Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Taa_Saparot

Swimming in the Sea Temporarily Suspended

Taa_Saparot

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tourists-warned-not-to-swim-in-pattaya-sea-due-to-water-pollution/

Tourists warned not to swim in polluted sea off Pattaya
May 19, 2019 

Pattaya.png

Tourists visiting Thailand’s Pattaya resort town have been advised not to swim in the sea, especially off the Na Chom Thian beach, after the sea in the area turned black and emitted a foul smell, reportedly caused by untreated waste water.

Pattaya City administration has issued an order temporarily suspending swimming in the sea near Pattaya until officials find the source of the effluent and fix the problem.

The move by the Pattaya City administration came after a netizen posted on his Facebook page an image of what appeared to be black waste water flowing into the sea through an open sewer in Soi Na Chom Thian 8, Tambon Na Chom Thian, Sattahip district of the eastern province of Chon Buri.

A Thai PBS reporter went to Soi Na Chom Thian 8 on Saturday afternoon to investigate and found that the polluted water came from an abandoned water treatment plant belonging to the Tambon Na Chom Thian municipality.

The water treatment facility was built at a cost of about 124 billion baht to treat waste water from hotels and other businesses.  However, it malfunctioned after a short period in operation and was then abandoned due to lack of budget for maintenance.

A village headman, Mr. Supote Inyaem, told the reporter that the untreated waste water had been leaking into the sea for quite a long time without any authority addressing the problem.

Instead of fixing the problem, local officials issued regulations requiring business operators to install their own facilities to treat the waste water before it is discharged into the sea.

While advising tourists to avoid swimming in the sea, the Pattaya City administration has, so far, failed to come up with any concrete plan to address the pollution problem on long-term basis.

D66boC2W0AATaD7.jpg:large

D66bpA4XYAAcQvD.jpg:large

stacksreg123

People should know better then going swimming in pattaya bay.

duffMaster

They can spend tons of money redoing the beach, build fancy hotels and malls to make hooker town into a family friendly holiday destination... but they fail to address such as basic thing as maintenance for their “124 billion” water treatment plant, so now they have a bacteria infested pool of water that will drive tourism away. You just want to shake your head in disbelief and then you come to your senses as TiT and this is just another day of dysfunctionality.

“The water treatment facility was built at a cost of about 124 billion baht to treat waste water from hotels and other businesses.  However, it malfunctioned after a short period in operation and was then abandoned due to lack of budget for maintenance.”

WalterA
Posted (edited)

I don’t understand why anyone sane would swim in Pattaya .... maybe that’s why they want to make health insurance compulsorily ... in case someone wants to swim in Pattaya .... 

Edited by WalterA

MaiMeSatang

Pattaya.png

The term third world shithole gets thrown around a lot where maybe it shouldn't.

It's nice for once to see an actual image of a literal third world shithole.  What a complete fuck up. 

keepitfun

People swim?   There’s a beach? Who knew?

Queef_Sniffer

Sometimes in Pattaya, I'll see people swimming around in the water.  I ask myself if they have any idea, that they're wading around in my mornings deuce?  I wouldn't even let my pinky toe finger touch that water.  

CHE6221
1 hour ago, duffMaster said:

They can spend tons of money redoing the beach, build fancy hotels and malls to make hooker town into a family friendly holiday destination... but they fail to address such as basic thing as maintenance for their “124 billion” water treatment plant, so now they have a bacteria infested pool of water that will drive tourism away. You just want to shake your head in disbelief and then you come to your senses as TiT and this is just another day of dysfunctionality.

“The water treatment facility was built at a cost of about 124 billion baht to treat waste water from hotels and other businesses.  However, it malfunctioned after a short period in operation and was then abandoned due to lack of budget for maintenance.”

When the contract was let to build the treatment works wasn't there any financial provision made for maintenance?

"Yes, but we can't find it'.

That's a nice Mercedes you've got!

Oukiva

I was on Na Jomtien beach this morning and the water was Crystal clear ! :huh:

354.jpg

Oukiva
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stacksreg123 said:

People should know better then going swimming in Pattaya bay.

Na Jomtien 8 beach is more than 10 km of Pattaya, and not in Pattaya Bay !

It's not even in Pattaya but part of Sattahip district...

Warning people to not swim on Pattaya beach because of a pollution at Jomtien Soi 8 is just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Edited by Oukiva

WalterA
1 hour ago, Oukiva said:

354.jpg

You make it sound like bottled water ..... go for a swim and report back if you don’t get a rash ....

Oukiva
15 minutes ago, WalterA said:

You make it sound like bottled water ..... go for a swim and report back if you don’t get a rash ....

Already did, and never got problems.The only 2 areas where I swim in the sea near Pattaya are Koh Larn beaches (on the nearby island) and Na Jomtien beach near the Marina & the Ambassador hotel.

simon46
1 hour ago, Oukiva said:

Hmmm, bit cynical here.

Now I note Pattaya bay is revolting (do not think of paddling except to relieve yourself), the current washes west to East so Pratanak (cosy beach) next enjoys Pattaya's filth, next Jomtien (do not swim), next na Jomtien ( sometimes you can go in, keep your head high). 

