Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Night Wish Group 7th Anniversary Party | Add your Text or Event here

pattaya_bound

Pickpockets

pattaya_bound

So I'm still reading, researching.  My mind's already over there.  But reading satiates me for a while.

A recent thing I read talked about pickpockets.

Now, obviously, if you're literally stumbling drunk AND flying solo, getting pickpocketed is the least of your worries.  And you deserve whatever happens to your dumb ass.

That said, has any normal person (read: not stumbling drunk asshole) ever had a problem with pickpockets?  I hear they cram you pretty tightly into baht buses, and in cramped quarters like that, getting stolen from would be more likely/possible....

Scuba+

Not an issue 99.9% of the time, if ever in a crowd which is moving slowly such as walking to Walking Street or in Walking Street take care of your money. The baht bus fear was caused by those rogue Ladyboys, so if in a baht bus with a pack of LBs be careful

vimto66

I`ve been done on a baht bus years ago, front jeans pockets or shorts with buttons or zips are the way to go, one thing to emphasize though, that issue i had was a long time ago and i haven`t had any problems since, like any tourist town thieves and assorted scum are in the mix, although it can be somewhat overexaggerated!

LeoTex
1 hour ago, Scuba+ said:

The baht bus fear was caused by those rogue Ladyboys, so if in a baht bus with a pack of LBs be careful

Got on a baht bus one night on Soi Buakhao heading to Pattaya Tai. One other guy was sitting across from me. The bus stopped and two LB's got on and one sat on each side of the other guy very close. Not knowing if the other guy understood English or not, I said beware of 'pick pockets' when on a baht bus. All of a sudden he hit the buzzer sever times, stood up with his hands covering his pockets. Both of the LB's got up and jump off and started head back the way were came from.

He said thanks for the warning.

Just be alert and when a couple of them  start to approach you, especially on beach road, walk away from them.

LeoTex

lingling
2 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

in a baht bus with a pack of LBs be careful

in a baht bus be careful...full stop.

Years ago heading up to Big C on 2nd rd 2 chicks got on.One sat opposite me 2nd the other one sat on my left.The one opposite started flirting whilst the other one tried dipping in to my pocket.Even had a chick tried dipping into my pocket whilst sat at a beer bar up near soi2 years ago...Have been using a pacsafe travel wallet that shuts with velcro and is looped round my belt with a chain for years..it's going nowhere.

I've seen thieving happening in beer bars during songkran....Middle aged Thai women with kids walking around bars stealing stuff 

neilri2001

I got on a baht bus at the bottom of Soi 6 on my last trip. A ladyboy got on and sat tight next to me. Conscious of stories on here i pressed the buzzer and got off after about 50 metres. As i was paying the driver i noticed the ladyboy getting off too. The Ladyboy made no attempt to pay the driver and headed back in the direction of Soi 6. The driver may have been in on the scan or maybe he was just sympathetic to a fellow Thai trying to rip off a Farang.

Jebb

When going out I always have a button down or zip pocket to keep the large notes in.

splitpin

Dont use a wallet

onehunglo
4 hours ago, splitpin said:

Dont use a wallet

don't go out

Scuba+

Don't have pockets

cyfruil
On 24/10/2018 at 13:07, pattaya_bound said:

Now, obviously, if you're literally stumbling drunk AND flying solo, getting pickpocketed is the least of your worries.  And you deserve whatever happens to your dumb ass.

I would say as long as you are a happydrunk and dont try to start fights on your own, pickpocketing and traffic are your biggest concerns.

After doing the bahtbus thing i always have 3 wallets when i go out. Half the budget for the night in my left pocket, half in the right and one with backup money for the nights when i have to much fun. No cards when out drinking. I never open the hotelsafe when drunk.

bigshow

Yes the hotel safe is what I worry about more as I bring a lot of cash over as I get better exchange rate. Infact I want to change the hotel that I have been using as I want to be in another area of pattaya but worry about the next hotel safe as you hear that some just aint safe at all. Never been worried about pick pockets as a big guy I stand at the back of the baht bus so no issue there in fact I once left my phone downstairs at a Soi 6 establishment when seeing lady for a short time the bar manager saw it, kept an eye on it and gave it to me when I came down. So just keep your witts about you and I think you should be right

Scottie1

Had my wallet lifted years ago so only take cash with me now.The problem was

my first time here and my cards went missing.They were'nt used but had to

budget my cash for the rest of my stay.Spoiled the fun.

sepau222

I was robbed once somewhere near Central Ferstival or may be in one of bars, i haven't even noticed that. Or may be i just lost money myself. It didn't affect my mood cause i have one good rule: take only such amount of money so you would not regret when u've lost it.

vimto66
On 03/11/2018 at 08:29, Scottie1 said:

Had my wallet lifted years ago so only take cash with me now.The problem was

my first time here and my cards went missing.They were'nt used but had to

budget my cash for the rest of my stay.Spoiled the fun.

I once had my cards stolen, i was lucky cos i was on holiday with a mate who gave me one of his other cards to use, just paid him back when i got home.

Whalley

Pickpocket teams on the baht bus are clever and well practiced and it's not just LBs.

I nearly got had by a 50ish, average looking Thai couple.  I had my small pack on my back and standing on the bumper platform.  Thai guy gets up and insists I sit down next to his lady accomplice.  I decline offer.  He insists. 

After several prompts, I accept offer and sit down.  He then motions to everybody on the bench to move down and he then squeezes in beside me.  I'm now sandwiched between him and his lady accomplice.

His lady accomplice had a large bag that straddled partially onto my lap.  For distraction, they they talked back and forth.

