Jump to content

Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Sign in to follow this  
Sam Sallung

Prasat Khmers in Issan

Recommended Posts

Sam Sallung

There are many provinces where u can find Khmer castles;

some of them are ruins but a few are still beautiful

Nearly all of them are in the south of Issan, Buriram, Surin, Si Saket , Ubon Ratchassima , Khorat ( Nakhon Ratchassima ) provinces .

But a few can be discovered in the north such as Prasat Khom which is at about 11 km before arriving in Sawang Daen Din coming from Sakon Nakhon .

21211995583_7ae76f776b_b.jpg

21645981709_3fc38de454_b.jpg

21645172318_15d89a0a73_b.jpg

21842580161_d7fa02b324_b.jpg

21842583061_62d474eab2_b.jpg

During the rainy season

21806784366_7f51958360_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung

Not far from Sakon Nakhon on a rural road which is between rd 22 and rd 213 ;

inside a Wat , the entrance of the Wat

21232356224_408de0e587_b.jpg

21668239849_a492b9b23d_b.jpg

21234039893_b1934ff652_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung
Posted (edited)

Province of Surin

Prasat Sikhoraphum - january 2011 - Olympus FE4030

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasat_Sikhoraphum

21858298565_8d0096b8f8_b.jpg

21671383949_79701067d8_b.jpg

21670495038_d38f024bb4_b.jpg

21670308980_6a9d384709_b.jpg

Edited by Sam Sallung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung

Province of Si Saket

Prasat Hin Ban Samo - january 2011 - Olympus FE 4030

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasat_Hin_Ban_Samo

21855592375_75b84d8ac2_b.jpg

21843714092_8df7923862_b.jpg

21667591440_2d5d3c11b7_b.jpg

21234623453_c987b8d73d_b.jpg

21667401070_b56f40a367_b.jpg

21667622488_5cfbf53a70_b.jpg

21667650508_4de88b270b_b.jpg

21829383576_366784d4f4_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung
Posted (edited)

Province of Si Saket

Prasat Yer ( wikipedia only in french, sorry )

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasat_Yer

21852735386_b7c4cb066a_b.jpg

21878817925_56e9bdd898_b.jpg

21888486041_1482b31ee5_b.jpg

21878857015_cf6fc52b0f_b.jpg

21257807753_fdc61f1088_b.jpg

Edited by Sam Sallung
forgot some informations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung

To be continued :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung

Some more photos of Prasat Phanom Rung

Nikon E4500 - june 2009

21559521568_9174b9b29a_b.jpg

21747385015_1d59a765e9_b.jpg

21560528299_fe3707705b_b.jpg

21735785012_0f24d490ea_b.jpg

21124688324_2d9aa81514_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung

Buriram province

Prasat Muang Tham which is a few km from Phanom Rung in the valley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasat_Muang_Tam

Nikon E4500 - june 2009

21752763561_0c783cba56_b.jpg

21555413750_892a41203a_b.jpg

21555420420_fdf1b06a63_b.jpg

21743431415_d8c77f37fc_b.jpg

21122402943_e4b7f190dd_b.jpg

21555468510_f1ec25e740_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung

To be continued...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bgtp

Nice pix. Thanks for sharing. I've been to a few over the years. I particularly enjoyed Prasat Phanom Rung and Prasat Hin Phimai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung
Posted (edited)

I continue with Prasat  Srakampangnoi in Si Saket province

January 2011 - Olumpus FE 4030

21690592378_218b257170_b.jpg

21866535432_c872ac7876_b.jpg

21257380543_a22b43283c_b.jpg

21878328795_3cd9e8c3e9_b.jpg

21257309193_bf5fe23d4e_b.jpg

Edited by Sam Sallung
some more informations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChiFlyer

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the pics. I am going to have to get my map out. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atticusblue

Makes you wonder about western culture and our lack it.  If these relics were located in, say, Nevada where I live, Mexican and other Latinos would have spray-painted them with graffiti and generally trashed their surroundings.   No, I'm not a stinking Trumpist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rioman

So how many of the people going to these temples going to admit they went out into the country village of thai girlfriend and was that really worth it?  Guess if I am going to look at that sort of stuff would go to Cambodia and look at the real impressive ones(while getting visa restamped) and enjoy screwing the cambodian girls at the same time.  I may be bit bitter as actually took a lovely little Thai sweetheart to Cambodia 3 months ago and that seemed like a good idea for about 2days - she was on plane back to Thailand within 3 days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bgtp
1 hour ago, rioman said:

So how many of the people going to these temples going to admit they went out into the country village of thai girlfriend and was that really worth it?  Guess if I am going to look at that sort of stuff would go to Cambodia and look at the real impressive ones(while getting visa restamped) and enjoy screwing the cambodian girls at the same time.  I may be bit bitter as actually took a lovely little Thai sweetheart to Cambodia 3 months ago and that seemed like a good idea for about 2days - she was on plane back to Thailand within 3 days.  

