Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

WalterA

Struggling financially in Thailand ..

WalterA

I don't understand why people who have worked their whole life in a western country and should retire comfortably in Thailand .... seem to end up with no assets struggling on a small pension .... 

Condo's are relatively cheap in Thailand , wouldn't  you at the very least buy a  condominium and not have to pay rent. The price of a condominium (just a normal 32 sq m) is the price of a medium car/sedan in Australia. 

I've seen many people get in financial trouble recently, I struggle to make sense of it ....

Did they give everything to their children ....

Did they give everything to their ex-wife ....

Did they give it all to Tilak in Issan and when the house was built got the boot?

Did they gamble it away .... drink it away ....

Yes, the Baht is quite strong, but that doesn't explain it all and tick all the boxes ....

Lok Jit

Many come here thinking it is Cheap but find out this is Not the case...Get wrapped around some Girl Fast and soon find there Money is going on Her Problems--Not his survival.........Buy a Condo? The Market is flooded with Unsold Condos but there Price seems Not to Drop? Then always get the chance to have a Neighbor from Hell that just Loves to see you miserable so Why Buy when Rent is super affordable and you get a shitty Neighbor? Move

hggcraig

Probably too much mongering

jocky king

But lots of men are happier to live in Thailand on small pension rather than sitting on a armchair with slippers at home ... can whistle any girls to their room anytime whereas they won’t in their home countries. :D

In Ireland , pensioners on full contributions get €248  , to exchange that to Thai baht  at 35 rate , 8,680 bt . To live in a rented condo of 7,000 bt a month with 1,500 for electricity &water . He would be living on 6,680 bt a week ( almost 900 bt daily )  , I think ok for him to live happily. With their sex life in decline , he would probably only do one lady a week . 

FROST MEDIC999
36 minutes ago, Lok Jit said:

Many come here thinking it is Cheap but find out this is Not the case...Get wrapped around some Girl Fast and soon find there Money is going on Her Problems--Not his survival.........Buy a Condo? The Market is flooded with Unsold Condos but there Price seems Not to Drop? Then always get the chance to have a Neighbor from Hell that just Loves to see you miserable so Why Buy when Rent is super affordable and you get a shitty Neighbor? Move

Yep unless you have spare money you can afford to the up in buying somewhere renting is surely the way to go nowadays

rickyroo

Why buy whrn the rental yield is so low and property availability on over supply is so advantageous.

Surely, investing your capital with dividends reinvested,  producing a return far greater than the yield on the property, with no property maintenance,  no insurance,  no property tax, no chance of property devaluation and the flexibility to move at a moment's notice if the government changes any tax or visa requirements is the way forward.

Do you disagree?

Atlas

Until you walk in their shoes try not to judge.... 

For me personally, a bad day here in so much better than a good day at home... 

WalterA
33 minutes ago, Atlas said:

Agree .... By the way, thanks for your thread where you mentioned the ING account, it has saved me a shitload of money, I owe you a few pots ....

I don't know do you where referring to my opening post, but I don't judge people and have had my truck loads of f.... ups .... I'm just trying to open a dialogue / exchange of ideas as to why this happens , when normally, most people should retire comfortably here .....

why are they in this situation? Is there a common thread? Bad luck , lack of judgement, string of bad decisions ... Etc .....

Jebb
38 minutes ago, Atlas said:

I would agree with that Atlas.

WalterA
45 minutes ago, rickyroo said:

Why buy whrn the rental yield is so low and property availability on over supply is so advantageous.

Surely, investing your capital with dividends reinvested,  producing a return far greater than the yield on the property, with no property maintenance,  no insurance,  no property tax, no chance of property devaluation and the flexibility to move at a moment's notice if the government changes any tax or visa requirements is the way forward.

Do you disagree?

Why buy, because it's cheap (the cost of a Toyota sedan in Australia at least ) and you don't have to pay rent and make someone else rich?

WalterA
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lok Jit said:

How many shity neighbors have you had?

Edited by WalterA

bobSL1

By far the majority I meet struggling all have a huge 'Leech' stuck on them.

davidge
Just now, WalterA said:

Why buy, because it's cheap (the cost of a Toyota sedan in Australia at least ) and you don't have to pay rent and make someone else rich?

If it’s purely a financial decision, there’s no contest. It’s 100% rent not buy. Absolutely no doubt at all about that.

