Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Nick Adams

Relocating to Vietnam for 12+ months?

Nick Adams

Curious if anyone here has lived in Vietnam either working as an expat or retired for one year or more.

If so, what city or cities?

How did living in the country compare to visiting as a tourist?

I remember a couple of years ago that people frustrated with the Visa situation in Thailand pledged to move to Vietnam instead but these days that doesn't seem to come up much.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Scuba+

When i went to Vietnam and i travelled around it was ok but nothing special. I've always liked Thailand more on all levels. Also there was a feeling they would try to rip you off more than Thailand, in fact it was the only place ever that a massage girl has tried to steal my money, passport etc.

Maybe its changed, people seem to like Da Nang so maybe worth considering there

bfinkay

I lived the for some time (Thailand and other Asian locations as well) and HCMC is my favourite.

LuvAsianAss

I’ve spent many years on and off living in HCMC and have been based there for the past 7 years. It’s a much better place to live than visit. Costs are cheaper than Bangkok, getting around is easy and everything you need is located in a small area in D1. Expats are located here, D2 and in D7, which has a substantial Korean population. 

Living in HCMC you don’t need to P4P, there’s a massive and growing supply and demand imbalance between the amount of single foreign men and the amount of Vietnamese women looking for them. However P4P is widely available and once you live here, you get to know where to go and realise it’s significantly cheaper than most of Thailand. Remember unlike in Thailand being seen with a foreign boyfriend here is a status symbol with no negative stigma at all. Most tourists looking for P4P get fooled into thinking that the backpacker area is where to go. Avoid it like the plague, that is where you will get ripped off and pickpocketed. Girls there are dealing with a very transient population who are on a budget and their only interest is extracting as much money as possible. Things change dramatically once you venture into the suburbs. 

I certainly wouldn’t recommend Danang. There’s little to do there and it’s currently overrun with Korean and Chinese tourists on package holidays. 

Budderfli
On 24/01/2019 at 18:30, LuvAsianAss said:

I’ve spent many years on and off living in HCMC and have been based there for the past 7 years. It’s a much better place to live than visit. Costs are cheaper than Bangkok, getting around is easy and everything you need is located in a small area in D1. Expats are located here, D2 and in D7, which has a substantial Korean population. 

Living in HCMC you don’t need to P4P, there’s a massive and growing supply and demand imbalance between the amount of single foreign men and the amount of Vietnamese women looking for them. However P4P is widely available and once you live here, you get to know where to go and realise it’s significantly cheaper than most of Thailand. Remember unlike in Thailand being seen with a foreign boyfriend here is a status symbol with no negative stigma at all. Most tourists looking for P4P get fooled into thinking that the backpacker area is where to go. Avoid it like the plague, that is where you will get ripped off and pickpocketed. Girls there are dealing with a very transient population who are on a budget and their only interest is extracting as much money as possible. Things change dramatically once you venture into the suburbs. 

I certainly wouldn’t recommend Danang. There’s little to do there and it’s currently overrun with Korean and Chinese tourists on package holidays. 

I'm here in HCMC right now and I'm not really feeling it to be honest. I've got a month here, so I'm not exactly a tourist but I feel I've seen enough. First, I don't really see where it's cheaper than BKK except for maybe beer is a bit cheaper and Western food is a bit cheaper also. But regular massages cost more and aren't as good as Thailand, and housing seems to be a bit more expensive. In BKK you have a legion of available condos less than a couple hundred meters from a BTS station going for like 15000 baht on long term leases. In HCMC it's more like $600 US and up and a 20+ minute ride on a shitty Grab motorbike to get to your condo.

There's also little to do here. Granted, even BKK doesn't have much to do after you've done the Nana/Cowboy/Soi 22 lap for a few months, but what is really here in HCMC? Everybody says to stay away from the backpacker area, but what else is there? I can ride my ass out to Benny's on a scooter for 20 minutes. Just hope you don't get there when the bus of horny Chinese dudes gets dropped off and you're waiting around for an hour. The malls here totally suck compared to BKK, and the food isn't really all that great outside of the pho (which is awesome).

