Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Sign in to follow this  
ctp2018

HCMC - Airport Transportation?

lvartist

Grab uses your credit card. Tip by cash or the Grab  app.

Ludhamlad
1 hour ago, ctp2018 said:

Ludhamlad, I forgot to ask about how you used the grab taxi in HCMC. I understand you pay with cash using the grab app, but did you throw in a tip, or did you just pay what was showing on your phone? Thanks. :Clap1:

Pay the whole fair in cash.  Airport to apartment was 117K, I gave him 150K, I have tipped every time.

Came back last night using Vinasun, no booking he was parked outside a bar I came out of and he was spot on too, started to give me the change back but I said it's OK.  The security guys outside my apartment use these.  Nice to not have to ask for meter to be switched on unlike Bangkok.

Ludhamlad
13 hours ago, ctp2018 said:

Thanks a lot for making the post from Ho Chi Minh City! It sounds like the lady that does the currency exchange at the airport did well by you. I have read in the past were some others have had problems with her. Also, getting the Sim card set up at the airport sounds like it’s a great idea, especially with  10GB of data.  Where did  you meet the grab driver at the airport?  Others have said they had to meet away from the main area, so I was curious about that. 

Please  let us know how the nightlife is working out for you, and if you have a chance to find the “bia om” (beer hug) spots. As I read more and more about HCMC, I’m coming to the conclusion that there is some great night live but you really have to know how to avail yourself of it. Keep up the good work!  :wink:

There's several currency/sim desks to buy from, I was just looking for one that would give me at least 30K to £1.  She booked Bay 13 for the taxi which is to the right as you exit the airport.

First time hitting some beer bars last night, in fact I only went in 2, both had some very nice girls in, very impressed even though it was 140K per lady drink....ouch...heading there again tonight :D

ctp2018
7 hours ago, Ludhamlad said:

She booked Bay 13 for the taxi which is to the right as you exit the airport.

First time hitting some beer bars last night, in fact I only went in 2, both had some very nice girls in, very impressed even though it was 140K per lady drink....ouch..

I guess I misunderstood, did the currency exchange lady book a taxi for you? I was thinking that you took the grab taxi from the airport? 

The “bia om”, or beer hug joints are usually frequently by locals, and they are very inexpensive. Also, I don’t think they are located in District one, so someone will have to show you where they are.  Most likely, a doorman or a hotel, or someone of that ilk.  Look forward to getting more info from your trip to HCMC! Thanks.

Ludhamlad
10 hours ago, ctp2018 said:

I guess I misunderstood, did the currency exchange lady book a taxi for you? I was thinking that you took the grab taxi from the airport? 

The “bia om”, or beer hug joints are usually frequently by locals, and they are very inexpensive. Also, I don’t think they are located in District one, so someone will have to show you where they are.  Most likely, a doorman or a hotel, or someone of that ilk.  Look forward to getting more info from your trip to HCMC! Thanks.

Yes she booked it using my phone obviously, Grab from airport to apartment.

The beer prices have been reasonable in the bars I've been in, seems quite a lot of new to bar girls around.  140K for LD's and a girl last night said she only gets 40K of this.

ctp2018
14 minutes ago, Ludhamlad said:

Yes she booked it using my phone obviously, Grab from airport to apartment.

Sounds like it worked out very well for you at the airport! Were you able to meet the taxi in the regular airport area, or did you have to walk aways to meet the driver? I ask because another boardmember mentioned you might I have to walk some distance to meet the driver.  It was nice of the lady to summon the grab taxi for you. A little Vietnamese hospitality I think!!

Thanks for the updates, and please keep them coming as available. :Clap1:

Ludhamlad
19 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

Sounds like it worked out very well for you at the airport! Were you able to meet the taxi in the regular airport area, or did you have to walk aways to meet the driver? I ask because another boardmember mentioned you might I have to walk some distance to meet the driver.  It was nice of the lady to summon the grab taxi for you. A little Vietnamese hospitality I think!!

Thanks for the updates, and please keep them coming as available. :Clap1:

No it's just outside the airport, short distance to Bay 13.  All the best.

ctp2018
1 hour ago, Ludhamlad said:

No it's just outside the airport, short distance to Bay 13.  All the best.

Thanks! I assume it is easy walking distance (100-200 yards)?

Ludhamlad
3 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

Thanks! I assume it is easy walking distance (100-200 yards)?

