Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

td5855

So you want to live in Issan

td5855

52 years ago today my Dad died aged 46 (10-4-1967), I were 11 years old, I were split up, with the family going in a complete different direction with my elder siblings.  Being born and raised in a coal mining, steel working and locomotive repair yard area, surrounded by heavy engineering all supporting the shipyards in Glasgow, nobody left, it were literally a job for life, now nothing remains and the life is gone from the town I knew so well.   But, back then the journey from Motherwell started at 18 (1973) by leaving, never went back except to visit the graves.

Getting a good job with the Nationalised South of Scotland Electricity Board moved from Motherwell to Edinburgh when my mother remarried, two years later they moved and I had to look again for a roof over my head.  Luckily the SSEB kept me at 3 different Colleges, how I kept passing exams is still a mystery to me, 1976-1979 I were in digs with an OAP who had been a POW in a camp in Poland for the whole war.  He were my mentor, a father, a Dad I never had and there became a deep bond between us.  When he died I shed tears heavier and for longer than I did on hearing the passing of my mother.  1977 I joined the Merchant Navy having never had a homelife I wanted away from the land of my birth, there were no good memories.  Travelled around the World, volunteered to do extra time, I never smoked, never gambled and rarely drank beer (MN soon changed that) so my savings, grew enabling me to buy a flat in April, 1979 at 23, four months before my 24th birthday.

Travelled the world meeting and staying with a young lady in the witness protection program, she were from New York, now living in New Orleans, her olive skin, dark eyes and shiny dark hair gave me the taste for those female attributes. It were her convoluted lifestyle of always going to the local police shop/precinct if we were going out of town, opened up and told me what had happened in New York, started me viewing strangers in car parks as hit men, a lovely woman, but, oh so lonely.   Later stayed in Portland, Oregon with a hyper girl, never wore a bra or pants, let the body breathe she would say.  Going out were like taking a swarm of bees for a walk, you knew you were going to get sweet honey, but there were always the risk of a sting.  Met lovely ladies in South Africa, but 1983 left the ship in Bangkok, the "City of Angels".  This is the start of the spiral to debauchery...........

During the discharge of cargo, 5 of the sweetest examples of Asian femininity came into the officers bar, one latched onto me telling me she had never seen a more handsome man than me in her life, obviously she were telling the truth, becuase were I not very handsome??  On hearing I were leaving to fly home, she cried her eyes, distraught and heartbroken at the loss of her Prince.  She/I told the agent to change my ticket to 'open', if my Thai wife to be were arranging accomodation it had to have a private toilet, yes I know, toilet and private can mean different things to you, me and Thais.

So off the ship with this sweet 40kg mass of perfume flowers, honey tasting lips and red hot skin.  Ended up in a room above a bar, when the bar closed you could sleep.  I were in a daze, in a dream of flimsy underwear, feminine odour, flashing lights and topless gogo dancers, it were hell, but the old Scots/Celt in me fought on, these little slips of female were not going to win.  No idea of how many days I were there, eating things I am sure still alive.  One morning/afternoon I wake up and the bed is full of these lovlies, girls who had no customers slept my room since I had A/C, not a dry towel, talcum powder everywhere, my hands shaking better than a 10watt dildo.  I wanted to live so needed to escape.  Manged to phone the agent, he came my hotel/short time bar, saying good you go home not good 24 hour party, Huh, wait till I return.

Flew out around midnight, slept all the way, landed at Heathrow fuming with myself, all I needed were a good sleep and no beer for 24 hours, I were ready to go again, I were a fit handsome man of 28........

Exactly 21 years later I returned, in 2004, the road to Issan were there, but I were not aware that the cards had been dealt and my twilight years wouldbe here in Chaiyaphum province, Issan. 

Tried to load a picture from my Navy Discharge book showing port of leaving, sigh.....no good 

gummy

Good story and possibly true for many in some respects. A form of escapism in many respects as you have alluded to. But just a couple of things you need to outline to complete the picture. What was your life story in those 21 years prior to your return to paradise in 2004 and secondly, 2004  - what was the development that allowed you to stay in Isan, Thailand , retired at 47 or worked, as you are 62 now ? Udon Thani for me, older than you and it took me many years and a few wives, making and loosing two fortunes to find true contentment. Funny old life.

