Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Ziggy Stardust

Carrying cash ?

Ziggy Stardust

Hi All

I will be bringing quite a bit of UK cash with me to use at one of the money exchange shops. I heard that you get the best rate at one of them. I shall have a small amount of Baht to pay my taxi bill from the airport to Pattaya.

My question is this.

Where is it best to put my money whilst traveling. in my hand luggage or in my cargo luggage ?

Obviously, I shall be putting it in my room safe on arrival.

I welcome any replies.

keepitfun

I would keep it with me at all times.  Maybe split into a couple of places....breast pocket, cabin baggage, wallet etc.

Very unlikely you’ll have an issue unless you walk around looking nervous always patting your pockets.

deano4598

When I travel to LOS I cary cash, I usually wear cargo shorts on the flight so I split the cash in 3, some in each pocket of the carg shorts and some in my wallet. Never usually take checked luggage but still prefer the cash right where I can feel it. Then as you said, into the safe on arrival.

petehoax

NEVER put it in your cargo lugagge. Higher risk of theft and MUCH higher risk that the airlines loses your lugagge or it takes 3-4 days until it arrives etc... 

i always carry it inside my hand lugagge in an inside department with a zipper. too annoying to carry it on my body imho, but whatever works for you... 

Wizardjones

I always have my cash in my carryon which I store under my seat on the plane. To much risk in my opinion with check in luggage when it comes to cash.

WalterA

Put it somewhere safe ...... On yourself ..... Prefebly a zipper pocket

glassmanengland

Take good quality 50£ notes only,less to carry.

Mr Wombat

How much money are you talking? USD20,000 maximum allowed into thailand 

fatjack1

I don't know how much is a lot to you.  I always travel with an emergency fund stash of about $5,000 US.  And it is always in my possession either in pocket or carry on.  

Syco
Posted (edited)

Get a Pacsafe wallet , you chain it to a belt loop on your trousers , then there is zero chance of losing it. I wouldn't travel without mine . I used to stress a-lot about losing money and documents before I bought one of these.

Screenshot_2019_03_17_09_43_12@2x.jpg

Screenshot_2019_03_17_09_43_36@2x.jpg

Edited by Syco

kd_traveller
Posted (edited)

I put the cash in my wallet which I then put in my Pacsafe travel safe (H x W x D): 16.34 x 10.43 x 1 in / 41.5 x 26.5 x 3 cm).  I lock the Pacsafe to my backpack which when it is not on my back I put in the overhead locker, so if someone wants to take my cash they have to take my backpack and I hope I would notice if it went missing!  Hopefully airport security is doing its job and nobody has a file to cut the cable or lock!

In the hotel I put the Pacsafe inside the room safe for added security, or if there is no safe it can be attached to something secure in the room. My Pacsafe is different to the one above as it locks to something rather than a person1

image.png.e41e57af5bbb52fbf73482a038a99723.png

Edited by kd_traveller
Additional post while I was writing my post!

mrfixer

I often bring large quantities of cash into Thailand (tens of thousands of GBP). I carry it in a rucksack (cabin baggage). Straight from the airport to currency exchange shops and then deposit in Thai bank account. Staff never bat an eyelid.

There is no limit on how much you can bring in, but you should report amounts over USD20k to customs. They are not interested  though and the one time I reported the money they looked irritated and waved me through.

billbill

My biggest fear of carrying cash.. is when I have to take it out of my pocket and let it go through the scanner with my carry on luggage... I want to watch my bag go through the scanner.. I still don't trust anyone when it comes to my money... I usually bring about 3000 usd on my trip... if it is on my body it is zipped up.... 

west3

Definitely not in your checked luggage. Keep it with you.

ctp2018
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, billbill said:

My biggest fear of carrying cash.. is when I have to take it out of my pocket and let it go through the scanner with my carry on luggage... I want to watch my bag go through the scanner.. 

My experience is that normally the agent is watching the screen for flags that point to the need for further scrutiny.  If the bag is opened for added screening, then you need to pay very close attention. Otherwise, the bag should remain untouched and proceeds down the conveyer belt.

Edited by ctp2018

ctp2018
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, petehoax said:

I always carry it inside my hand lugagge in an inside department with a zipper. too annoying to carry it on my body imho, but whatever works for you... 

I do the same, and add a small combo lock to each of of the zipper fasteners, thus securing it.

Edited by ctp2018

Axelblaise

I usually bring my cash in my backpack but I have a lock on my bag. Actually now that I think about it I only bring a pack with my clothes in it. 

LeoTex

I also only bring cash. Thought about putting it my luggage once, but happy I didn't as my luggage arrived Pattaya about 4 days after I did.

I split it ($7,000 US) 3 ways, I/3 each in 2 carryon bags and other 1/3 on my person. I have 2 cloth ankle wallets as well as a money belt that has no metal. Never once had to remove the ankle wallets or the belt.

Like a few had said, the would have to take the carryon bags to get the money. One goes in the overhead and other under the seat in front of me.

LeoTex

semi-retired member

The OP should be aware, if he isn't already, that he should declare & may be questioned about,  anything over 10k-Euros when leaving the UK.  Carry proof-of-withdrawl from your bank, if you're near/over the limit. 

Especially if they are targetting people with flights to/via the sub-Continent, as I have occasionally seen, on Jet Airways and Gulf-based carriers.

Consider splitting it up, between two bags & your pocket/wallet, before passing-through UK-departure security-scans, as they've been known to call the Customs who might want to question you about the origin of any larger-sum, on behalf of HMRC.

chris2004
Posted (edited)

Be careful with your room safe too. A friend had his entire holiday money stolen from his safe on the first night. The staff probably can guess that new residents will have large amounts of cash on them. Get it in a bank quickly.

Edited by chris2004

buck011
Posted (edited)

Rent a safe box at siam secure and use the hotel safe just for smaller amounts.

Edited by buck011

ctp2018

If the hotel has a front desk safe (with 2 keys), that is probably a safe bet also.

leedobra

I've been travelling for years with a lot of cash on me.  I use a money belt and keep my cash and passport in there.   It will sit tight right under the front of your jeans/shorts.  Super safe and you always know right where it is.  Throw a pen in there and you have everything you need to get through the airlines and immigration right on you with easy access.

deano4598
3 hours ago, billbill said:

My biggest fear of carrying cash.. is when I have to take it out of my pocket and let it go through the scanner with my carry on luggage... I want to watch my bag go through the scanner.. I still don't trust anyone when it comes to my money... I usually bring about 3000 usd on my trip... if it is on my body it is zipped up.... 

Why do you have to do this? I step into the scanner with my cash in my pockets and never have an issue.

billbill
5 minutes ago, deano4598 said:

Why do you have to do this? I step into the scanner with my cash in my pockets and never have an issue.

In the US... the TSA guys make you clear everything out of your pockets...tried it once without and was told to put the money in the bin