Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Halibed

Around what time did the Thais stop wanting to leave Thailand?

Halibed

The Philippines has a culture where a lot of the lower class, which is most of the population, is trying to get out of the country and go somewhere else.

I heard that Thailand used to be like that. But eventually they grew and prospered out of it. Kind of hard for me to understand considering there's so much poverty here still. 

For any longtime tourists or ex-pats, do you remember about when the general cultural mentality shifted from wanting to get out to having pride in being a Thai and wanting to stay? 

I think recall somebody mentioning it happened in the 90s although my memory is hazy.

Edited by Halibed

Mayor G
On 7/5/2016 at 20:05, Halibed said:

The Philippines has a culture where a lot of the lower class, which is most of the population, is trying to get out of the country and go somewhere else.

I heard that Thailand used to be like that. But eventually they grew and prospered out of it. Kind of hard for me to understand considering there's so much poverty here still. 

For any longtime tourists or ex-pats, do you remember about when the general cultural mentality shifted from wanting to get out to having pride in being a Thai and wanting to stay? 

I think recall somebody mentioning it happened in the 90s although my memory is hazy.

Generally the Thai's are brought up revering family and thought to always stay close and connected. As opposed to Western culture, where you're thought to be independent as soon as you come of age. 

This is especially true if they have elder dependents, children, etc.. and sometimes applies more true to females than males. 

I also note, the Thai way of life (if you stay in LOS long enough you should get this) is something that is nearly impossible to weed out of them. The pace most of us live our lives back home does not appeal to them, well, besides the money and security. 

I guess the rare few that are willing don't have family, or perhaps broke ties. More often than not they'd still rather stay in LOS and eventually you'd meet the family. 

Be wary of the sick buffalo/goat =)

timbota

I have been here since 93.  I have never seen the Thai people as ones who willingly relocate outside of their own country.  Generally speaking, they do not fair well with non-Thai food, cool/cold temperatures, separation from family, Thai tv, language, etc.  I have much respect for the Thai BG's who make a life for themselves abroad.   And in Taiwan, for example, there are factories which employ Thais, although from what I have seen, relatively few compared to Filipinos.   IMO it is more difficult for Thais to live outside of their own country compared to most other nationalities living outside of their own country.

But to be fair in comparing PI & Thailand, if I lived in the PI I would be very anxious to leave for greener pastures and having lived in Thailand, I am in no hurry to leave the Land Of Smiles.

bsand

When the baht like the Swiss Franc became a Teflon reserve currency and the value of western currencies dropped precipitously as governments flooded international markets with made up money to stop their economies collapsing. Back in the UK I remember 76 baht top the pound back in 2003 and older folks can remember 90 ffs. And given the much more difficult visa system and with biometrics and fingerprinting almost impossible to keep trying to come back under different ids you have a perfect storm. That said all the Thai's I know living in the UK don't want to come back to Thailand full time not least because the heat in the hot months is a real killer.