Yep certainly no more than that.

ctp2018
8 minutes ago, Ludhamlad said:

Yep certainly no more than that.

Sounds good! I read that there is a $10,000 dong charge added to airport taxi fees. I assume you just took the amount shown on your smart phone and payed that amount plus tip?  Just as with Uber, it’s all done from your phone! 

Ludhamlad
14 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

Sounds good! I read that there is a $10,000 dong charge added to airport taxi fees. I assume you just took the amount shown on your smart phone and payed that amount plus tip?  Just as with Uber, it’s all done from your phone! 

The initial price that came up was 107K, the lady said she thought it would be 137K because of tolls.  The driver paid one toll fee and when he showed me the final price it was 117K so 10K more but I just put this down to the toll.  From the start I was always happy to pay 150K and happy to leave a tip for a hassle free journey.

ctp2018

Glad the airport journey worked out so well!  Just so I will know, you saw the 117k dong amount on your phone, correct? It seems like it’s  a big plus to have record and see the amount on your own phone (from my point of view).  I appreciate the help! 

Ludhamlad
1 hour ago, ctp2018 said:

Glad the airport journey worked out so well!  Just so I will know, you saw the 117k dong amount on your phone, correct? It seems like it’s  a big plus to have record and see the amount on your own phone (from my point of view).  I appreciate the help! 

No the 117K he showed me on his phone, the extra 10K is worth something like 40 cents at a guess :D

ctp2018
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Ludhamlad said:

No the 117K he showed me on his phone, the extra 10K is worth something like 40 cents at a guess :D

Thanks!  I guess I thought that Grab works the same way as Uber does, and you see the amount on your phone so you know what to pay. So Grab does not work that way? :wacko:

Edited by ctp2018

lvartist

Ctp2018......is your first time traveling? You are obsessing over Grab and a paltry 10k dong which is the equivalent of about 43 cents $U.S. 

ctp2018
11 minutes ago, lvartist said:

Ctp2018......is your first time traveling? You are obsessing over Grab and a paltry 10k dong which is the equivalent of about 43 cents $U.S. 

Don’t care about the $.40, just trying to understand the process.

lvartist

It's really complicated!!! I've used Grab 23 times since May 1. Here is how it works....

1. Open App......still with me?

2. Decide mode of transportation.....in my case tuktuk or car.

3. Set starting point.

4. Select destination

5. View screen which shows route and cost.

6. Push "Book" button

7. Driver selected pops up on screen who is now on his way.

8. Driver arrives

9. Off you go

10. At destination, get out, pay/tip driver. Cash or via a credit card if you have one on file with Grab.

11. Done

Very complex system. Wait until just have to go through TSA and immigration at your your destination. That should really confuse you.

ctp2018
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, lvartist said:

Very complex system. Wait until just have to go through TSA and immigration at your your destination. That should really confuse you.

I tried to stay with you…   Lol (sorry if it bothered you)

Edited by ctp2018

CyberPro
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ctp2018 said:

I tried to stay with you…   Lol (sorry if it bothered you)

Don't take this personally but you seem somewhat "challenged" by just getting from the airport to downtown. YouTube has numerous videos on how to do this easily.

If just getting to town seems like such a big deal, what is your plan for dealing with issues like getting sick, losing a wallet, other unexpected travel dramas?

The Vietnamese (in my experience) are hard-working, industrious and there must be plenty of guide/tour services who would be happy to meet you at the airport and take  you by the hand to your hotel, give you a tour of Saigon the next day. If you don't find enough choices in the link below, set up something in advance with a Virtual Assistant found in Upwork, etc.

I lived in Saigon for a spell "way back when" and then, and I'm sure now, getting from the airport to downtown was "drop dead easy". The wisdom then was negotiate the price up front. ;)

Good luck with that and enjoy your trip.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Guide+service+for+Saigon&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS720US720&oq=Guide+service+for+Saigon&aqs=chrome..69i57.12940j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by CyberPro

Harry Brown

Guys, just a reminder that this forum has a'nice to be nice ' ethos .

Please no sarcastic remarks.

Ebeneezer_goode

Definetly download the grab app and use that, can link it to your bank account so you dont need to use cash and also the app will tell you exactly how much it will cost. Taxi drivers will try and increase rates and stuff 

lvartist

Link to a bank account?  Or a credit card? Not a good idea to give anyone access to one's bank account.