Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

birdhaus

1st visit to Laos, Vientiane

birdhaus
Posted (edited)

I'd like some advice. Plans are to go to Laos Vientiane , it's a first visit. 26th to 28th 3 nights departing on the morning of the 29th. (June)
My question is  - for a first timer  - Is 2 or 3 days enough? 

Within such a short time frame the visit is limited to the capital and to really wet my beak to see if I like it. 
I've read read through a few TR's, interesting. The P4p remarks are light and vague, obvious as it's illegal. But any recent tips would be appreciated, seems limited to BNP and Samlo with a kick off time at 10pm.
I want to do some tourism and yeah if p4p can be done on the sneak tip in the evenings so much the better, then I want some of that too. Massage shops, beer bar recommendations and  of course a guest friendly hotel recommendation. 

It's a side bar to going to Chiang Mai, Chaing Rai, Patty, BKK, and Cambodia PP and Siem Reap. crazy trip plans, 4 weeks of LSL, and on the move the entire time. 
I can't wait to get back to PP and Siem Reap.

Edited by birdhaus

Essexman1961

Funnily in June/July I was in Vientianne before going onto Pattaya.

I stayed 4 nights in Vientianne for sight seeing but two full days would have been plenty,even including the out of town Budha park which.is worth an hour.

Unfortunately I didn't do enough research about this city and found out that there is relatively little to see as the Thais tended to burn it down whenever there was as war in the pre colonial days.Luangprabang in northern Laos sounds a better bet.

There are a couple of bars with WGs but this sleepy city is not party central.

birdhaus

Any advice on girl friendly hotels??

The only one I've found in this forum is Champa Garden Hotel 

frankstain

2 days is more than plenty for the touristy things and you might get some at night where you mentioned, but Udon Thani and Nong Khai would be easier and have more options during the day and the night and saves you the cost of a flight/border run/visa and time. 

frankstain
Just now, birdhaus said:

Any advice on girl friendly hotels??

The only one I've found in this forum is Champa Garden Hotel 

I stayed at Vientiane garden hotel. Booked for 2 people and as the girl I was meeting would be in town 10 hours earlier than me I got her to send me a pic of her ID card so I could email the hotel to say when the room is ready she can use it which they obliged to. Has a pool, bit noisy from everything around it but location was decent enough

wild bill hickup

I found it very dull place whilst doing a visa run some years ago, food wasn't special but having a few beers on a floating restaurant was ok ... as for women well you bone it you own it also roads are much quieter.

birdhaus

I'm gonna leave it to just two days I think. 

wild bill hickup
18 minutes ago, birdhaus said:

I'm gonna leave it to just two days I think. 

Wise move.

article22

If you are staying just in Vientiane then yeah 2 nights is plenty!

Bugger all to see really.

Some nice areas outside of the city but they are a fair trek away and can be touristy.

Have a look at my report on the forums here, I updated when I went back in 2018.

birdhaus
48 minutes ago, article22 said:

If you are staying just in Vientiane then yeah 2 nights is plenty!

Bugger all to see really.

Some nice areas outside of the city but they are a fair trek away and can be touristy.

Have a look at my report on the forums here, I updated when I went back in 2018.

@article22 yeah your TR was really detailed, so I really went through it, jotted down some tips, some bars, times to visit these etc. 
I have the basis of two days sketched out. Flying there from BKK and still unsure about hotels with girl friendly options. I dunno. I really hope it's not a complete waste of time.  

kash buc

I was in Vientiane last august for a few days. I stayed at the Champa Garden Hotel going on the recommendation from the  forum. Very nice hotel and a good central location. 

I spent a couple of nights at the BNP bar. Nice place to eat and drink and later in the evening they got a pretty good selection of FL's that came in.  A few good lookers there too, unfortunately the one I brought back to the hotel wasn't really one of them  555. But she did have her own car and drove us back to the hotel.

So yes based on my limited experience the CGH was GF

kash buc

Sunset drinks at BNP bar

316BA15D-AD29-45FC-B2B1-7154E1236738.jpeg

Cheongsam

I was in Vientiane last year. It's a bit sleepy and dilapidated. Kind of nice after Bangkok. I didn't bother looking for mongering but I'd recommend the Laos traditional massage. It's a different style to the Thai traditional massage. Very nice, and cheap. There are one or two massage shops along Chao Anou Rd in the centre, with youngish girls in traditional outfits. No 'extras' on offer though, not that type of establishment at all. And the staff have almost no English. You would nearly be better off using the few words of Thai you know to communicate with them.

A few photos.

The town centre:

P1060002.JPG.1c9f689de10205397a5e46499a89f1df.JPG

The Mekong riverfront in the town centre. Most tourist spots in southeast Asia are horribly overdeveloped so it's actually nice to find somewhere a bit rundown and basic like this:

P1060027.JPG.f7b962048f4ce843b1cb83c1fac0b719.JPGP1060034.JPG.7985c7e146bb8b61a661d0f00cd575bc.JPG

The night market, which occupies a big chunk of the riverfront area in the town centre. A huge number of stalls are set up and it all has to be taken down again at the end of the night. Locals and tourists wander around and look, but never seem to buy much. Surprised that it is worth all the effort:

P1060004.JPG.4365635c46f276a25a77f06181f420aa.JPGP1060010.JPG.4ceda9939d4edb13f75f4498858be2f7.JPG

Further west along the riverfront, the local teenagers come into town in the evenings for 'motorbike dates'. Later on they can be heard roaring up and down the strip like something from American Graffiti:

P1060032.JPG.7442fe429b39b7f042e7bb36b9bac83b.JPG

And there is also an area of outdoor riverfront restaurants. You can enjoy your Beer Lao and food while gazing across the river to Thailand on the other side.

P1060041.JPG.fd585fed6bc759e2a84f83aa4e8a53b9.JPG

Traditional clothes are still seen in Laos. Young lady in silk wrap-skirt:

20171019_211720.jpg.b97a2e95f6fa1862edd8134652b1ee55.jpg20171019_211709.jpg.8367b8788862db31d3c161b76df90a39.jpg

Patuxai Gate, which is about 2km outside the town centre. I rented a bicycle and cycled out to it. You can climb up to the top via steps for a small fee:

P1050973.JPG.ba67087e7b8cf7ab4a4b819003f1aaa5.JPG

There are some quirky things to be seen around Vientiane like this temple on a roundabout where nature has taken over. And in the background a dilapidated French colonial house: 

P1050997.JPG.f67d31f5bbb7f5e185991a9a4b817ed7.JPG

Sorry, no photo from the front, but the BKK-Vientiane flight was with Thai Smile (a local carrier of Thai Airways) and the hostesses had these sexy, way-above-the-knee pantskirts or culotte shorts :drool:

20171023_133558.thumb.jpg.ccd1bdbafe0cc5104db50e311be77839.jpg

jerry

Been to Vientiane about ten times over the last 7 years . Not much to see or do during daytime . Stayed in ten different hotels (all to expensive compared to Udon) , never had a problem though bringing back girls so won't worry to much about that one . BPY bar is a nice hangout but not much action before 10pm ... not much after 10pm either ... 555 . @home nightclub isn't to bad after midnight but Laos girls aren't exactly superstars in the bedroom and want crazy money as do tuk tuk drivers . 

Udon is a lot more bang for your buck . Two days/nights Laos is plenty . 

Edited by jerry