HowieD

Looking forwards to reading more from both you gents! 

renovator

Carry on TD, how's the mutts by the way? Lovely bunch.

td5855
18 hours ago, gummy said:

Good story and possibly true for many in some respects. A form of escapism in many respects as you have alluded to. But just a couple of things you need to outline to complete the picture. What was your life story in those 21 years prior to your return to paradise in 2004 and secondly, 2004  - what was the development that allowed you to stay in Isan, Thailand , retired at 47 or worked, as you are 62 now ? Udon Thani for me, older than you and it took me many years and a few wives, making and loosing two fortunes to find true contentment. Funny old life.

Hello Gummy,

Thank you for the comment, to fill in as easily as possible. 

Not so much escapism more of getting away from places where you have no good/warm memories that make you smile.

Those 21 years could be a book in itself, never got married until my 30th year, married at 29 in March 1985, turned 30 in the August. 

Before marriage I had the attitude, "If it seems like a good idea, why not", even when drink where involved.  I tried my hand at motorbike racing, at 18 via the college took up boxing and become a fairly good club/county boxer at Lt Mdl, 70kg, whenever I came up against guys who had the most natural of talents, same as in bike racing I would lose.  But still fun punching people for free, only downside, they were punching you, sometimes a lot harder.  Living later in Chipping Sodbury some young farmers heard of me and I were invited to a drinking social wild partying club.  All I had to do were turn out as No2 for their 2nd XV. 

Marriage to the wrong woman changed my spirit, my life and how I viewed things

td5855
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, renovator said:

Carry on TD, how's the mutts by the way? Lovely bunch.

Hello Renovator

Thank you for asking, my mutts (5) are all doing well. 

Took the 34 kg adult female to get spayed, two unplanned litters were enough, at the vets, asked if she bit, said no, she were picked up and promptly peed down the vets shorts and leg. 

Two days later took Sheba a 22kg, 10 month old daughter to be spayed.  She were clinging to me like a limpet, she were so scared, the vet thought she were a no bite dog like mum, wrong he tried picking her up bite, bite , she were so fast.  Vet did not need stitches but puncture wounds brought blood.  He were man enough to say his own fault, he should have asked. 

I carried her into the room, held her as she were sedated, last thing she seen were me.  Next day, went get her, she were in a cage, looking abandoned, scared, rejected and lonely.  When I opened the cage to get her out she tried speaking in that yelping/howling dogs do.  There is now a stronger bond with her and me than before.  Mum and Dad push her out the way to be first to be petted in the morning.

Only dog lovers will appreciate the empathy you get from a big mutt, there are few bigger than GSD who have affection with loyalty, protection with intelligence.  Great family dogs

48254055_276596283048700_5810699625996222464_n.jpg

48366027_2156002101334011_4647176222252466176_n.jpg

Edited by td5855

td5855

Gummy,

This were not intended but may help folk understand why I am here and not back there, so here is to fill in, a little background before my return to Paradise?

Married 1985, Alastair born 1987, wife who had chosen the house in 1984 now hated it and wanted to move.  We did in 1988, from a lovely detached 4 bed home in the countryside in Old Sodbury, source of the river Frome in the back garden and two 'Holm Oaks' in the front, I loved the house, but, anything I loved, I were not meant to keep. 

So off to Newbury in Berkshire, to a rundown, 3 bed semi, empty house, bought at an auction that had to be totally renovated, all the gumpff that we would make it a dream home together came to nothing, she would barely pick up a paint brush  

1989, Craig born who would sadly leave this world aged 27 in 2016.  During this time working abroad on ships I would get my tax back every year.  This money would allow her to have a break, (Without me) I would stay and renovate part of the home, re-plumbed, rewired and building extensions.  

1996 I get a phone call out in Norway, wife tells me she is pregnant, I say "Hope it is a little girl"  Shocked by her reply, want rid of it, do not want anymore of your children.  This is 8 years before I returned to Thailand, were she foolishly put down in legal documents 2006, that she loved me, that she lost me too Thai whores in 2005.  I later said,  "You in the witness box at a divorce hearing would have a hard time squaring killing our baby in 1996 while loving me in 2005"??

1997 Gordon Brown, Chancellor changed the tax rules, seafarers who were on vessels (Ships, self propelled semi's etc) engaged in mineral extraction of the seabed or supporting same, were no longer seafarers for the purpose of tax allowances.  But, guess what!!! for the purpose of having to pay Class 1 National Insurance, we were by another Government department 'Seafarers'

So 1997 onwards my ex hated not having the lump sum every year for a nice holiday and a change of car.  I would buy 8 year old barges, Audi 100's, Jag Sov's and BMW 7 series, nobody wanted a fully loaded Audi/Jag/7 series with FSH, they all wanted a clapped out 8 year old 3 series with no history instead.