And then the girls. Forget about approaching, unless you speak Vietnamese. They're likely to fucking run away screaming if a foreigner talks to them. Online girls, sure I can hook up with them. And sure, they want to date foreigners. They show up to a date dressed like they're going to fucking church! And when you get them naked, better get ready for some granny panties. In BKK, even the "good" girls are pretty slutty, lol. I like that about BKK.

Where is this cheap P4P? And does it involved a 40+ minute Grab moto ride to some shady Vietnamese chicken farm? Because it sure isn't to be found in D1.

On the plus side, nobody is trying to rip me off. Everybody has been very friendly. The Vietnamese seem to like Americans, which makes them a significant minority in the world. The weather has been spectacular compared to the sweatbox of BKK. I'm going to try Da Nang next for a month. Supposedly it's labeled "The Most Livable City in Vietnam". At this point, I feel like every damn place is the same the world over - they all get boring after awhile. I'm hoping Da Nang is just an easy place to live with a nice beach for me to go for a jog on. If I like it, I'll stay for longer and visa run to Pattaya for my P4P.

Edited by Budderfli

Scuba+
I'm here in HCMC right now and I'm not really feeling it to be honest. I've got a month here, so I'm not exactly a tourist but I feel I've seen enough. First, I don't really see where it's cheaper than BKK except for maybe beer is a bit cheaper and Western food is a bit cheaper also. But regular massages cost more and aren't as good as Thailand, and housing seems to be a bit more expensive. In BKK you have a legion of available condos less than a couple hundred meters from a BTS station going for like 15000 baht on long term leases. In HCMC it's more like $600 US and up and a 20+ minute ride on a shitty Grab motorbike to get to your condo.
There's also little to do here. Granted, even BKK doesn't have much to do after you've done the Nana/Cowboy/Soi 22 lap for a few months, but what is really here in HCMC? Everybody says to stay away from the backpacker area, but what else is there? I can ride my ass out to Benny's on a scooter for 20 minutes. Just hope you don't get there when the bus of horny Chinese dudes gets dropped off and you're waiting around for an hour. The malls here totally suck compared to BKK, and the food isn't really all that great outside of the pho (which is awesome).
And then the girls. Forget about approaching, unless you speak Vietnamese. They're likely to fucking run away screaming if a foreigner talks to them. Online girls, sure I can hook up with them. And sure, they want to date foreigners. They show up to a date dressed like they're going to fucking church! And when you get them naked, better get ready for some granny panties. In BKK, even the "good" girls are pretty slutty, lol. I like that about BKK.
Where is this cheap P4P? And does it involved a 40+ minute Grab moto ride to some shady Vietnamese chicken farm? Because it sure isn't to be found in D1.
On the plus side, nobody is trying to rip me off. Everybody has been very friendly. The Vietnamese seem to like Americans, which makes them a significant minority in the world. The weather has been spectacular compared to the sweatbox of BKK. I'm going to try Da Nang next for a month. Supposedly it's labeled "The Most Livable City in Vietnam". At this point, I feel like every damn place is the same the world over - they all get boring after awhile. I'm hoping Da Nang is just an easy place to live with a nice beach for me to go for a jog on. If I like it, I'll stay for longer and visa run to Pattaya for my P4P.
Good info, let us know how Da Nang goes

Nick Adams
Thanks for the details I really appreciate it. The Visa situation is better for many westerners in Vietnam and there are jobs in my industry in HCMC that pop up more frequently than Bangkok for similar pay. I looked at apartments online and came to the conclusion that for the same price, HCMC offers more square footage and maybe housekeeping 3x per week, but in much more basic poorly designed buildings with fewer amenities than Bangkok. Also transport, as you said, is nowhere near as convenient with lots of apartment buildings far from the action. HCMC is still working on its first subway line and that is a long and messy saga.

sabato
On 24/01/2019 at 18:30, LuvAsianAss said:

Living in HCMC you don’t need to P4P, there’s a massive and growing supply and demand imbalance between the amount of single foreign men and the amount of Vietnamese women looking for them. However P4P is widely available and once you live here, you get to know where to go and realise it’s significantly cheaper than most of Thailand. Remember unlike in Thailand being seen with a foreign boyfriend here is a status symbol with no negative stigma at all.

