Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

swordfisch

Non-O & one-year extension (retirement)

swordfisch

54 yo Aussie male

Monthly income > bt 65000

I'll enter Thailand on a 30 day visa exemption & convert to a single Non-O visa (bt 2000) at Chaengwattana Immigration in Bangkok

Then apply for a one-year extension of stay for the reason of retirement from Jomtien (bt 1900)

Visa exemption to Non-O visa conversion:

1. Can I expedite this on the same day that I arrive in Bangkok?

2. What documents will I need for this conversion.

3. Will all these documents need to be in Thai?

Non-O Visa extension:

1. Is it only the Australian embassy in Bangkok that can issue (for Aussies) the proof of monthly income document?

'bring details of your income over a 3 month period, e.g. bank statements etc., to your associated embassy and receiving a notarized letter that states your monthly income to present to Thai immigration.'

2. Does this document need to in Thai?

3. Will I need to furnish proof of my Thai residential address?

4. Apart from a passport photo, what other documents / forms will I need to supply?

5. When leaving Thailand, will I need a re-entry permit? What is the cost & are they available form Jomtien Immigration?

Are any of the ex-pat visa services worth considering?

Key visa have stated they can expedite my Non-O visa extension, but for a hefty aud$1200 tariff.

I understand that this service will alleviate a great deal of stress & wasted time, but $1200 ain't peanuts...

All constructive advice appreciated 

TommyUK69

You best contact Thai embassy in your own country and get the correct info. It's not difficult to get a None O retirement visa.

I strongly advise against using agents but its your money at the end of the day.

Goolabert
Posted (edited)

Getting a Non-O in Australia before you come over would be the best option if you can do it.

The only proof of income letter accepted is the one from your embassy.

Proof of residence, preferably a long-term lease, will be needed for sure at Jomtien and probably at Bangkok as well. Of course owning your own condo is good enough also.

Nothing needs to be translated to Thai for Bangkok or Jomtien.

You will need a re-entry permit afterwards before leaving the country (1000 Baht for single re-entry or 3800 Baht for multiple re-entry)

in It's also possible for Jomtien to send your passport to Bangkok for the initial Non-O. They shouldn't charge you anything extra for that but unless all your paperwork is bulletproof they might ask for some very high "special fee's" might be charged for that but if you are considering a service then Jomtien "Special Service" might be a cheaper option.

A friend of mine did exactly that a couple of years ago and they gave him the one year extension immediately after getting the passport back from Bangkok so he had almost a 15 month permission to stay (90 day Non-O plus one year extension).  His paperwork was all in order but they had a problem with is lease. They insisted only a one year lease was acceptable. The special fee made the lease he had become acceptable all of a sudden.

I've never used Bangkok Immigration but have helped a couple of people do this at Jomtien.

Forms used:

TM 87 - Application For Visa (For 90 Day Non-O)

TM 7  - Extension Of Stay

TM 8  - Re-Entry Permit

Edited by Goolabert

usexpat46

Agree with the above post.  I own my condo and all I bring for proof is my PEA electric bill.  Regarding the re-entry permit, if you leave LOS without having one then when you return your Non O and retirement extension will be void and you'll have to start the process over.

MikeShiva

Maybe t  his is late but once you get your letter from the embassy you need to have it notarized by the thai government.   Can't remember the name, but its about 1,000 yards from immigration. Without it being notarized, can't proceed to get retirement visa. 

forcebwithu
1 hour ago, MikeShiva said:

Maybe t  his is late but once you get your letter from the embassy you need to have it notarized by the thai government.   Can't remember the name, but its about 1,000 yards from immigration. Without it being notarized, can't proceed to get retirement visa. 

The income affidavit is already notarized by the US Embassy. Jomtien Immigration has never asked for a second notarization from the Thai Govt in the eight years I've been here.

ChiFlyer

Sorry for being a little lame, but I am still trying to understand these terms ....

What is the difference between a Non-O and an O-A? Is it an Aussie thing?

tia,

CF

davidge

To the OP:

I’d probably get a SETV before travelling to allow a little more time. I understand the conversion to non-O can take a couple of weeks. It can all be done at Jomtien, it’s just they send it to Bangkok for processing.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Sorry for being a little lame, but I am still trying to understand these terms ....

What is the difference between a Non-O and an O-A? Is it an Aussie thing?

tia,

CF

There are, basically, 2 categories of Visa. Tourist Visas and Non-immigrant Visas. There are then at least 10 types of non-immigrant visa, including education, marriage, journalist etc etc.

For those of us over 50, and wise enough not to be married, the relevant one is the Non-immigrant O visa based on being retired. This is referred to as a ‘Non-O’. It gives a 90 days stay each time. You can get one in an Embassy/Consulate in your own country or from within Thailand.

The Non-immigrant O-A Visa is a long stay Visa based on being retired. It gives a 12 month stay each time and is available only in an Embassy (or Consulate in some places but not in UK any longer) in your own country. It is not available within Thailand.

MikeShiva
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

The income affidavit is already notarized by the US Embassy. Jomtien Immigration has never asked for a second notarization from the Thai Govt in the eight years I've been here.

demanded it  at Bangkok

Oukiva
On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:12, swordfisch said:

I'll enter Thailand on a 30 day visa exemption & convert to a single Non-O visa (bt 2000) at Chaengwattana Immigration in Bangkok

Then apply for a one-year extension of stay for the reason of retirement from Jomtien (bt 1900)  //

You cannot do that.  It's not possible to convert just like that your visa (or no-visa) in an Non-O. :wacko:

The only exception I know is when you need to get a Non-O to get a yearly extension (for retirement, marriage, …) but then you need to prove first that you can get this extension by showing for the Non-O all the documents required for the Extension.

Billyboy294
9 hours ago, MikeShiva said:

For more than 10 years I  have been getting a letter from the British Embassy regarding pension and it has never been notarized. Last time I got the Letter it came by post.

ChiFlyer
18 hours ago, davidge said:

The Non-immigrant O-A Visa is a long stay Visa based on being retired. It gives a 12 month stay each time and is available only in an Embassy (or Consulate in some places but not in UK any longer) in your own country. It is not available within Thailand.

Thanks once again.

I have an O-A and I got it in the US about 1 year ago at the Chicago Consulate. A bit of a pain in the arse to complete all of the supporting documentation and get all of that properly notarized, but a very solid way to go. And that is why I am a little concerned about keeping it alive.

Rocketboy
On 25/08/2018 at 11:48, MikeShiva said:

Exactly as I found out after getting my income verification letter in BKK at the US Embassy.

They didn't tell me it needed to be notarized by the Thai Ministry of Affairs in BKK.  Only found out at immgration here in Pattaya. It would have meant another trip to BKK but fortunately I was able for 1200 get it done for me by a guy at Maneerat Visa office on Soi 13.

forcebwithu
1 hour ago, Rocketboy said:

Exactly as I found out after getting my income verification letter in BKK at the US Embassy.

They didn't tell me it needed to be notarized by the Thai Ministry of Affairs in BKK.  Only found out at immgration here in Pattaya. It would have meant another trip to BKK but fortunately I was able for 1200 get it done for me by a guy at Maneerat Visa office on Soi 13.

I've been using the US Embassy income affidavit for my extension to stay for eight years now. Latest was this afternoon. Not once have they required me, or anyone I know to have it notarized by the Thai Ministry of Affairs. Now @MikeShiva did mention in his post "retirement visa", so I can't speak to that. Kind of a moot point anyway since this is the last year we can use that as proof of financial status.

MikeShiva
7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I've been using the US Embassy income affidavit for my extension to stay for eight years now. Latest was this afternoon. Not once have they required me, or anyone I know to have it notarized by the Thai Ministry of Affairs. Now @MikeShiva did mention in his post "retirement visa", so I can't speak to that. Kind of a moot point anyway since this is the last year we can use that as proof of financial status.

where is the indication this is the last year can use embassy letter as proof of financial . Understand the British will stop issuing such letters in January, but as far as I know, no annoucement  from  Thai government they will not accept such letters from the U.S. and other embassies. 

forcebwithu
24 minutes ago, MikeShiva said:

where is the indication this is the last year can use embassy letter as proof of financial . Understand the British will stop issuing such letters in January, but as far as I know, no annoucement  from  Thai government they will not accept such letters from the U.S. and other embassies. 

dave01
24 minutes ago, MikeShiva said:

Better check you embassy site mate.... US and OZ followed suit.. this is deffo the last year for Brits, Americans and Aussies.  Need to make other plans unless things change.

BTW, the only change that Thai Immigration has asked for, is the the embassies actually verify what their nationals are telling them... All 3 embassies have said "not interested in that"...

MikeShiva
2 minutes ago, dave01 said:

Better check you embassy site mate.... US and OZ followed suit.. this is deffo the last year for Brits, Americans and Aussies.  Need to make other plans unless things change.

BTW, the only change that Thai Immigration has asked for, is the the embassies actually verify what their nationals are telling them... All 3 embassies have said "not interested in that"...

checked and you are right,  posted on the U.S. embassy Bangkok site.

Insomniac
On 08/11/2018 at 23:03, forcebwithu said:

Mainly because Notary Public is not a legal entity in Thailand. Anyone asking for one at an Immigration Office needs to brush up on Thai Law! Although I wouldn't advise telling them this:NoNo3:

Tarl
1 hour ago, Insomniac said:

Mainly because Notary Public is not a legal entity in Thailand. Anyone asking for one at an Immigration Office needs to brush up on Thai Law! Although I wouldn't advise telling them this:NoNo3:

They do have notary services though that are legal and recognised in Thailand. Just not recognised at least in Oz.

Insomniac
9 hours ago, Tarl said:

They do have notary services though that are legal and recognised in Thailand. Just not recognised at least in Oz.

Notary services in Thailand are only a matter of faith, which are only financially guaranteed if the purported Notary is a lawyer and has a licence from the Thai Law Society. No legal backing, and you would have to sue. All these Pattaya translation services work without legal backing and you may as well get a confirmation from your local bar girl.

Tarl
29 minutes ago, Insomniac said:

Notary services in Thailand are only a matter of faith, which are only financially guaranteed if the purported Notary is a lawyer and has a licence from the Thai Law Society. No legal backing, and you would have to sue. All these Pattaya translation services work without legal backing and you may as well get a confirmation from your local bar girl.

Yeah agree, always best if you use one to make sure they are registered. Good summary here:

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Thailand-Notary-Service.php

Oukiva
On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 07:27, dave01 said:

It's not a change. The letter "verifying your income" was a requirement for years already.

See http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq in 22 2.2

Tarl
31 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

It's not a change. The letter "verifying your income" was a requirement for years already.

See http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq in 22 2.2

It is a definite change. It is not up to another country to tell our embassy to change their current verification procedure of a stat dec.

Oukiva
17 minutes ago, Tarl said:

It is a definite change. It is not up to another country to tell our embassy to change their current verification procedure of a stat dec.

Where did you see that? :unsure:

The AUS Embassy announcement just says "Thai Immigration wants us to verify your income", and as I said above, "verifying your income" is nothing new.