Fufu308

Direct hotel booking or third party site, such as Agoda.

Fufu308

I just wanted to ask you guys whether in your experience you tend to book directly (for a cheaper rate) or through third party sites in the hope to accumulate 'reward points'.

Myself i tend to book directly with the hotel as never experienced any problems going directly with the hotel.

Ru4Real
25 minutes ago, Fufu308 said:

book directly (for a cheaper rate)

Been a long time since I've managed that. Places I stay, always cheaper via 3rd party sites.

matrix123

I book direct. Have points and better chance to get upgrade.

Crushed
Posted (edited)

I can't remember the last time I booked directly through a hotel unless you count a walk-in and I have no idea if that was cheaper.  Nearly always use 3rd party sites these days.  For the record, it was this forum which originally influenced me to use 3rd party sites.

Edited by Crushed

logboy

I have used 3rd party sites the last 6-7 years 

Buddy Edgewood

Depends on the hotel, I check both to see which has the better deal.  Same goes with airfares.

tenpro

I've noticed that the hotels that are part of a global chain (Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, etc) typically offer the best price when you book directly through their website. The smaller, independent ones are where you see more variance

Fufu308

Thanks guys looks like i will do both searches when identifying individual hotels.

glenjean

I have used 3rd party sites the last 8 or 9 years booking directly through their websites and it is significantly cheaper than booking directly with a hotel. Additionally if you have a few months or several weeks time in advance  and check these 3rd party sites (Agoda , Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) on a hourly or daily basis the prices vary significantly also.

You can check the websites in the morning and a room may be advertised for $40 US dollars per night and 6 or 8 hours later on the same site the exact same room is advertised for $29 US dollars per night.

Many times trying to book directly with a hotel in Pattaya or Bangkok you encounter problems in communicating with the hotel or getting a reply and response from them in a timely business like manner. I find it easier, quicker and less stressful or frustrating when  I deal directly with 3rd party sites .

qwedsaqwedsa2

Trivago or expedia, though some larger chains have loyalty rewards and such

themelonman
1 hour ago, qwedsaqwedsa2 said:

Trivago or expedia, though some larger chains have loyalty rewards and such

Yeah,  but I’ve found the loyalty rewards from Expedia very rewarding also. 

Those “larger chain” ones have never been worth it to me, as their base rates are double what I’d usually budget to begin with. I just don’t feel comfortable in marble foyers. And the spam from their “partner” offers pisses me off real quickly. 

PBear66

You get marble foyers in a lot of the great value for money hotels in Pattaya. Wasting money on high end hotels is a mugs game in my opinion.

jbl85

I always use a trusted third party website (hotels.com / Agoda). If you have any trouble, they should cover your ass. 

3 years ago, I was staying at Nova Gold. I had to go back in Europe in emergency (a friend got a severe car injury). I asked for a refund for the remaining 2 weeks. The hotel says « no, no refund ». I called hotels.com, explained the situation ... 15 minutes after: I received my refund ! 

So, third party are not just a question of price. Sometimes it’s also a matter of trust.