Jump to content

Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Cable Guy

5 Day Retirement Visa Process

Recommended Posts

Garzan
26 minutes ago, hioctane said:
1 hour ago, Garzan said:
Really up to you, ~but~ if it were me, I'd take a Motorcycle Safety Course back in the US, and if I didn't have a bike, and it sounds like you don't, borrow or rent a bike to get an endorsement on your US license, and then come over with an IDP in hand. The Motorcycle Safety Course will give you some basic knowledge (not that it will help all that much with the way people ride in Thailand) and a little bit of practice in a reasonably sane environment. 
Since Thailand is arguably the most dangerous place in the world to be on the highway, if you don't ride back in the US, why do so here? (assuming you're a holiday visitor).

I have looked into it in the past. It seems like I will be learning manual shift on more powerful bikes which I never plan on riding! I just want to ride a slow moped for convenience in LOS.

Like I said, up to you. Plan on taking a written and practical exam, and sit through the videos, as well as the color and reaction speed test. Nothing too terrible; mostly tedious. 

Really though, as good as public transportation is in Pattaya, you really don't need a bike, especially if you intend to mix in drinking with your holiday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
biggles

If you search on line you can get copies of the questions and answers in English. Mate did this so he could coach his wife. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hioctane
Like I said, up to you. Plan on taking a written and practical exam, and sit through the videos, as well as the color and reaction speed test. Nothing too terrible; mostly tedious. 
Really though, as good as public transportation is in Pattaya, you really don't need a bike, especially if you intend to mix in drinking with your holiday. 
I stay on extended one month holidays and I tend to stay further out now. I don't really drink during the day when I will be riding. I want to explore more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
typhoon42
1 hour ago, Garzan said:

Really up to you, ~but~ if it were me, I'd take a Motorcycle Safety Course back in the US, and if I didn't have a bike, and it sounds like you don't, borrow or rent a bike to get an endorsement on your US license, and then come over with an IDP in hand. The Motorcycle Safety Course will give you some basic knowledge (not that it will help all that much with the way people ride in Thailand) and a little bit of practice in a reasonably sane environment. 

Since Thailand is arguably the most dangerous place in the world to be on the highway, if you don't ride back in the US, why do so here? (assuming you're a holiday visitor).

That’s exactly what I plan on doing this summer before I arrive in Thailand in the fall.  Even though I know how to ride and have owned in the past I never had a official license for motorcycle.

The course in San Diego provides the bike and helmet.  Following the course I take my certification to the DMV and take the written test.  With the endorsement I obtain the IDP with motorcycle endorsement.

In Thailand I’ll just sit through there video requirement.

Just like my OA retirement visa, I prefer to do as much of the process as I can in my country at my pace other than Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cable Guy
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 15:18, Tripp said:

He has history then?

No Idea,  but why would I need a Visa for Canada, seems we have a huge number of pent-up-stressed expats here. Take it easy, do whatever you have time and money for, its only information,

not a demand.

Edited by Cable Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chris2004

You would have to be pretty desperate to use these illegal scams. If you haven't got the 800k/65k a month you shouldn't be here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tarl
9 minutes ago, chris2004 said:

You would have to be pretty desperate to use these illegal scams. If you haven't got the 800k/65k a month you shouldn't be here.

I know a few expats who use visa agents and have both 800k in the bank and much more than 65k coming in a month. For some it is about not being worth their time and effort to do themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chris2004
22 hours ago, Tarl said:

I know a few expats who use visa agents and have both 800k in the bank and much more than 65k coming in a month. For some it is about not being worth their time and effort to do themselves.

I can understand people using agents to save time, fair enough, but in this case it sounded like he was using them to illegally bypass the visa regulations which, IMO, is very different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
padfoot

I will be the first to admit that my yearly visit to Bangkok Immigration at Chaeng Wattana is the worst day of the year. I do my O-A renewal, reentry permit and 90 day report on that day and in Bangkok it is a time consuming process. But the next day when I have my laminated copy of my passport with the visa on the back in my hands I get a big smile on my face. I am good for another year. And that is a most excellent feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.