Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

gentleenforcer

Bob Hawke former Australian Prime Minister R.I.P.

boingo
5 hours ago, Captain Dave said:

It was widely reported on the World media, including the BBC at the time, that he cried while confessing

about his alcoholic, womanising past and this, for reasons best known to the Australian voter, gave him

an enormous boost in the polls.

The media may well have got their facts wrong, but that is what any Brit who remembers him at all, will recall. 

I make no comment as to his political legacy and am quite happy to accept he was a decent chap and all that.

You would probably have had to be in Australia at the time to fully appreciate why this boosted Hawke in the polls. Helped that his opponents looked and sounded constipated and couldn't generate empathy to save themselves.

roderick
Posted (edited)

Hawkie , otherwise known as the blonde boddgie - was an incredibly gifted and lucky politician. He was also tainted. Early in his career, there were rumours, which I believe to be true ,that he'd regularly beat his wife hazel  to a pulp. Later in life they would divorce. Bob the son of a clergy man, never held a job outside the unions or parliament. When he retired from politics , he split from Hazel  - as he no longer needed the pretense of  a supposedly happy marriage. The divorce settlement was also interesting. Bob the former union leader had acquired harbouride properties, over looking the bridge. They were worth a bundle. He handed over some to his ex wife and kept the rest. He then demolished a substantial house on one those leafy properties , and built an absolute  mansion for himself and his biographer - Blance de something , proabaly Blanche de Spiv . Not bad really for a man who had never worked or held a high-paying job!!e        

Edited by roderick

Zeb
Posted (edited)

Hazel booted him, which was justice and sat him back on his arse - for a while at least.

Hazel got most of the assets at that time, Hawke did well in business after politics - he did work, was respected in business and well paid for it and he was popular generally.

He was no saint, but served his country well and put in place a whole list of reforms.

Thats the way I prefer to remember him.  - and as a knock about bloke.

Edited by Zeb

Ron Rat

Hawke made a packet from settlements from libel suits that the media paid out rather than go to a jury.

My Dad was in the class below Hawke at High school in Perth. Many years ago around 1970 Dad was sent from Melbourne to Perth for work for a few weeks. He left the office and stopped at the John Curtin pub before catching a bus to the airport at then Essendon. Bob was as usual propping up the bar and Dad got chatting and they got stuck it into it. Then he realised he was going to miss his flight as the bus had gone. Bob picked up the phone, rang Ansett, someone drove him to the airport and they held the plane for him . So every other bugger had to wait 20 minutes. Although in those days it was easy to make up. Also in Bobs class was one Rolf Harris.

roderick
Posted (edited)

I also met Bob back in 1970. Hawke was in business with a guy called Eddie Kornhauser - who among other things ran a hotel - off St Kilda Road and another pub in Queens street called the Cecil. Both Kornhauser and Hawke would prop-up the bar at the Cecil for hours on end.  I worked next door and would stagger into the joint after finishing work.  Years later , Kornhauser was caught engaging in some unsavoury business deal. Bob  then immediately denied ever having known the guy

You are right about the defamation cases  though - there were many of them. One uncharitabe view was that defamation settlements themselves were an effective tax way of channelling large sums of money to him.   Publishers like Murdoch  treated  defamation payments as  a routine cost of doing business and were happy to pay  because the settlements kept Bob happy and were tax deductable - meaning Oz tax payers bore most of the  bill

Edited by roderick

gentleenforcer
7 hours ago, roderick said:

I also met Bob back in 1970. Hawke was in business with a guy called Eddie Kornhauser - who among other things ran a hotel - off St Kilda Road and another pub in Queens street called the Cecil. Both Kornhauser and Hawke would prop-up the bar at the Cecil for hours on end.  I worked next door and would stagger into the joint after finishing work.  Years later , Kornhauser was caught engaging in some unsavoury business deal. Bob  then immediately denied ever having known the guy

You are right about the defamation cases  though - there were many of them. One uncharitabe view was that defamation settlements themselves were an effective tax way of channelling large sums of money to him.   Publishers like Murdoch  treated  defamation payments as  a routine cost of doing business and were happy to pay  because the settlements kept Bob happy and were tax deductable - meaning Oz tax payers bore most of the  bill

Eddie Kornhauser was also a controversial business character on the Gold Coast in the 70/80s with several questionable operations there.

Rumour has it that Hazel Hawke was gifted $1 million(big money then) from the Labor party to keep up the illusion of being the happy Prime Ministers wife whilst he was in power...despite him fucking many available females in sight, and also belting her every now and then.

I did like Hawke as a PM and probably our greatest Labor PM.

LRanger

Bob was a fair dinkum ridgie didge blokes bloke and anyone who thinks otherwise..... is a bum.

At times a grumpy bastard with flaws of a real person but one of our last political leaders.

Heralded great changes after years of conservative stagnation.

Captain Dave
2 hours ago, LRanger said:

Bob was a fair dinkum ridgie didge blokes bloke and anyone who thinks otherwise..... is a bum.

At times a grumpy bastard with flaws of a real person but one of our last political leaders.

Heralded great changes after years of conservative stagnation.

I have no idea about his political merits, but if - as reported above - he was a regular wife beater he sounds a real shit.

Sorry if that offends others when he has just passed away, but there is absolutely no excuse for that thuggery IMO.

It certainly can't be passed off as 'flaws of a real person' or some such weasel words. 

If that makes me a bum, I wear the badge with pride.

boingo
I have no idea about his political merits, but if - as reported above - he was a regular wife beater he sounds a real shit.

Sorry if that offends others when he has just passed away, but there is absolutely no excuse for that thuggery IMO.
It certainly can't be passed off as 'flaws of a real person' or some such weasel words. 
If that makes me a bum, I wear the badge with pride.
Like all politicians rumours swirl. I don't believe everything good or bad written or whispered about politicians or anyone else but always a dark side to people.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Captain Dave
On 19/05/2019 at 03:29, boingo said:

Like all politicians rumours swirl. I don't believe everything good or bad written or whispered about politicians or anyone else but always a dark side to people.

Fair enough, I was just reacting to the stories above.

Barhop

From me personally, I have for a very long time thanked Bob (and Keating also) for not finding a war to join in, while I served 10 years in the RAN.

Dr No
On 19/05/2019 at 12:29, boingo said:

Just because you don’t believe it doesn’t mean it wasn’t true. 

You can stick your head in the sand and claim innocence, that again, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

Zeb
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr No said:

You can stick your head in the sand and claim innocence, that again, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

True - it works the other way as well.

Up thread a 'rumour' hasn't been substantiated even in the slightest.

He who accuses must prove ? 

Apparently not ?

Even worse when the accused cannot now defend themselves.

Mmmmm.

Edited by Zeb

boingo
Not the case at all. As I said I don't believe everything written or rumoured about someone because amazingly some of it may be bullshit and rather than bury my head in the sand I prefer some proof, big difference.

sinbad5
1 hour ago, Dr No said:

In a society governed by the rule of law the onus of providing evidence of a crime lies with those making allegations.

Macawber
3 hours ago, sinbad5 said:

In a society governed by the rule of law the onus of providing evidence of a crime lies with those making allegations.

Unless you're a journalist or, ironically, a parliamentarian.