Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Billyboy294

Retirement Visa problem - New Rules

SteveX08
27 minutes ago, timbota said:

feel the quality of life is much better in Thailand when compared to the PI.

Particularly if you have tried the vast array of PI food ...

usexpat46
34 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

I started a thread over at thaivisa a few weeks ago asking about Philippines as a retirement option and the general consensus from people living there was Thailand is better, didn't sound great and i ruled it out

I ruled out visiting the Philippines many years ago when some friends of mine told me that they had armed guards at the ATM machines.  Don't know if that's still happening but it sounded like crime was a much bigger problem than in LOS.

Srirachapocalypse
Just now, usexpat46 said:

I ruled out visiting the Philippines many years ago when some friends of mine told me that they had armed guards at the ATM machines.  Don't know if that's still happening but it sounded like crime was a much bigger problem than in LOS.

Hah, well it's is perhaps a bit more wild west. I recall armed guards in one of the Goldie Locks Bakeries in Manila back in the days of Martial Law under Marcos, but I've never had anything other than kids trying to pickpocket me, and I've had that happen plenty in Bangkok too. My main gripe is that other than everyone having their eyes glued to their cellphones for the most part the Philippines looks just like it did 40 years ago. Back then Olongapo City and the Subic Bay area was a much more interesting place than Pattaya, which was still pretty small. Watching Pattaya continue to grow outwards and especially upwards and do the best it can creating an infrastructure has been great. Olongapo City .. still the same slum it's always been other than a bit of modernization near the SM where Magsaysay runs into the main gate of the old base. 

Babydolls Agogo
1 minute ago, Srirachapocalypse said:

I recall armed guards in one of the Goldie Locks Bakeries

At  many 7 11 as well

Garzan
20 minutes ago, SteveX08 said:

Particularly if you have tried the vast array of PI food ...

That's what I remember from several port calls at Subic Bay. Never ask what was in anything you ordered. Like it, or don't like it, but never ask what it was made from. :-) 555

Srirachapocalypse
1 minute ago, Garzan said:

That's what I remember from several port calls at Subic Bay. Never ask what was in anything you ordered. Like it, or don't like it, but never ask what it was made from. :-) 555

BTW the shit on a stick that they called monkey meat wasn't really monkey, it was usually pork but they said it was monkey to make it sound more exotic LOL. Then again Thai food can surprise the shit out of you too ... literally :) 

Tarl
1 hour ago, usexpat46 said:

Those are the exact same documents that Americans must file to the IRS when filing their Federal taxes annually. We receive 4 copies each year, 1 to file with federal taxes,  1 to file with state taxes, 1 to file with local taxes and 1 for our personal records.

I produce my bank records on nterest and provide information on share dividends etc for my tax but it is still independently checked by our tax office.

biggles

The money you deposit for the SRRV is helf on a deposit in a bank chosen by you. You can use it as condo deposit but there was a minimum price as I recall. When u give up your visa PRA notify immigration who then provide authorization to get your money back l. Send them an email, very helpful folk

kane666

New thread on TV saying the income route will basically be gone from 2020 unless it is a government pension proven with a letter from your embassy. Embassy doesn't do the letter? Tough shit.

Edited by kane666
added content

Scuba+
New thread on TV saying the income route will basically be gone from 2020 unless it is a government pension proven with a letter from your embassy. Embassy doesn't do the letter? Tough shit.

Looks like fake news. Lets hope no one jumps because of it

Oukiva
1 hour ago, kane666 said:

I saw the document in this TV topic; I would not worry about it. :wink:

Looks like a first interpretation by one Immigration Office of the Police Order combined wit the 2 recent changes (1st on Income method, 2nd for money-in-the-bank method) but with many points that don't match with these new rules...

Wait & see, and no need to panic at every new ThaiVisa topic :rolleyes:

230917257_RetirementVisaRules2020.pdf

Edited by Oukiva
the famous TI document, in attachment

kane666
1 minute ago, Oukiva said:

I saw the document in this TV topic; I would not worry about it. :wink:

Looks like a first interpretation by one Immigration Office of the Police Order combined wit the 2 recent changes (1st on Income method, 2nd for money-in-the-bank method) but with many points that don't match with these new rules...

Wait & see, and no need to panic at every new ThaiVisa topic :rolleyes:

I'd agree but it is a new police order from what a few people confirmed. Anyway, will become more clear in the months ahead.