Because of the atmosphere in the house, the ex and I stopped having sex, working offshore in a male environment, coming home and working on my garden, koi, cars and DIY, sex desire dropped off the radar and with meeting all her friends, who were man-haters made be more detached from women.  One Sunday morning with papers in hand and a big cup of tea, looking at the latest extension 'Master bedroom the width of the house and en-suite" Remarked that I wished my mum and dad could see how their youngest had struggled to get so far.  My ex replied, she would of been here regardless.  Now I have to say my ex were an attractive looking woman, from her teens to early 40's, then the anger inside her started coming out in her face, just as Thai people say your inner self shows itself in your face when older.

Spiral begins......................

2004, a vacancy comes up in Matak island, Indonesia.  Engineering Super asks if I were interested, he remarked about my home life and if I wanted a change of scenery and warmer weather from Norway and the Shetlands, I said "yes".  Well be ready to go 10 days after you leave the rig, you need go Singapore get visas and do a handover for the new unit.  Also you can do the 90 day tax rule for tax, instead of spending all your leave in the UK, spend half, you get all tax back.

Start of the Spiral........................

Land in Changi airport, the smell of the Orient hits me again, a warm scented smell of flower, cut grass and sewage.  You never forget it, I smiled, just were it possible I were coming home??

While working in Indonesia lots of the guys were staying their tax days in KL, Bali, Pattaya and Phuket.  An old North sea mate offered his home for a few weeks in Phuket, I took it.  Landed Phuket and made my way to a bar called 'Dirty Nellies' to pick up the keys went to the house, dumped my holdall and off out.  My old routine of only having abeer on a Saturday night and Sunday lunch time at the rugby club were at an end, it were every afternoon and night now.  It were my second leave back in Phuket when the owner of the bar, (Married to an Irishman) asked if I liked men or Ladyboys??  Told her I liked ladies, she replied she never see me with lady??  She did not know of my sexless years beforehand and how desire had been near extinguished.  Why you not go with 'Pan', cashier, I looked and seen an absolute stunner of a female, hair so shiny it looked metallic.  My remark that she would not want an old man like me.  Felt my sleeve being pulled, looked around and she said "Want go with you", "Why" my reply, "You clean, smell good, happy and smile, polite to lady".  I thought some basic hygiene, some old school manners and this lady from the front page of Vogue wants to go with me.  Why not indeed, she smells absolutely delicious, looks absolutely lovely.......  Yes why not.

So off together back to the house, on opening the door a torrent of water were coming down the stairs, leak found, off, into the room and with shaking hands started removing her clothes and fondling her.

To be continued tomorrow 

HowieD

Bloody good reading so far!

worldpunter

Don't need to go to the library ,  

Jebb

Good to see the thread resurrected TD. Thanks for sharing your story.

forcebwithu

A very good read indeed. TFP

Garzan
Posted (edited)

The young daughter likes to practice her makeup skills on our Guardian of the Manor. 

pop-soda.jpg.3cfcb31e63b2c1d494a888223b955470.jpg

Or maybe she is just trying to keep him out of the Thai Army. :-)

Soda.jpg.235869a2ae54a60e65e26fa22babf92e.jpg

Edited by Garzan

Garzan

For curiosities sake, why did you start the thread here rather than in "Expats". I think most of us are expats, and Isaan is where we live, rather than just a "trip". 555 Anyway, wherever it happens to live on PA, I'm glad to have a version of it back and functional. Bravo @td5855

Colin back in Pattaya

Hi TD,

Thanks a million for starting to tell the story of your life. It's a fascinating read so far, and this is only Day One.

Like many others, I'm awaiting tomorrow's episode with baited breath.

amar

Good job TD, thanks.
Good to keep things rolling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Danolo

Good writing... I look forward to more!

udontony

Just one day in and I am  trying hard to catch up on everything you have posted!   Bet there are many more stories out there that would be worth a read but not many that could write things so well.   One of my main reasons for wanting to live in Issan was to get away from the rat race that life would have been in the UK.   Well in a way I have succeeded but in other ways I have not.   Now working as much as ever but at least it is all self imposed and i can stop anytime I want.  Can holiday in Pattaya with very little cost and several times a year, could not do that from the UK.  I am working here to make our home as attractive as I can because I know there will be a time when I can do no more and then I want to be able to sit and appreciate what I have achieved!

ronthebrummie

I’ve seen and read many topics on life in Issan etc sounds a wonderful lifestyle? Seen some lovely property you guys have bought or built but how do you get round the fact foreigners can’t buy land? Wouldn’t want my lady owning it, so Thai company? Just how secure are you?

td5855
3 hours ago, udontony said:

Just one day in and I am  trying hard to catch up on everything you have posted!   Bet there are many more stories out there that would be worth a read but not many that could write things so well.   One of my main reasons for wanting to live in Issan was to get away from the rat race that life would have been in the UK.   Well in a way I have succeeded but in other ways I have not.   Now working as much as ever but at least it is all self imposed and i can stop anytime I want.  Can holiday in Pattaya with very little cost and several times a year, could not do that from the UK.  I am working here to make our home as attractive as I can because I know there will be a time when I can do no more and then I want to be able to sit and appreciate what I have achieved!

