Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >>  Thai Friendly | ThaiMatch.com 100% Free Thai DatingLuxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya InvestigationsBabydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ  | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

gentleenforcer

Bob Hawke former Australian Prime Minister R.I.P.

gentleenforcer

I just heard that former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke died today. IMHO he was the best Labor Prime Minister that we have ever had.

boingo

RIP. Probably the best prime minister since the second world war.

ronboy

Yes a great politician ..a great leader ...brought in major economic and environmental reforms that endure to this day in Australia...

jocky king

Downing a 2 and a half pints of beer in 11 seconds in his college days . RIP Bob . 

bukone
38 minutes ago, jocky king said:

Downing a 2 and a half pints of beer in 11 seconds in his college days . RIP Bob . 

He downed a schooner at the cricket last summer, 88 years old

most famous line from him was when we won the America’s cup.

who ever sacks a worker for having a day off today is a bum 555 good knock about PM

Zeb
Posted (edited)

Skulled Beers regularly at the cricket etc - but a great reforming Labor PM affectionately referred to as the Silver Bogie for his mane of Silver Hair. Rhodes Scholar, Success Reforming PM etc etc

That Medicare Universal Healthcover card that we all carry is quite a legacy to leave.

He went 'on the dry' during his time as PM (non alcoholic Beer apparently ) - then got his thirst back when he left politics.

Vale Old Son

He was still doing this in public to loud cheers well into his 80's. Died today at 89.

Great Innings!

Edited by Zeb

Zeb

Zeb

Bob Hawke Drops the F Bomb

Zeb

Zeb

Zeb

Bob Hawke was a lot of things. Statesman. Drunk. Healer. Philanderer. Rhodes scholar. Ocker. Political genius. Trade unionist. Financial deregulator. Government interventionist. Reformist. Conservationist. A big-picture guy who wore an enormous bleeding heart on his sleeve.

On national television and in parliament, he cried and cracked jokes and roared with laughter and, on at least one occasion, all but told Richard Carleton to fuck off.

He was an authentic giant.

Read more:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/hawke-26873367

Zeb

I read recently that childhood poverty decreased by 30% during Mr Hawke’s tenure and that that is by far the most significant improvement in Australia’s history.

Mr Hawke knew the necessity of setting ambitious goals and trying things, and if they didn’t work at first, try something else; repeat until success.

The low risk path—”under-promise and over-deliver”—was not the path he trod.

Instead, he led a government thoroughly infused with a “bold experimentalism” perhaps learned from FDR, married to Mr Hawke’s unique talent for bringing people together under the banner of consensus.

A leader not only of the Labor Government, but for the whole country.

Sorry if posting too much on this - but he was really one of the good guys.

froddo

I never knew the Silver Bodgie was a saint but after reading the eulogies posted here I'll have a rethink, or not!

stubby

He took risks other PM's would not especially the weak kneed pollies we endure today RIP Bob.

Jebb

One of the very few politicians these days who had a personality and a backbone.RIP.

ocka

A likeable and popular bloke,  but also the PM who got me to stop voting for Labor.

Can't say why due to forum rules.

twotongue
9 hours ago, gentleenforcer said:

I just heard that former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke died today. IMHO he was the best Labor Prime Minister that we have ever had.

Mate ,  you often told me of your admiration for PM Bob Hawke , BUT....... i know  it was Julia Gillard's ass that REALLY got you aroused .

Nando9999

Medicare, disability, sexual discrimination, environmental protection, he changed Australia for the better, also likeable unlike any of the muppets since.

OldAsiaHand

I walked into a hotel bar in Sydney late one night a good thirty years ago and found Bob Hawke sitting at the bar. He invited me to sit down and I did. We closed the placed. A good night and one I will never forget.

Captain Dave
16 hours ago, gentleenforcer said:

Wasn't that the bloke that got re-elected by bursting into tears?

Zeb
1 hour ago, Captain Dave said:

He cried on National TV when discussing his daughter's drug addition and what it was doing to her and her family. She sorted herself out etc years ago now.

gentleenforcer
17 hours ago, twotongue said:

Mate ,  you often told me of your admiration for PM Bob Hawke , BUT....... i know  it was Julia Gillard's ass that REALLY got you aroused .

Yuck...give me a beautiful little Thai arse anyday. Gillard was a fucking embarassment to Australia.

sinbad5
10 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

I'd say that's beneath you if I didn't know better.

Captain Dave
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Zeb said:

He cried on National TV when discussing his daughter's drug addition and what it was doing to her and her family. She sorted herself out etc years ago now.

It was widely reported on the World media, including the BBC at the time, that he cried while confessing

about his alcoholic, womanising past and this, for reasons best known to the Australian voter, gave him

an enormous boost in the polls.

The media may well have got their facts wrong, but that is what any Brit who remembers him at all, will recall. 

I make no comment as to his political legacy and am quite happy to accept he was a decent chap and all that.

Edited by Captain Dave

Sam Beckett

There was a lovely article in the paper where a women posted a letter she recieved from Bob as a young girl when she wrote to him about the death of her grandmother. It was a beautiful sentiment. 

Screenshot_20190518-130244_Twitter.jpg