Jump to content

Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

rufuss818

Anyone ever been to Mong La?

Recommended Posts

rufuss818

Heard going there is pain but once you get there its an adventure you wouldnt be able to achieve in other countries.  Pretty much the wild west out there.  Just wondering as well, how safe it is?  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenjataimu

If your thinking of going, I'd love to head up so let me know how it goes :) I will be in Thailand for most of February and March, side trip to Cambo aside, if someone wants a shitty wingman :)

I have been to Myanmar but Mandalay only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bgtp

It sounds interesting based on some articles, but I haven’t heard any reviews from someone who has actually gone there for whoremongering. I have to wonder if the articles have been embellished in any way, especially these days with people looking for clicks.

Back in 2002, I read this article about Ruili on the Chinese side of the China-Myanmar border link. Since I was already planning a trip to Yunnan province, I decided to add Ruili to my itinerary. Turned out to be an interesting place to visit and I did take advantage of the P4P there, but it was hardly the Wild West town the article said it was. It was more one of those ‘worth checking out if you’re in the area’ kind of places, not a place worth going out of your way to see. Sure, it’s possible Mong La is different. But if it were me going, I’d keep my expectations in check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rioman

I will need one out of country experience about the end of February so could even be shittier wingman if required and game for testing new place as long as not too much hassle.  If it is will likely be back in Cambodia - SR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
suspicious99

i would also like to add that mongla has recently been blessed by both an outdoor olympic swimming pool as well as two very-high-end house music clubs, both named after airplane and race car engines. both of these clubs would not underperform compared to their las vegas counterparts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whitespider
7 minutes ago, suspicious99 said:

hi. i keep getting banned from the forum whenever i write about this place. could a moderator please explain to me what im doing that leads to these bans? as far as im aware, i am providing genuine, first-hand information on a very rarely seen part of the world map. i don't understand why i keep getting banned for my posts. i just came to this website because it mentions mongla. i have never been to pattaya but i understand the general nature of this forum and would just like to shed some light on the subject of this particular thread.

OK. this is my third atttempt.

 

You will simply be banned again. Instead of wasting our time why dont you read the Rules that you agreed to adhere to when you first signed up!!!???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MidniteM

I have read about this place for 2 years or so. 

Having talked to a well-connected Chinese friend of mine in Hong Kong about this place last week, it is really not the place to go for a white foreigner.  It really is "the wild west" and you could very well find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.  There are many scams for the unsuspecting and pretty much everything that happens in the town is illegal, in one form or another.  It really isn't a place to go to have fun and relax.  I am not saying that bad thing WILL happen, but they are exponentially more likely to happen in this place.

I would be interested to hear first hand accounts of a white foreigner who has gone there without any connections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tarl

Sounds like it would be difficult to communicate there for english speakers. Also doesn't sound very safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
suspicious99
2 hours ago, whitespider said:

You will simply be banned again. Instead of wasting our time why dont you read the Rules that you agreed to adhere to when you first signed up!!!???

i have read them and literally can not figure out how such neutral information to a topic with otherwise no first-hand sources, is breaking any of those rules. i would also like a moderator to point out which rule im breaking

1 hour ago, MidniteM said:

I have read about this place for 2 years or so. 

Having talked to a well-connected Chinese friend of mine in Hong Kong about this place last week, it is really not the place to go for a white foreigner.  It really is "the wild west" and you could very well find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.  There are many scams for the unsuspecting and pretty much everything that happens in the town is illegal, in one form or another.  It really isn't a place to go to have fun and relax.  I am not saying that bad thing WILL happen, but they are exponentially more likely to happen in this place.

I would be interested to hear first hand accounts of a white foreigner who has gone there without any connections. 

there are other non-asian-foreigners visiting every now and then, but most are academics or involved in the burmese peace process in one way or another, and just appear for a day or two. they basically have a panic attack and are either frightened to death or become very aggressive, upon finding out that im living there fulltime.  on one hand i can't blame them--indeed, most of which goes on per square meter in mongla would be against one or another law elsewhere on earth.

to someone who speaks both chinese and ethnic shan dialects, living in mongla, is not by itself a problem and is very fun and relaxing. modern studios are rented at about 2000 chinese yuan per month (same accomodation where casino dealers sleep) going up to 4000 and 5000 for larger 1/2br accomodation. in terms of earning income while in mongla. there is quite a lot to do. but again, most valuables in mongla are of the physical type, and difficult to really export anywhere. sports cars and SUVs are very cheap, but their owners report them as stolen in china, once they are released from casinos, so they can only really be sold to thailand or myanmar. getting them into thailand is exceedingly tough since all roads lead trough burmese military areas. so the vast majority is sold to myanmar.

scams? no. do not walk into a casino and you can not be scammed. that simple. 

researchers, journalists and NGO types always arrive in mongla after extensive access brokering between the burmese government, military and armed ethnic representatives. the process takes them months, before they're allowed a one or two day visit. doctors without borders and malteser international both maintain HIV clinics within mongla, albeit staffed by burmese citizens, rather than chinese or the armed ethnic population.  

finally, regardless of method of entry, living in mongla long-term will not happen without meetings with both chinese and armed ethnic representatives. 

1 hour ago, Tarl said:

Sounds like it would be difficult to communicate there for english speakers. Also doesn't sound very safe.

a very small and elite group of government official's son's and daughters speak english, swedish, portuguese and other languages. everyone else basically can not speak english or read english or understand western concepts at all. there is no facebook, Twitter or google, because the internet is supplied by china, where those are banned. the only "general people" who will be speaking english, are the recent rohingya refugees who have arrived from rakhine state. this due to them (in their own words, i am not taking sides!) being of indian-bengali origin, where english education is common.

i hope this information is useful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenjataimu

How to get there for a white westerner Australian. I am not interested in judging what people do there, I couldn't give a shit aside from genuine curiosity. I am interested. In going to somewhere off the map and experiencing something different. I have zero knowledge of Mandarin so that appears to be the most problematic issue?

PS I appreciate the posts very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mognam

sounds interesting.  I too would like to visit the place.  what are the steps I would have to take to go there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whitespider
18 hours ago, suspicious99 said:

i have read them and literally can not figure out how such neutral information to a topic with otherwise no first-hand sources, is breaking any of those rules. i would also like a moderator to point out which rule im breaking

 

I suggest you read rule 19 first - especially the bit that says "NO exceptions"

I then suggest you read rule 17 - which you are breaking with the statement i have quoted here.

Once you have read them I suggest you STFU and move on! Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheongsam
On 02/05/2018 at 12:57, rufuss818 said:

Heard going there is pain but once you get there its an adventure you wouldnt be able to achieve in other countries.  

Mong(er Shangri)-La?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Cheongsam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gothom
On 15/12/2018 at 07:24, Kenjataimu said:

How to get there for a white westerner Australian. I am not interested in judging what people do there, I couldn't give a shit aside from genuine curiosity. I am interested. In going to somewhere off the map and experiencing something different. I have zero knowledge of Mandarin so that appears to be the most problematic issue?

PS I appreciate the posts very much.

You probably can't. You're not going to get access from anywhere in Myanmar. You need a pass that you won't get. Most people cross from China, and they use Chinese Yuan up there. As a white guy on a western passport, you won't be able to cross there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.