FROST MEDIC999
1 minute ago, WalterA said:

How many shity neighbors have you had?

Imagine a block half  filled with PA members now theirs a thought eh 5555

jocky king
3 minutes ago, FROST MEDIC999 said:

Would be a World War 3 there ... 555

FROST MEDIC999
Just now, jocky king said:

Would be a World War 3 there ... 555

Unless Thailand allowed a Purge for 24 hrs every year now that jockey would be fun 5555

WalterA
7 minutes ago, FROST MEDIC999 said:

That would be a great place to live ..... Plenty of ST/LT girls you can fish on the way out (exit door) and all the neighbors are quiet because they busy posting all day on the laptop ......:D

ZRHuser

Just looked up the average pension in Germany. 2015 it's 1231 Euro. That is not a lot of money. If you go with this to retire in Thailand, you have to budget careful imho.

FROST MEDIC999
2 minutes ago, WalterA said:

That would be a great place to live ..... Plenty of ST/LT girls you can fish on the way out (exit door) and all the neighbors are quiet because they busy posting all day on the laptop ......:D

5555 sounds almost like Soi 6  maybe somebody needs to put it to lamok as a buisness idea

chippysam

Only guessing here , maybe many of the guys retiring here have been mongering for years . Probably spent money they should have been investing if they wanted to retire comfortably in Thailand . But it is a choice of fun now and tight times later the results are being poor later in life . 

jocky king
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ZRHuser said:

Just looked up the average pension in Germany. 2015 it's 1231 Euro. That is not a lot of money. If you go with this to retire in Thailand, you have to budget careful imho.

Fucking hell , that is more than in Ireland ... €1000 a month . Lucky me that I have private pension & annually dividends on top of state pension when I retire , plus the bonus thing is I already have a condo there ( bought in 2005) . Without a rent , it will replace the lady/Ladyboy fee ... 555 

Edited by jocky king

WalterA
14 minutes ago, davidge said:

If it’s purely a financial decision, there’s no contest. It’s 100% rent not buy. Absolutely no doubt at all about that.

I was renting and then I bought .... At the time I was paying 9000 .... Where I live people are paying between 7-12000 a month. ...... That was 4 years ago .... I've already saved myself over 400,000 Baht .....

9000 Baht x 12 months ......  108,000 Baht

108,000 x 4 years .... Over 400,000 Baht .....

..... I have an extra 400,000 Baht for pussy or whatever I want to do ..... And no monthly pressure , etc .....

overseas516
1 hour ago, jocky king said:

But lots of men are happier to live in Thailand on small pension rather than sitting on a armchair with slippers at home ... can whistle any girls to their room anytime whereas they won’t in their home countries. :D

In Ireland , pensioners on full contributions get €248  , to exchange that to Thai baht  at 35 rate , 8,680 bt . To live in a rented condo of 7,000 bt a month with 1,500 for electricity &water . He would be living on 6,680 bt a week ( almost 900 bt daily )  , I think ok for him to live happily. With their sex life in decline , he would probably only do one lady a week . 

Are we thinking of your good self here Jockey as if i remember you are not far off retiring? Are you only planing doing only lady a week? :P

WalterA
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jocky king said:

If he picks her up from beach road he might afford two a week ..... Maybe even three , if he goes for the ugly ones .....

Edited by WalterA

davidge
11 minutes ago, WalterA said:

I was renting and then I bought .... At the time I was paying 9000 .... Where I live people are paying between 7-12000 a month. ...... That was 4 years ago .... I've already saved myself over 400,000 Baht .....

9000 Baht x 12 months ......  108,000 Baht

108,000 x 4 years .... Over 400,000 Baht .....

..... I have an extra 400,000 Baht for pussy or whatever I want to do ..... And no monthly pressure , etc .....

I’ve looked at it several times. The sort of condos I’m looking at, I reckon it’s about 12 years rent to buy a condo. Then I take into account the extra outgoings when you own (annual fee, maintenance etc) which may not be high but still something. Also, you have the lump sum which gives you interest and can be drawn down to give extra income. Add to that the uncertainty of the future - health, personal circumstances, Thailand developments - and the difficulty of selling quickly.

Absolutely no contest for me.

As I’ve said more than once, I understand people wanting to buy to have their own place etc etc etc, but not on a financial calculation.