Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

mailpattayasydney

Investing in a Software/IT/Consultancy company

mailpattayasydney

Hey all, I am an Australian resident. I just returned from Thailand after my first trip. After seeing how busy and vibrant Thailand is, I decided I should do a small business investment there. I have done business investments in India and planning to invest some in Australia too.

I am looking for some business investment opportunities in Thailand (mainly Bangkok). My first thought was to invest in a bar but it requires a huge investment (atleast 1M Baht) and all bars run with cash. So I feel that will be a bit risky for me especially as a foreign investor. My next thought was to invest in something I already have experience with: Software consulting. I am software developer and a consultant for the past 10 years. I have vast experience in anything software.

I am searching for any existing companies or teams who is doing well and would like to expand their business through an investment of around 300K to 500K Baht. I have searched online but I am not heading anywhere with that. I know it isn't easy to look for companies online. I might need to do more research looking at each company and probably talking to interested people.

Why I want to invest in Thailand?

- Expanding my investment portfolio into South East Asia

- A reason to visit Pattaya every few months ;)

Has anyone done similar things before? Can you share your experience?

rog555
33 minutes ago, mailpattayasydney said:

Hey all, I am an Australian resident. I just returned from Thailand after my first trip. After seeing how busy and vibrant Thailand is, I decided I should do a small business investment there. I have done business investments in India and planning to invest some in Australia too.

I am looking for some business investment opportunities in Thailand (mainly Bangkok). My first thought was to invest in a bar but it requires a huge investment (atleast 1M Baht) and all bars run with cash. So I feel that will be a bit risky for me especially as a foreign investor. My next thought was to invest in something I already have experience with: Software consulting. I am software developer and a consultant for the past 10 years. I have vast experience in anything software.

I am searching for any existing companies or teams who is doing well and would like to expand their business through an investment of around 300K to 500K Baht. I have searched online but I am not heading anywhere with that. I know it isn't easy to look for companies online. I might need to do more research looking at each company and probably talking to interested people.

Why I want to invest in Thailand?

- Expanding my investment portfolio into South East Asia

- A reason to visit Pattaya every few months ;)

Has anyone done similar things before? Can you share your experience?

I am no expert, but what would a sucessfull company do with your 500k ?

Seems a tiny amount to a company with employees and customers already.    

Maybe 5m baht they could hire a few new employees, start a new software package project, or do some marketting.  300k they could renew the office furniture. 555

DaffyDuck

“Invest” your money by wiring it into my account. It would be about as lucrative as investing into a business in Thailand, and I would have more creative excuses every quarter.

How’s that sound?

mailpattayasydney
10 hours ago, rog555 said:

I am no expert, but what would a sucessfull company do with your 500k ?

Seems a tiny amount to a company with employees and customers already.    

Maybe 5m baht they could hire a few new employees, start a new software package project, or do some marketting.  300k they could renew the office furniture. 555

Oh thanks for the realization. I assumed 500K was a decent size. I was actually looking for a small team (size of 6 to 10 people).

mailpattayasydney
7 hours ago, DaffyDuck said:

“Invest” your money by wiring it into my account. It would be about as lucrative as investing into a business in Thailand, and I would have more creative excuses every quarter.

How’s that sound?

Haha, I'm interested mate.

Tarl

Can I ask what sort of return do you expect for $12k to $20k?

Scuba+
Oh thanks for the realization. I assumed 500K was a decent size. I was actually looking for a small team (size of 6 to 10 people).
Seems way too small, but would be gratefully accepted by the boiler rooms and scammers out there, be careful

mailpattayasydney
9 minutes ago, Tarl said:

Can I ask what sort of return do you expect for $12k to $20k?

I am not expecting any immediate monetary returns. I was expecting a share on the equity just to get started. Based on other replies in the thread, I now realize this is a very low amount for a software company.

typhoon42

Why not just put that cash in a low cost index mutual fund or ETF that specializes in SE Asia or Asia in general.

Many scammers in Thailand who will love to get ahold of your cash.

Proceed with caution.

forcebwithu

I've spent most of my career in software consulting. Based on my experience it's probably one of the last places I would look to invest money in as it's typically a hand to mouth existence. Unless you have a software product to sell, with consulting you're always having to hustle to find the next project to remain profitable and keep your employees employed.

Jason Tutle

There are a lot better investment vehicles than Thai businesses. Consider algo trading forex? 

brainhack

Just landed a job in Bangkok myself, been starting up several companies the "lean" way - bootstrapping & getting it off the ground with almost no cash :-)

If you are willing to put in a lot of work, and then invest that sum as a runway, I am sure it could work.

But... How to judge if its the right idea, market, people & tech... Thats the hard one!

Yield Guy

Buy Accenture, Infosys, Cognizant Technology in equal weight portfolio. That should do you well in the years to come.