UT,

I am hoping on this blog you post your journey from the UK to Udon Thani, same as @Garzan as others.  All the guys I have met in Anzac bar, have a book in them, most people think their life is quiet, tedious, it is if you have never left your town, never had a passport.  But, the colonial explorers of Issan have travelled far and taken many turns 

udontony
3 minutes ago, td5855 said:

UT,

I am hoping on this blog you post your journey from the UK to Udon Thani, same as @Garzan as others.  All the guys I have met in Anzac bar, have a book in them, most people think their life is quiet, tedious, it is if you have never left your town, never had a passport.  But, the colonial explorers of Issan have travelled far and taken many turns 

As you already know I have had a very different life, nearly always something exciting happening mainly because of the nature of what I did for a job but believe that excitement would not be so entertaining for others.   Nearly all the time my posts on PA are in answer to what I see others post and I try to help if I can with answers.

td5855
8 minutes ago, udontony said:

As you already know I have had a very different life, nearly always something exciting happening mainly because of the nature of what I did for a job but believe that excitement would not be so entertaining for others.   Nearly all the time my posts on PA are in answer to what I see others post and I try to help if I can with answers.

UT

That is why you journey would be so interesting.  It is different from mine, yet I never thought anything about it until my eldest boy thought it were "cool" where I had been, Africa and rabies injections were one tale one night in a bar.

Please post how you ended here in Issan, I implore others to do the same, the places we have passed through to our trip end are all different

td5855
Posted (edited)

The Downward Spiral........

There were Pan and I together and not only were I being unfaithful to my wife back in the UK, I were very shy with this woman, needless to say she took one hand and put it inside her jumper, I nearly jumped with the shock.  To feel softness again through a lacy bra had me gibbering more than a 16 year old boy promised his first BJ.  Well we managed to undress ourselves and together went into the shower, Mr Banana were fast asleep, all my silent will power were shouting "Wake up ya Bazza", She washed my whole body whilst she had the cleanest pair of breasts and bottom in the Kingdom.  Breasts that were a little larger than the average Thai, so smooth and soft i could not keep my hands off them.  Sat on the bed, she dried me off and then came a BJ such like I have never had in years.

In the morning she were running her fingers through my chest hair, with no make up she still looked like a dream.  Having a relaxed, welcoming and soft female close after so many years were Bliss the natural female odour is attractive I were so happy though a little guilt struck.  Sex with my ex, were when she were drunk, the smell of cigarette smoke and stale wine on her breath were revolting that many times I could not get hard, then told your not a man.  Yet with Pan, I could break concrete, so for the next hour it were touch, nibble kiss and eat.  But, the torrent of water earlier had to be fixed.

The bum gun had split and needed replaced, I were opening all windows and doors to let the few inches of water evaporate from downstairs, she had left, but came back with a mop and bucket, not her home but helping others.  Once done she said the house were dirty, did I want it cleaned.  Well it looked perfect to me but, go ahead.  Found later that the dust on the TV were so thick and tiles looked covered in volcanic ash. Once all cleaned the house looked and smelt good, offers of money were refused with the comment "You needed help, so I help", spoke to her boss about Pan and her refusal to take any money, told I should treat her like a GF and take her out, okay, what bar she like to go, she work bar, not go bar.  Take her fishing?

"Run that past me again", a beautiful looking model/porn actress wants a day out "Fishing" she wants to go fishing, yes?  Yes, shrimp fishing.  So here is me thinking that tomorrow I will be out with her on a trawler, "Women, never understand them" were my thoughts.  Next day 11am Pan who had stayed another night of hide the banana turned up on a bike, dressed for a GoGo bar not a trawler expedition.  On the bike and headed inland, what did I a seafarer know about the sea and trawlers. After 20 minutes came to a bar that had a very shallow swimming pool, given a cane, line with a hook and float with bait, sit over the edge of the pool and start fishing for supper.  Soon got the hang of it, we had shrimp soup, roasted and boiled shrimp washed down with beer, starting to think I could live here as I seen Pan so attentive, bringing me another beer, long slim golden legs reaching up to a pair of cu-off denim shorts.......  Cough, cough where were I.  Yes, Pan, I thought that maybe there were something there between us, but that night she told me she could not go my home for 1 month, her Belgium boyfriend were arriving tomorrow and asked if I would wait for her, again confusion, women I will never understand them.  Told her I would go down the town with some guys then, she said I could not bring strange lady to her bar, she be jealous. Women, Thai women, they sure think in circles not straight lines.