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, my friend was an English teacher and he constantly had Vietnamese locals having a go at his girlfriend, why are you with a foreigner etc. My personal experience, had this drunk Vietnamese guy walk up in front of his mates and start asking about the girl I was with, if she was my girlfriend, how she was very beautiful. His mate came up to take him away, but I got the feeling he was trying to start something, there was a distinct confrontational vibe (aided by his inebriated state, I doubt it would have happened otherwise). Never witnessed this sort of thing elsewhere.

Also I forget the name of the disco, it's about 1km north of Apocalypse now. Visited with a girl, noticed it was packed with well dressed young presumably expat guys, with a ratio of 3 guys to 1 girl. Demand imbalance? Yes, but in favor of the girls. There are willing girls, but they're not so easy to find/approach.

LuvAsianAss
5 hours ago, sabato said:

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, my friend was an English teacher and he constantly had Vietnamese locals having a go at his girlfriend, why are you with a foreigner etc. My personal experience, had this drunk Vietnamese guy walk up in front of his mates and start asking about the girl I was with, if she was my girlfriend, how she was very beautiful. His mate came up to take him away, but I got the feeling he was trying to start something, there was a distinct confrontational vibe (aided by his inebriated state, I doubt it would have happened otherwise). Never witnessed this sort of thing elsewhere.

Also I forget the name of the disco, it's about 1km north of Apocalypse now. Visited with a girl, noticed it was packed with well dressed young presumably expat guys, with a ratio of 3 guys to 1 girl. Demand imbalance? Yes, but in favor of the girls. There are willing girls, but they're not so easy to find/approach.

With respect my observations were made on experiences over the past twenty years. Going to discos is not something Vietnamese girls did until very recently but even now, high priced discos are avoided by all except working girls, and beer clubs have become hugely popular with both genders. 

bfinkay
Thanks for the details I really appreciate it. The Visa situation is better for many westerners in Vietnam and there are jobs in my industry in HCMC that pop up more frequently than Bangkok for similar pay. I looked at apartments online and came to the conclusion that for the same price, HCMC offers more square footage and maybe housekeeping 3x per week, but in much more basic poorly designed buildings with fewer amenities than Bangkok. Also transport, as you said, is nowhere near as convenient with lots of apartment buildings far from the action. HCMC is still working on its first subway line and that is a long and messy saga.

I think we paid about US$600 or 650 for an old three level terrace with top floor balcony that was on the edge of D1, maid was maybe $150-200 a month. Many options and much easier if you have some VNese friends to help you.

Budderfli
4 hours ago, LuvAsianAss said:

With respect my observations were made on experiences over the past twenty years. Going to discos is not something Vietnamese girls did until very recently but even now, high priced discos are avoided by all except working girls, and beer clubs have become hugely popular with both genders. 

Nobody is trying to clown on you, we appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. It's just, I feel like a lot of the advice on Vietnam is similar...there's a lot of advice on where NOT to go, but not much on where to go. And the few times there is some advice on where to go, it's usually something like this:

"Ok, hop on your motor scooter and take a ride for 35 to 40 minutes to Bo Chun Phat road in D13. Follow the creepy alleway next to the Circle K for about 250 meters then take the 3rd right. Now, you'll probably be fearful for your life at this point, but don't worry about it because I'm still alive, so you'll be fine too. Anyways, some shady Vietnamese dude will pop his head out of a doorway and ask if you want 'boom-boom'. Tell him yes, and follow him up to the 3rd floor of the dilapidated shack that he leads you into. Be sure to tip him 50000 dong so he isn't tempted to kick your ass right there. Inside, the mamasan will lead out some girls for you to choose. Pick your girl, and pay the desk half a million dong. The girl will take you to a room where she'll do everything half assed and beg for a tip. Pay the tip so she'll only do everything a quarter assed. All, in about $40 US for a great time. See, like I said only fools and backpackers are paying $90 US down in the D1 backpacker area."

