Sign in to follow this  
KennyPowers

Need 1 Month Visa Ext. on I Month Visa, USA Passport

KennyPowers

I think rules vary by country, so hope to get an answer from someone with experience on a USA passport. My flight has been cancelled due to Typhoon Maria, and I may need to wait a few days before Eva Air can re-book me. The last day for my Visa is this Friday. If the new flight is after this day then I should get a visa extension. What do I need to process the extension? Do I simply need a new flight schedule confirmed? A friend told me my hotel will need to give a form to show at immigration. Is that true? What if I just have a confirmed hotel booking receipt? Thanks in advance. To be clear, I entered on a 1 month toursist visa. The exit stamp is July 13. I can go to immigration at BKK or Jomtien. Perhaps Jomtien is my first choice. 

usexpat46

You could do nothing, the fine for overstaying is 500 baht per day and usually no fine if its only 1 day.  The visa extension cost 1900 baht, you'll need your passport, passport photo and fill out the extension form which can be done in Jomtien.

biggles

Overstay for a few days only becomes a problem if you have to produce your passport before you get to the airport, e.g a traffic stop or accident. If you hire a bike, turn it in before hsnd, reduces your chance of being picked up for a check. 

bgtp

Too late to help the OP, but I figured I’d pass this info along in case anyone else was interested. I came into the country on a 30 day visa exemption, USA passport, and went to immigration in Jomtien yesterday to get an additional 30 days. They were fine with a hotel receipt as proof of where I was staying. Proof of a flight out of the country was not required. It really wasn’t much of a hassle and I was in and out in less than 40 minutes.

Still, it’s a lot better to get a tourist visa in advance to avoid the need to visit immigration if you want to stay for more than 30 days imo. That’s what I always do. Weather affected my current itinerary which changed my time in county from 29 to 33 days which is how I ended up having to get the exrension.

One thing I noticed this trip was hotel reception checking my passport stamps for the last day I was eligible to be in the country. Not sure what they would do if you wanted to stay longer than that date. I’m wondering if maybe they wouldn’t rent you a room on any overstay days, but I don’t know the answer to that. Anyone else here know?