First photo shows the owner of the bar, middle is Yao, who I took to Singapore during Dry-dock, refit in Keppel Fels shipyard.  We started to become an item until I moved with my mate to Pattaya mid 2005 after the Tsunami, we split our time between the two homes, I paid one rent.  Yao did not like Pattaya wanted me to move to Roi-Et, but I had fallen into the debauched pit of available Pattaya woman which there were thousands of beautiful women I am 49, stopped playing for the veterans (Over 40's Rugby) only two years early at 47. At my 50th birthday in the same bar, an ex RAF regiment soldier found out this ex boxer/hooker could still swing and grapple.  TBC

Dirty nellies.jpg

Instead of having a front door looking out, built another and had a side front door.  My Indonesian tan led my ex to say I were so high up the tree now, I no longer worked.  Told her it were the opposite now.  Outside you can see my old Audi 100.  lovely car

HouseIndo.jpg

oka 5yq.bmp

Edited by td5855
Info

Jebb
1 hour ago, td5855 said:

UT

That is why you journey would be so interesting.  It is different from mine, yet I never thought anything about it until my eldest boy thought it were "cool" where I had been, Africa and rabies injections were one tale one night in a bar.

Please post how you ended here in Issan, I implore others to do the same, the places we have passed through to our trip end are all different

Great idea TD, everyone has a story to tell (some even true) 555. It would be fantastic to hear everyones journey in life from ordinary Joe to Expat.

td5855
36 minutes ago, Jebb said:

Great idea TD, everyone has a story to tell (some even true) 555. It would be fantastic to hear everyones journey in life from ordinary Joe to Expat.

So true, when visiting UT met so many individuals, how and why the settled on this piece of ground is wondrous to hear.

udontony
1 hour ago, td5855 said:

So true, when visiting UT met so many individuals, how and why the settled on this piece of ground is wondrous to hear.

I am lucky that we have some really nice expats around here, they have all some story behind them but dont we all.  Glad that you were able to meet some of them when you came to visit here but non of them are on PA.  A German friend that you met was in a very good executive job with Mercedes in Germany and he has ended up on a small rubber farm with no proper road, no electric or water supply, they have three solar panels and carry all the water to the farm.   If anyone can stay in Issan Jungle he is an example of how much his life has changed but he does love the life style.

I settled where I am because my wife had worked away in Taiwan for three years, earned good money and had the foresight to buy back some family land.  She had planted some of it with fruit trees and the rest with rubber trees even before I met her.  All we needed was a decent house and things were good.   She has planted up the gardens and takes care of everything decorative, I planted up fruit and veg plus installed some small ponds.  The ponds are mainly decorative but now there are some full of fish that we plan to eat very soon.   It takes me all my time to keep up with the maintainence and little time to do more large projects but still find time for some small trips off, mainly Pattaya.

First trip to Thailand was in 1979 and believe it or not when I went home after two weeks I knew I would one day be living here.  It took me until 2011 before I moved here full time and I have never been back to the UK since.  Just before we left we had a party and nearly every one said I would be back within a year, how wrong they have been.  Every one knew of my involvement in the community and never thought I could cut ties and move here and be happy but I am.   If I ever have a bad day, I just think what I would be doing if i had stayed in the UK and I feel better straight away.

Many years I could only get short holidays from my work, the job was very tying but so interesting and unfortunately not that well paid.  I could have got a better paid job but it could never have made up for the good times I had in the job I did.  Where I lived in the Yorkshire Dales was just a pleasure to be there all the time in both winter and summer ( one thing I miss in Thailand is the seasons and cooler weather ).   Before I moved back to Yorkshire which is where I was born I worked in the Highlands of Scotland and the North of Canada, all beautiful place to live.  Now I am living in some hills with plenty of Jungle all around so I am really happy to have the beautiful place to live again.   At one time I thought I might have retired to Pattaya but that was before I discovered Issan, really glad that I am where I am and can easily visit Pattaya whenever I want.   Now have the best of both worlds, beautiful rural area with easy access to Pattaya.