Yeah, perhaps you're still bitter. I've been to a lot of these temples while exploring the country on my own. Been to well over half the provinces, stayed in hotels not a village, saw a lot of sights, went to some fun festivals and met a ton of great, friendly people. I'll admit some sights aren't anything special and not worth going out of your way to see. But if you're in the area already, why not. As far as some of these temples are concerned, I found some well worth seeing even after I had already been to Angkor Wat. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I really likes Phimai. Had so much fun at the boat race festival one year, I went back again a few years later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChiFlyer
Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2018 at 21:46, bgtp said:

....... I've been to a lot of these temples while exploring the country on my own. Been to well over half the provinces, ......

I did a 3 day tour of the Siem Reap temples. My feet hurt. Still I am glad I did it.

Only problem is that the crowds (Angkor Wat for one) can be a pain, just in that they distract from appreciating the significance of what one is seeing. Also the bullet damage at some from the Pol Pat KR days is sad.

I make it to the Kohn Kean area from time to time with a GF these days. She is from there. We have been to a few temples and there were very few other people there. I liked that.

Are any of the Northern Isan temples mentioned above near there? Looking for a recommendation(s). I might extend our next trip in order to take something like this in. The GF needs about 2 to 3 days for family time. Not complaining. They treat me very well, except the little kids are apprehensive about me. Something strange about that guy. :)

 

Edited by ChiFlyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bgtp
9 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I did a 3 day tour of the Siem Reap temples. My feet hurt. Still I am glad I did it.

Only problem is that the crowds (Angkor Wat for one) can be a pain, just in that they distract from appreciating the significance of what one is seeing. Also the bullet damage at some from the Pol Pat KR days is sad.

I make it to the Kohn Kean area from time to time with a GF these days. She is from there. We have been to a few temples and there were very few other people there. I liked that.

Are any of the Northern Isan temples mentioned above near there? Looking for a recommendation(s). I might extend our next trip in order to take something like this in. The GF needs about 2 to 3 days for family time. Not complaining. They treat me very well, except the little kids are apprehensive about me. Something strange about that guy. :)

I did Angkor Wat back in 2000. I'm glad I did it, too. Wasn't as crowded back then as it is now.

The temples I saw were in Buriram and Nakhon Ratchasima provinces. The OP mentions other provinces, but not Khon Kaen. Phimai is north of Korat about a couple of hours drive from Khon Kaen. Then another couple of hours from Phimai to Phanom Rung.

I also some some Khmer ruins in Kanchanburi which is a ways from Isaan. Not worth seeing unless you're already in the area imo. Apparently, that was the western most outpost of the Khmer Empire back in its heyday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shaksey

Wonderful pics and great report, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john27

WOW you put a lot of effort....Well done :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam Sallung
Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2018 at 20:37, bgtp said:

I did Angkor Wat back in 2000. I'm glad I did it, too. Wasn't as crowded back then as it is now.

The temples I saw were in Buriram and Nakhon Ratchasima provinces. The OP mentions other provinces, but not Khon Kaen. Phimai is north of Korat about a couple of hours drive from Khon Kaen. Then another couple of hours from Phimai to Phanom Rung.

I also some some Khmer ruins in Kanchanburi which is a ways from Isaan. Not worth seeing unless you're already in the area imo. Apparently, that was the western most outpost of the Khmer Empire back in its heyday.

U are right ;

I was in Angkor Wat in december 2005;

not too many people and many areas where I was alone .

Now, 13 y later I know it's different with too many chinese people .

 

@Chiflyer : About khmer castles if u do a little research on Google  u can see they are , most of them, in south Issan;

they are very rare in the province of Loey, Nong Bua Lamphu ,Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon , Nakon Phanom ...and so on...

 

And in Kanchanaburi province,as wrote bgtp,  along the river Kwai and the railway route :  Prasat Muang Singh

https://www.renown-travel.com/khmertemples/prasat-muang-singh.html

 

But outside Issan, in the north of Central Thailand,  u have Sukkhothai National Park and Sri Satchanalai a little bit north of Sukkhotthai

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhothai_Historical_Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_Satchanalai_Historical_Park

 

 

Edited by Sam Sallung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.