A man on the bench accross from me catches my attention to point out that these two Mother Fuckers had unzipped my front pockets on each side and about to make off with my possessions (wallet and phone).

Close call.  

Don't be distracted by a kind offer on a baht bus.  Don't rely on zippered pockets.  I now add a safety pin on zippered pockets if holding valuables.

Taptap

Only time it was attempted at me was in the early morning hours right after the gogo's close in soi Nana, Bangkok. I just reached my hotel and couldn't sleep, decided to venture out to Nana area. I had my phone and ~ 4000 Baht in my pocket. A black lady came on to me, " where you go?", Hugged me and slipped her fingers in the back pockets of my shorts. I let her :) my phone and the money were in my front pockets protected by my hands.

Even in US I always keep my wallet in the front pocket. In Thailand I just keep the money in pockets, no wallet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

splitpin

Good to get a smaller cheap second phone for nights out, can still have all your apps on it, but lost or stolen no big deal

bbbz

In decades of mongering, the only pickpockets ever encountered were the shehe type and I was stumbling drunk.

westie1
On 24/10/2018 at 13:07, pattaya_bound said:

So I'm still reading, researching.  My mind's already over there.  But reading satiates me for a while.

A recent thing I read talked about pickpockets.

That said, has any normal person (read: not stumbling drunk asshole) ever had a problem with pickpockets?  I hear they cram you pretty tightly into baht buses, and in cramped quarters like that, getting stolen from would be more likely/possible....

I got pickpocketed late at night. does that make me an asshole 

btw the fucker got about 120 bhat 

davidge
3 minutes ago, westie1 said:

I got pickpocketed late at night. does that make me an asshole 

btw the fucker got about 120 bhat 

I don’t think it’s ‘that’ that makes you an asshole :P

westie1
1 minute ago, davidge said:

I don’t think it’s ‘that’ that makes you an asshole :P

I have many talents that get me called an asshole:-)

pattaya_bound
On 02/11/2018 at 16:02, bigshow said:

Yes the hotel safe is what I worry about ....

Hotel safes have default admin codes in case your drunken ass forgets the code you typed in.  Often, the maids or other support staff have these codes.  never put anything that will FUCK you if you get it stolen.

Buy a secure (or at least secure looking) security bag with two zippers, buy a bike chain/lock (the steel cable kind), and lock that bag around the toilet.  Ain't nobody but you has that combo, and it'll be fairly fucking obvious if someone tries to get into it.  That, and they'd need a serious utility knife and/or bolt cutters to get into it.  Your maids probably don't have those.

jw112

I don't think this is anymore of an issue than it is on any vacation.

How to Prevent Being Pickpocketed

1- Always store valuables in a front pocket or a secret pocket. Make sure it is not sticking out of your pocket(s) either. Keep nothing valuable in your back pocket, as this is a vulnerable place for pickpockets.

2- Avoid walking through large crowds. Pickpockets can easily blend in and snatch wallets without anyone noticing.

3- Touching or fiddling with the pocket where you carry your belongings tells the pickpocket where you carry your valuables. This is a regrettable error and drops a huge hint of where you keep your things, not only to the pickpocket but also to the public.

4- Refrain from rummaging through your wallet or counting money in public. While you are looking through your wallet, it's easy for someone to snatch it out of your hands and make off with it. If you must use your wallet in any way, shape, or form, do so away from large crowds and in a safe place.

Count your money at hotel room. Never lay out money and credit cards on a table/phone booth/etc. in a public place, as somebody can snatch it. Counting money publicly also advertises its presence and its location.

5- Never hand money to panhandlers, unless you have loose change in your pocket. Taking your wallet out in front of a panhandler risks someone snatching it from you while you are looking through it.

6- Pick up credit cards and other valuables as soon as the clerk returns them.When you're done with the card, put it in your wallet right away. When eating out, never give the credit card to the waiter. Take the time to go with him/her, as waiters sometimes make copies of the credit cards.

7-Whenever you are going out to a public place, only take what you need. Leave behind in the hotel safe some money and any credit card(s), ID, etc. that you don't need to take. That way, if you do get pick pocketed, you don't lose everything.

8- If you are still worried...Use a money belt or an inside coat pocket. Concealment may not always protect you from muggers and sophisticated thieves, but it will make it much less convenient for the casual thief. This sort of defense is most effective if it is completely invisible, so avoid accessing such hiding places in public.

9- I do this in TJ (mexico) Consider making a mugger's wallet if you know you will go somewhere dangerous. A mugger's wallet is not your real wallet - it is merely a false copy to trick the mugger into thinking that it is your real wallet. Stuff a few receipts and expired credit cards or coupons into your mugger's wallet and keep your real wallet in a secret pocket. Put your mugger's wallet anywhere you like, but do not put it in a concealed pocket! By making this wallet, your real wallet will be safer.

If you're afraid the mugger will not fall for your fake wallet, put a few one dollar bills into your mugger's wallet.

10- Leave nothing unattended. Do not hang a bag or purse over the back of a chair (such as in a restaurant or Internet cafe), and certainly do not leave it behind while you walk off. If you have to go somewhere (ex: bathroom), bring it with you no matter what, or risk it being stolen!

11- Wear backpacks on your front if you must wear one in a crowd. It's best not to have anything important in your backpack, at all.

bertil

JW112: Agree. But #11 I would say carrying a backpack in front states that you have important stuff there. 
I carry my backpack as supposed but have it locked. And at the rear where I keep my camera it is opened from reverse side.
So upper case is locked and without valuable stuff and lower compartment can not be opened from someone walking behind you.