the US in 2011. I've gotten a one-year retirement extension ever since. To date, I have ~never~ done a visa run. Not a single one, ever. Are you talking about some special bad deal only available to residents of the UK? :-)

Thanks Garzan, you've hit the nail on the head, there's no confusion on your part.

2 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

No need for me to have any documents signed, just originals and photocopy of CRB, Bank Statement and MC.  Website says this.....

In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

By the time I need to renew I will have a Thai Bank account sorted but there's no rush to open one now that I have this Visa and no border runs to do just 90 day reporting.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

My Visa is Multi Entry so I can leave Thailand and re-enter until it expires or extend it.  I have heard that if I time it right then this Visa is good for 2 years until I need to extend but this is something I'll be looking into.  It's new to me.

1 hour ago, Scuba+ said:

I just double checked the UK website, it does give you 12 months but will need a notary, well per their site anyway.
     Note: Copies of bank statement, criminal record, medical record and marriage certificate must be certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors"

Copies need signing, if you send the originals as well as a copy then they don't have to be, no documents get returned just a receipt with the passport.  The application process once you get your head around what you need to send is not difficult at all.  A couple of things that had me scratching my head were this....

Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.

An additional application form for O-A

I sent them 2 application forms and the Long Stay form.  The long stay form asks for a reference person in Thailand and their phone number, I put down a Thai accountant who I know.

Surely you'll do yours in Thailand anyway won't you as you have a bank account and I think it's 3800 Baht for the Multi Entry?

Scuba+
Copies need signing, if you send the originals as well as a copy then they don't have to be, no documents get returned just a receipt with the passport.  The application process once you get your head around what you need to send is not difficult at all.  A couple of things that had me scratching my head were this....Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.

An additional application form for O-A

I sent them 2 application forms and the Long Stay form.  The long stay form asks for a reference person in Thailand and their phone number, I put down a Thai accountant who I know.

Surely you'll do yours in Thailand anyway won't you as you have a bank account and I think it's 3800 Baht for the Multi Entry?

If i was in th UK when i reached 50 i would do the Non imm O-A but it looks like I'll be in Thailand so will opt for the Non O conversion instead 

JB300

Non-Imm O Multi gives multiple 90 day entries for 1 year (15 months if you exit/return just before it expires), no need to do 90 day reports (You can't stay for more than 90 days, unless you extend it for 1 year at which point the Visa is no longer valid).

Non-Imm OA gives you multiple 1 year entries for 1 year (2 years if you exit/return just before it expires) - need to do 90 day reports if you stay in the country for 90 days+).

(Particularly with the Non-Imm OA) if you plan to leave/return after the Visa has expired, make sure you get a re-entry permit or you'll be re-entering on Visa Exempt & will need to start again.

Edited by JB300

Taras
On 11/08/2018 at 19:07, Ludhamlad said:

Total cost - £212.80

Mnay thanks for this useful information - I will use it  - How long did the whole process take ? I've heard that CRB checks can be like pulling teeth and take ages?  

Ludhamlad
36 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Non-Imm O Multi gives multiple 90 day entries for 1 year (15 months if you exit/return just before it expires), no need to do 90 day reports (You can't stay for more than 90 days, unless you extend it for 1 year at which point the Visa is no longer valid).

Non-Imm OA gives you multiple 1 year entries for 1 year (2 years if you exit/return just before it expires) - need to do 90 day reports if you stay in the country for 90 days+).

(Particularly with the Non-Imm OA) if you plan to leave/return after the Visa has expired, make sure you get a re-entry permit or you'll be re-entering on Visa Exempt & will need to start again.

That's excellent info and just what I'm needing to know.  So in my case with the OA in the week before it expires I could fly to PP for 3 days and when coming back in it would be stamped with an expiry of a year later?

23 minutes ago, Taras said:

Mnay thanks for this useful information - I will use it  - How long did the whole process take ? I've heard that CRB checks can be like pulling teeth and take ages?  

The CRB website says they should be sent out around 10 working days from applying, mine was a bit more I think just under 3 weeks so not bad.  They did email with a query which I replied to but if you've never had any convictions then nothing to worry about.  If there is a record of a conviction but it's far enough back (over 10 years) then on your Certificate it says 'No Live Trace' if you're completely clean it says 'No Trace'  The application asks the reason for wanting the CRB and when you tick for a Visa they ask which country it's for.

I could have got away without paying for the Medical Certificate if I'd just made a normal appointment with the GP instead of mentioning it to the receptionist who made me pay up front.  I left the form with them but my Doctor was away and they never contacted me so when I finally went to see him he didn't know what it was for (took another form with me) and wouldn't have wanted paying.  This is done through your GP easy as long as they don't want you testing for TB as you would have to go to a private clinic for this and would be expensive and time consuming.  You need to send the application off within 3 months of the date on the certificate.

I sent off my bank statement for the last 3 months showing a balance of around £20,000 always there.  If there's anything you're not sure about feel free to PM me but I think you'll find it fairly straight forward and well worth it especially if we can get 2 years out of it too which halves the price.  All the best.

Scuba+

You can use one of those 150 baht medical certs for the UK application

JB300
17 minutes ago, Ludhamlad said:

That's excellent info and just what I'm needing to know.  So in my case with the OA in the week before it expires I could fly to PP for 3 days and when coming back in it would be stamped with an expiry of a year later?

Correct.... 

Once you get the "2nd year" stamp, remember to get a re-entry permit if you're going to be leaving/returning to Thailand as you won't be able to enter on the Visa once the 1st year is up.

Edited by JB300

Oukiva
1 hour ago, JB300 said:

Why "particularly"?  It's true for ALL Thai Visa.

JB300
4 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

Why "particularly"?  It's true for ALL Thai Visa.

Just because you've got a year so it's much easier to forget/overlook it if (say) you don't exit for 9 months then need to go somewhere for some reason.

If you've got a 3 month entry you're much more likely to not need to exit, especially as 1/2th-1/3rd way through your last entry (though technically you can do it on any entry).you're probably going to be getting a 1 year extension (and hopefully re-entry permit :))

Ludhamlad
53 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

You can use one of those 150 baht medical certs for the UK application

Bit late for me now...price should be £16.50 but another BM got his and he wasn't charged, just a normal GP appointment and take the form in, my mistake was showing the form to reception.

spider0064
On 11/08/2018 at 19:07, Ludhamlad said:

Total cost - £212.80

Picked mine up last Thursday and will be flying out Tuesday next week for the next three months or so.

Similar cost to you although i got the medical certificate at no charge but did travel up to the embassey twice so I think all in around the £200 mark.

Really looking forward to next week as I write this .....happy days