Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Ru4Real

Notre Dame burns

Ru4Real

Sad day

hansworst

Horrendus, such an iconic building..

Can't imagine they will be able to restore this severe damage

Luv2Phuket

Ironically, I am reading that they think it may have been caused by the renovation work that was being done.

Very sad. 

james 71

I was lucky to be in there a couple of years ago when there was a version of harvest festival ,so there was singing going on it was quite moving ,cathedrals have some great acoustics ,can't imagine the French government having the money to restore it back,as it's been in bad decay for many years and they could never find the funds then 

wengweng
Posted (edited)

As a child one of my favourite horror characters was Quasimodo from of course The Hunchback Of Notre-Dame, one of Frances greatest works of literature.  I remember  many years back going to see Charles Laughton in probably the best adaptation of the novel ,and  Lon Chaney was the first to play him in the silent classic version. So although not as familiar with the building as I should , it still holds a place in my childhood. So sad this has happened to such an iconic building.

480218_429688584032508_3174044458577335225_n.png

17966091_827293404091180_4377889984907887625_o.jpg

Edited by wengweng

Steeve69

Unbelievable. How can this happen nowadays ?

Kahoy

I just can't help but wonder why a building of this significance and vulnerability doesn't have a 24x7 fire patrol inspecting it day and night. It's not like the Catholic Church would have trouble stumping up the funds.

keepitfun

Lucky to visit a few years ago.  Very sad to lose such history.

duffMaster

Watching it on TV ... and I’m just feeling sad...one of the most iconic buildings in the world, it’s actually painful to watch. 

Bernie Num Nums

FRANCE 24 NEWS (English)

Leedsmick

I have a hunch..who was behind this :Oops3:

roderick
1 minute ago, Leedsmick said:

I have a hunch..who was behind this :Oops3:

Yes I think I agree with you !

Ziplee

Just watched it on the news, looks like it started near some construction scaffolding. Already reported that the walls are intact and it will be rebuilt. 

rope-a-dope

Sloppy building practices on the renovation work? I think i read it was a $7m renovation project..be a bit more than that now. 850 years of history down the pan. There are some site workers having a sleepless night tonight.

Jarrod2518
2 hours ago, Leedsmick said:

I have a hunch..who was behind thi

I am "backing" you.

Scuba+
Horrendus, such an iconic building..
Can't imagine they will be able to restore this severe damage
Yeah thanks to hunchback

per anum

Have never been into the cathedral, have only seen it from outside, what a beautiful structure.....I do hope they rebuild it......I hear the damage didn't destroy the entire structure. 

Regardless, the nicest for me was Mont St Michel..... visited as a kid but is still burned into my memory.....

Image result for mont st.michel

forcebwithu

Good video of the fire and destruction.

Croaking Lizard
9 hours ago, Kahoy said:

I just can't help but wonder why a building of this significance and vulnerability doesn't have a 24x7 fire patrol inspecting it day and night. It's not like the Catholic Church would have trouble stumping up the funds.

Notre Dame isn't owned by the Catholic church. Its owned by the french State

regyai

Quasimodo getting on in years 

fell asleep with cigarette watching telly

Captain Cockblock

Reports coming out of Paris this morning suggests that the French Police are questioning the building contractor involved in the restoration works. 

Picture below of contractor working on F. Towers in the 1970’s

AF8C2F92-1A99-4FCB-8397-79901F42AA7F.jpeg.33c92138c54965571cd188626d9ff081.jpeg

Little Evil
16 hours ago, Steeve69 said:

I'd put a bet that it was a hot work accident for the renovations. The building, being ancient, has no code spec for fire tolerance, and most likely not retrofit with suppression.

700 years of history. It's a damn shame, but at least lots of corporations and rich people are stepping up pledging hundreds of millions of dollars in restoration donations. One French billionaire alone said he would pledge $300M euros to the cause. While you can't replace the history of the architecture and stained glass, the bones are still largely saved and they can replicate the spires and ornate glass. 

Oukiva
Posted (edited)

Hi. This fire on such an historical and symbolical monument is a tragedy, no doubt :sad: but now we (at least French people) have to be optimistic and to think about repairing it!

There was  big risk at some point to see the whole building collapse :o, but "thanks to God" (or rather thanks to the firemen work) the building still stand, with its towers and façade barely damaged and, despite a part of the vault who collapsed (below), there is good hope now that the building can be saved.

1200x768_selon-premieres-images-interieu

The fire was incredibly strong, but luckily it stayed a The Roof level. Here to give you an idea of how bad it was when all The Roof wooden frame was burning. (the building is 128m long)

1200x768_an-image-taken-from-a-televisio

At this point it was too dangerous for firemen to fight the fire from the inside, but "Colossus" was there and played a big role in aviding that the inside of the cathedral burns.

D4QyW0eXoAAp97U.jpg:large

Here you can see debris of the part who collapsed, but also see that the ground floor is not really damaged (statues, benches, stained glass... and even candles!)

notre-dame-fire7-rt-ml-190416_hpMain_16x

The work/renovation seems to be the source of the fire... but because of this renovation some of the biggest or most important pieces of art had been removed from the cathedral a few weeks ago, so undamaged.

Also a human chain was quickly created by policemen and municipal agents on place, quickly helped by many civilians, to exit most (if not all) treasures who were in exposition. All major ones have been saved, and most (if not all?) other.

D4OsfKmXsAAUo7A.jpg

The organist said that famous big organ has not been damaged by the fire, but the huge quantity of water received may imply a renovation. "Nothing than we can't do" he said.

The big rosette above the organ as - surprisingly - also resisted.

cover-r4x3w1000-5cb5a07bcb3d9-000-1fo6y8

The 2 richest French billionaires have quickly announce donations of 100 and 200 millions euros for the renovations and many companies also made smaller announces of donations. Thanks to them.

Let's be optimistic.

Edited by Oukiva

whitespider
20 hours ago, Steeve69 said:

Put simply because The Roof and spire were made of wood, and old dry wood already in need of restoration at that. Sad yes, and you are correct you would not expect it in this day and age but old dead wood and fire/sparks dont mix anywhere.

Steeve69
14 minutes ago, whitespider said:

Put simply because The Roof and spire were made of wood, and old dry wood already in need of restoration at that. Sad yes, and you are correct you would not expect it in this day and age but old dead wood and fire/sparks dont mix anywhere.

Yes, agree, but were there any smoke alarms and  fire extinguishers in the cathedral ? If so, did they work properly ? I have some doubts. When the firemen started fighting the fire, it was already too late.