Jump to content

Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

AmazingPaddy

[Q] Vaccination before Thailand trip

Recommended Posts

AmazingPaddy

Hi guys,

 

I'm coming to Thailand for the first time. Visiting Bangkok and Pattaya for 4 days by June first week. And I'm planning to full fill my fantasies... But before that do I need to take any vaccinations such as Hepatitis B etc? Can you guys please help on this ..

 

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deano4598

Mate just go see your local doctor and tell him/her where you are holidaying, they will give you what is prudent. You may get good advice here but TBH none of these BMs are qualified to dispense medical advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChiFlyer
7 minutes ago, deano4598 said:

Mate just go see your local doctor and tell him/her where you are holidaying, they will give you what is prudent. You may get good advice here but TBH none of these BMs are qualified to dispense medical advice.

Very true. Since I visit Isan during my stays, my primary doctor advised me to get a Hep-A vaccination. I did what he suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lvartist
Posted (edited)

I went to the public health clinic in my home town. No vaccinations required. However, they recommended hep a and b and tetanus for anyone regardless of travel. Also a flu shot.

Hep AB  Twinrix requires a 6 month 3 shot regime. Shot 2 one month after the initial shot and 3rd shot 6 months after shot 1.

Edited by lvartist
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deano4598
12 minutes ago, lvartist said:

I went to the public health clinic in my home town. No vaccinations required. However, they recommended hep a and b and tetanus for anyone regardless of travel. Also a flu shot.

Hep AB  Twinrix requires a 6 month 3 shot regime. Shot 2 one month after the initial shot and 3rd shot 6 months after shot 1.

What is not evident here is that the first dose (shot) gives a very high level of protection so if you are within the time frame for the 6 months course of shots you can start and complete when you return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skyline69

Not a concern for your first round, but worth keeping in mind:  The Hep B shot is good for maybe 20 years but then you can lose your immunity.

My doc mentioned this so we ran a test and I was below the threshold.  Simple fix: just get a booster round and you are good to go.

Apparently this is common and health professionals will have periodic Hep B checks to make sure they are still protected.

I don’t know what other vaccinations are the same... certainly Tetanus, but others too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ocka

My doc. recommended Hep A and B, Typhoid, tetanus, and diphtheria, which I accepted and got them done.

He didn't recommend HPV,  but I talked him into it and got those vaccinations too.  Might as well be careful when mongering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AmazingPaddy

thanks guys for the comments/suggestions.. I will visit the local doctor here.. since I coming to Pattaya on June 4th.. isn't getting HepB vaccinations too late? Or one shot is enough ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lvartist

I wrote earlier that the Twinrix (A and B) requires 3 shots over a 6 month period. If only one shot was "enough" then why have a 3 shot protocol? One shot likely to provide some protection.......perhaps better than nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Brown
19 minutes ago, lvartist said:

I wrote earlier that the Twinrix (A and B) requires 3 shots over a 6 month period. If only one shot was "enough" then why have a 3 shot protocol? One shot likely to provide some protection.......perhaps better than nothing. 

You need the three for full protection, one shot will offer some protection though how much I'm not sure.

I would start them now and get the others when I got home.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwioyPjb0Z3iAhUimeYKHVA7DAoQFjABegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sahealth.sa.gov.au%2Fwps%2Fwcm%2Fconnect%2Fpublic%2Bcontent%2Fsa%2Bhealth%2Binternet%2Fhealth%2Btopics%2Fhealth%2Bconditions%2Bprevention%2Band%2Btreatment%2Fimmunisation%2Fvaccines%2Fhepatitis%2Bb%2Bvaccine%2Fhepatitis%2Bb%2Bvaccine%2Bfrequently%2Basked%2Bquestions&usg=AOvVaw1et2YI_318hh1zzMIoZ1jj

 

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.29.16 pm.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ex-pat

The last time this came up, rabies vaccination was discussed. If you get bitten by a dog (or other animal) you can get the shots after the fact but it might be more convenient to get 'em before you leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RRosenberg

Regarding the whole vaccine thing, don’t you get protected against a specific strain, most likely the one common to where you live? Hence why we now have these “super strains” which are immune to vaccinations as people are getting the shots, travelling under the guise they are protected and then ultimately picking up a strain up from overseas which is resistant or different from the strain you were protected against?

 

Kind of like how the Flu shot gives you the strain from the prior year but each year flu season brings a new strain (sort of).

Edited by RRosenberg
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lvartist

I suggest that you do some reading about Hep A and B. You do not want either. Travelling is irrelevant. Wise choice to get vaccinated.  Hep A and B is not like the flu.

Since you mention "super strains".......please detail your source material about super strains of Hep A and B and the source material about specific strains of A and B based on "where you live."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ricktoronto
12 hours ago, RRosenberg said:

Regarding the whole vaccine thing, don’t you get protected against a specific strain, most likely the one common to where you live? Hence why we now have these “super strains” which are immune to vaccinations as people are getting the shots, travelling under the guise they are protected and then ultimately picking up a strain up from overseas which is resistant or different from the strain you were protected against?

 

Kind of like how the Flu shot gives you the strain from the prior year but each year flu season brings a new strain (sort of).

Straight answer, no. Flu mutates a lot. So it needs a reformulated vaccine each season depending on what's predicted to be prevalent. Hepatitis and measles no, one reason being that a lot of people are vaccinated and diseases like these are in smaller population groups and hopefully will remain so until idiots who listen to even more idiot anti vaxxers start to reduce herd immunity.

There are strains of bacterial diseases like meningitis and multi valent vaccines against multiple strains. 

The OP you need A and B. A comes from bad hygiene and B from sex and injection drug use. B can kill you.

Mahidol Hospital in Bangkok has a travel vaccine clinic with no thai\farang pricing differential. Way cheaper than the west. Like 20% or less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.