This debacle is near where the kite surfers kite surf, next the Ambassador and the russkies, then Ban Ssray and the naval beach (swimming is pleasant).

Compared with Pattaya's filth I guess this should be more localised, for those who imagine that it is from Bangkok, head a bit west from Pattaya naklua and the water is clear.

I call fake news on the "Billions", just about believe Millions.  Failure to pay for maintenance is typical around here,  Arab, Indian, Chinese billionaire buy Rolls Royces etc and never maintain them, par for the course.

WalterA
7 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

Already did, and never got problems.The only 2 areas where I swim in the sea near Pattaya are Koh Larn beaches (on the nearby island) and Na Jomtien beach near the Marina & the Ambassador hotel.

The only place ie ever swam was somewhere close to Phuket and even then I wasn’t 100% convinced it was clean .... Pattaya or anywhere close by .... no way .... 

WalterA

When I walk on beach road at night, I always see rats .... I’m glad the rats approve of the water ....

Explorer8939

The story says the sewage is getting into the water at Soi Na Jomtien 8, not far from Jomtien beach where people think the water is cleaner than Pattaya Beach.

F066B104-E3D5-4889-80F9-736035755759.png

RRosenberg

People willingly bareback hookers, so why would dirty water stop them from swimming?

Oukiva
57 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

The story says the sewage is getting into the water at Soi Na Jomtien 8, not far from Jomtien beach where people think the water is cleaner than Pattaya Beach.

It's an incident or accident; not something that happen often or that even is supposed to happen! And for sure, Na Jomtien beach a bit South of this point is far nicer and water cleaner.

BTW here is the exact position of this evacuation, on GoogleMaps. In the bottom of above pic.

waco

I will stick to swimming in my bath tub!!

Komando
6 hours ago, duffMaster said:

Pattaya/Thailand is run by complete ____________________________ (You fill in the blank.).

Justaguy1954
36 minutes ago, Komando said:

Pattaya/Thailand is visited by complete ____________________________ (You fill in the blank.).

Slight edit  :)

Komando
Posted (edited)

Millions of baht were spent on 'sewage treatment' facilities that do not work properly and are not repaired.  Just look at what happened to the widened beach of Pattaya Bay after the last set of storms this past April.There were channels cut through the sand so rain water could go to the sea.  No thought was given to proper drainage when there is a heavy rain or at least nothing was done about that problem.   Bulldozers just pushed sand back over the gashes in the beach when it stopped raining.  Millions of baht were spent on widening the beach along Pattaya Bay with hopes of luring more tourists to to the sand so they could bask in the sunshine.  Legions of Vendors sell tourists and visitors to the beach - food and drinks all day long. If a person enjoying the beach feels the need to pee or poop - one option is for a person to go into the ocean to relieve themselves.  They can 'swim' in a Bay where they can also cover themselves with speedboat motor oil along with raw sewage. There are no public toilets installed along Pattaya Bay or anywhere along Jomtien Bay.  There are no public showers installed so anyone that does venture into the ocean; has a way to rinse their skin off after they get out of the polluted sea.  Nobody appears to have done anything about those problems when they had the chance to make positive changes to the public infrastructure of Pattaya.  The 'powers that be' could have installed 'pay toilets' and 'pay public showers'  while the huge 'beach replenishment' project was going on - similar to 'pay toilets' found all over the city and country but no - nothing was done for public sanitation in Pattaya.

Yes, 'Justaguy1954' - once the word is out that Pattaya/Jomtien Bay has broken sewage treatment facilities, no public toilets or showers for mile after mile of beachfront - then it will be known that Pattaya Bay is a great place to possibly catch a disease while swimming - you can say with certainty - "Pattaya/Thailand is visited by complete _____________(You fill in the blank.)"

Edited by Komando

lfc4dp

Exactly why my hotel must always have a pool. Aside from the water, the sharp bottle caps and even siringes put me off going near these beaches. good for a photo opportunity but even then I try and focus on the boats.

Barry488
Posted (edited)

Who the fuck cares for the beach and swimming, we're here for the hoes. Let it be widely known that Pattaya is not a proper seaside resort where you can swim so all the hordes of chinese, indians and russians can f..off to a cleaner place and leave us alone to carry on our mongering business. :P (...well the indians probably they will stay cause 90% of them are single males wandering around in packs of 5-10 people looking to share some cheap pussy. ) I apologize in advance , no racist insult intended:P:Crazy1:

Edited by Barry488

Zeb

After many trips to Pattaya from back in the mid 1980's to present I've *Never* been tempted to swim in the sea off Pattaya - and I see no reason to contemplate doing so now - with or without additional sewage.

Think the closest I've come is a walk on the sand and a couple of cold beers in a rented deck chair at sunset several times.

I doubt 'swimming' in the sea is a priority for most PA members ? 

For beaches - Manly beach here in sunny Sydney for me :)

Stockton Beach.jpg

Sydney - Manly.jpg

Sydney - North Narrabeen.jpg

Tamarama Beach Dawn.jpg