12 hours ago, Nick Adams said:

Yeah, the visa situation is the number one reason I'm giving Vietnam a solid look. The visa situation in Thailand just absolutely sucks for a long term traveler/early retiree. At this point, I've given up on finding a place with easy visa issues, nice and cheap living, and an exciting nightlife with the availability of cheap and easy pussy when required. Basically, you can pick 2 of those 3. So, yeah I'll report back on Da Nang. I expect it will be boring; I'm just hoping it's a nice, easy place to live with mild weather and somewhere I can actually go for a run that isn't a treadmill - a fucking luxury in Asian cities, or so it would seem.

sabato
5 hours ago, LuvAsianAss said:

I'm sure in the right context what you said is accurate, in the sense my friend hung around in difference circles. It's just as far as 'there is no negative stigma at all', more than a few guys definitely do have a problem with it, and aren't shy to let it be known, while I don't think girls care.

I brought a Thai girl to Vietnam once, she had local guys drop comments at her as we walked past. I don't speak Vietnamese, so I don't know what they're saying - but making an educated guess, it wasn't respectful.

Edited by sabato

LuvAsianAss
20 minutes ago, Budderfli said:

Nobody is trying to clown on you, we appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. It's just, I feel like a lot of the advice on Vietnam is similar...there's a lot of advice on where NOT to go, but not much on where to go. And the few times there is some advice on where to go, it's usually something like this:

"Ok, hop on your motor scooter and take a ride for 35 to 40 minutes to Bo Chun Phat road in D13. Follow the creepy alleway next to the Circle K for about 250 meters then take the 3rd right. Now, you'll probably be fearful for your life at this point, but don't worry about it because I'm still alive, so you'll be fine too. Anyways, some shady Vietnamese dude will pop his head out of a doorway and ask if you want 'boom-boom'. Tell him yes, and follow him up to the 3rd floor of the dilapidated shack that he leads you into. Be sure to tip him 50000 dong so he isn't tempted to kick your ass right there. Inside, the mamasan will lead out some girls for you to choose. Pick your girl, and pay the desk half a million dong. The girl will take you to a room where she'll do everything half assed and beg for a tip. Pay the tip so she'll only do everything a quarter assed. All, in about $40 US for a great time. See, like I said only fools and backpackers are paying $90 US down in the D1 backpacker area."

Yeah, the visa situation is the number one reason I'm giving Vietnam a solid look. The visa situation in Thailand just absolutely sucks for a long term traveler/early retiree. At this point, I've given up on finding a place with easy visa issues, nice and cheap living, and an exciting nightlife with the availability of cheap and easy pussy when required. Basically, you can pick 2 of those 3. So, yeah I'll report back on Da Nang. I expect it will be boring; I'm just hoping it's a nice, easy place to live with mild weather and somewhere I can actually go for a run that isn't a treadmill - a fucking luxury in Asian cities, or so it would seem.

Very true about a lack of advice on where to go. I will post in the general Vietnam section with some places, although some I’ve been going to for many years and built up ‘relationships’ with the owners. Obviously my experience in those is likely to differ from transitory tourists. Happy to share them and pictures of girls who will meet discreetly by PM, they wouldn’t want me to post their pictures publicly and I don’t want to breach their trust! 

LuvAsianAss
3 minutes ago, sabato said:

I'm sure in the right context what you said is accurate, in the sense my friend hung around in difference circles. It's just as far as 'there is no negative stigma at all', more than a few guys definitely do have a problem with it, and aren't shy to let it be known, while I don't think girls care.

I brought a Thai girl to Vietnam once, she had local guys drop comments at her as we walked past. I don't speak Vietnamese, so I don't know what they're saying - but making an educated guess, it wasn't respectful.

Yes that’s common here. It usually translates as ‘she likes big banana’. I have never felt in any way threatened with a Vietnamese or Thai girl here. 

biggles

"At this point, I've given up on finding a place with easy visa issues, nice and cheap living, and an exciting nightlife with the availability of cheap and easy pussy when required."

In the Philippines you can arrive on a 30 day visa free entry, extend every two months for around 3 years. Then you can leave for a day and start the process again.