Jaws56

Just been reading about the new Thai immigration regulations concerning extensions on retirement visas. If I understand it correctly that stuffs up my retirement plan. Plus I believe in the long term they will regret this move. A lot will be leaving and not too many retiring there from now on. Still I have a couple of years yet to go so hopefully it will change again

boingo
17 minutes ago, Jaws56 said:

Just been reading about the new Thai immigration regulations concerning extensions on retirement visas. If I understand it correctly that stuffs up my retirement plan. Plus I believe in the long term they will regret this move. A lot will be leaving and not too many retiring there from now on. Still I have a couple of years yet to go so hopefully it will change again

Have a link?

LeoTex

Like Boingo said, where can this information be found.

At least give us a clue on what changes are going to be into effect.

LeoTex

Taa_Saparot
36 minutes ago, Jaws56 said:

Plus I believe in the long term they will regret this move.

No, they wont.

kane666
15 minutes ago, boingo said:

Have a link?

This thread is one of the better ones I have found at explaining the changes. Note that there is still much confusion and as usual each IO seems to be able to interpret the new rules as they see fit.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1083740-marriageretirement-interpretations-explained/

For the actual issued police regulations:

1112337993_Policeorder35-2562changeof327-2557clasue2.22(Eng).pdf

kane666

Here is the text from the 1st TV post:

2.18 Marriage extensions.

Funds deposited in a Thai bank.

400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Passbook or bank statement + bank letter as proof.

After the extension is granted you can withdraw part or all funds.

Income method.

1). A minimum income of 40K per month deposited in a Thai bank from overseas for the previous 12 month period. Local passbooks or statements may not confirm overseas payments.

You can request statements (at your local bank branch) for detailed statements from their HQ, itemising foreign transactions as Bahtnet or Foreign TT deposits. Takes approx 5 days to process. + Bank letter.

According to TI, all bank HQ's are already aware of Immigrations requirements for detailed statements showing overseas transfers, which your local branch may not be able to confirm or supply.

2. A certified letter of income from your Embassy

2.22 Retirement extensions.

For the very first application, must prove 800K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, then 3 months after being granted permission.

You can then withdraw up to 400K, but must leave a remaining balance of 400K throughout the year.

For subsequent applications, must prove 800K deposited in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the date of application, then 3 months after being granted permission.

You can then withdraw up to 400K, but must leave a remaining balance of 400K throughout the year.

Income method.

1). A minimum income of 65K per month deposited in a Thai bank from overseas for the previous 12 month period. Local passbooks or statements may not confirm overseas payments. You can request statements (at your local bank branch) for detailed statements from their HQ, itemising foreign transactions as Bahtnet or Foreign TT deposits. Takes approx 5 days to process. + Bank letter.

According to TI, all bank HQ's are already aware of Immigrations requirements for detailed statements showing overseas transfers, which your local branch may not be able to confirm or supply.

2). A certified letter of income from your Embassy.

Combo method.

Funds and income totalling a minimum of 800,000 per annum.

There is no minimum balance of funds required.

Same seasoning conditions apply as for funds in the bank method. (First application 2 months prior, then 3 months after. Subsequent applications 3 months prior, then 3 months after.)

The important factor for the combo method is that funds deposited and income must not fall below the 800,000 requirement for the year.

Funds deposited of 300K + income of 50K per month.

Funds and income total 900K per annum.

After the seasoning period you can withdraw 100K.

Income of 50K x 12 = 600K + 200K funds = 800K.

Funds deposited of 500K + Income of 40K per month.

Funds and income total 980K per annum.

After the seasoning period you can withdraw 180K.

Income of 40K x 12 = 480K + 320K funds = 800K.

Funds deposited of 600K + income of 60K per month.

Funds and income total 1,320K per annum.

After the seasoning period you can withdraw 520K.

Income of 60K x 12 = 720K + 80K funds = 800K.

For this year only Immigration will use their discretion, depending on the application type, to determine if foreigners are working towards the requirements for 2020 and will give subsequent clarification of requirements expected in 2020.

Immigration will check at your next application date if you have complied with the seasoning periods for the previous year.

Failure to comply with seasoning periods, inadequate funds in the bank, inadequate incomes, or a combination thereof, may result in a refusal of your new extension application.

kane666
43 minutes ago, Jaws56 said:

I'm similar to you, just over a year away from 50. How do the new rules affect your plans? The only change for me is I will probably go the OA route instead, seems far easier if you aren't in Thailand full time.

Oukiva
1 hour ago, Jaws56 said:

Just been reading about the new Thai immigration regulations concerning extensions on retirement visas.  //

You could have read it on Pattaya-Addicts too :rolleyes:

We have a long thread running about it :

Captain Dave

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only real change to existing requirements is to have the money deposited

in your bank for a period of time prior to application and afterwards.

This is to stop the trick used by some agents (for a fee) of depositing their money in their clients account

for a short period. Thus tightening up a loophole used to evade Immigration requirements. 

The UK Embassy will no longer provide 'proof of income' statements but Immigration are well aware of this

and new procedures are being introduced.

Of far more relevance, certainly to British retirees on modest incomes, is the exchange rate.   

Atlas

Howdy,

Regardless if I can afford to have 800K in the bank or not, I am loathe to keep such an amount here in Thailand.... You never know form one day to the next when another new or existing rule will actually be enforced or any new requirements they dream up in the future. The same reason I would not buy real estate here but that is a whole other issue... 

And like Capt Dave says, I am more worried with our exchange rate than anything.... The Aussie $ is copping it from all sides... 

talung66
1 hour ago, kane666 said:

Here is the text from the 1st TV post:

2.18 Marriage extensions.

400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Passbook or bank statement + bank letter as proof.

After the extension is granted you can withdraw part or all funds.

Income method.

1). A minimum income of 40K per month deposited in a Thai bank from overseas for the previous 12 month period. Local passbooks or statements may not confirm overseas payments.

You can request statements (at your local bank branch) for detailed statements from their HQ, itemising foreign transactions as Bahtnet or Foreign TT deposits. Takes approx 5 days to process. + Bank letter.

2. A certified letter of income from your Embassy

2.22 Retirement extensions.

For the very first application, must prove 800K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application, then 3 months after being granted permission.

For subsequent applications, must prove 800K deposited in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the date of application, then 3 months after being granted permission.

Income method.

1). A minimum income of 65K per month deposited in a Thai bank from overseas for the previous 12 month period. Local passbooks or statements may not confirm overseas payments. You can request statements (at your local bank branch) for detailed statements from their HQ, itemising foreign transactions as Bahtnet or Foreign TT deposits. Takes approx 5 days to process. + Bank letter.

2). A certified letter of income from your Embassy.

Combo method.

Funds and income totalling a minimum of 800,000 per annum.

There is no minimum balance of funds required.

Same seasoning conditions apply as for funds in the bank method. (First application 2 months prior, then 3 months after. Subsequent applications 3 months prior, then 3 months after.)

The important factor for the combo method is that funds deposited and income must not fall below the 800,000 requirement for the year.

Funds deposited of 300K + income of 50K per month.

Funds and income total 900K per annum.

After the seasoning period you can withdraw 100K.

Income of 50K x 12 = 600K + 200K funds = 800K.

Funds deposited of 500K + Income of 40K per month.

Funds and income total 980K per annum.

After the seasoning period you can withdraw 180K.

Income of 40K x 12 = 480K + 320K funds = 800K.

Funds deposited of 600K + income of 60K per month.

Funds and income total 1,320K per annum.

After the seasoning period you can withdraw 520K.

Income of 60K x 12 = 720K + 80K funds = 800K.

For this year only Immigration will use their discretion, depending on the application type, to determine if foreigners are working towards the requirements for 2020 and will give subsequent clarification of requirements expected in 2020.

Immigration will check at your next application date if you have complied with the seasoning periods for the previous year.

Failure to comply with seasoning periods, inadequate funds in the bank, inadequate incomes, or a combination thereof, may result in a refusal of your new extension application.

2 hours ago, Jaws56 said:

To op 

From reading above all i can figure out is there trying to make it easier with how strong the baht is ATM giving easier combo options. for those that follow the rules as in captain dave comments stopping the agencies.

So as an Australian even if you only have the pension  as income you should fall close to this category  at today pension . Funds deposited of 300K + income of 50K per month. if you haven't got 300k in baht  13k Aud why bother coming.

gusincebu
No, they wont.
True .. they probably won't .

I've never felt particularly welcome here, but not unwelcome either.
Didn't expect Thais to welcome me with open arms ..or wave goodbye when I leave ..which I possibly will be.

I've used the combined pension/ lump sum method in the past ..and I've kinda stuffed up my banking ( ie ..not regular monthly transfers ) this year ..too late to bring in the 800k now.
So I'm looking at alternatives.
Ill still give it a go in March when my renewal is due ..but also looking at exit strategies.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk