Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Night Wish Group 7th Anniversary Party | Add your Text or Event here

Taa_Saparot

Swimming in the Sea Temporarily Suspended

dnaliaht

Depending on the concentration levels of the raw sewage being released into the water currently, it could be an improvement. 

Vic D

Let's just hope the Thai government doesn't go the way the Philippine President went with Boracay Island in the Philippines. Although it caused massive improvements for that island in the long run.

jojomecanic
Posted (edited)

Well... if it could keep all the familly tourists away from pattaya... I would not be disapointed.

Pattaya is def not the place to go for beaches in Thailand.

Edited by jojomecanic

Oukiva
1 hour ago, Zeb said:

// For beaches - Manly beach here in sunny Sydney for me :)

Stockton Beach.jpg

//

As if sea pollution didn't exist in Sydney...

rubbish-floating-in-sydney-harbour-near-

37079270_10155405679216791_3969670265457

sewage.jpg

You think this one Pattaya? Wrong, Sydney.

PS: And yes, agree, no real comparison as surely most water is treated and beaches cleaned at Sydney, but accidents/incidents happen there too...

Bonkabit

There is another potential negative about swimming in the sea in Thailand: at some times of the year there are swarms of large stinging jellyfish.

A few years ago at Patong on the west coast of Phuket tourists were warned of the jellyfish; TG and I kept to the hotel pool. Think it was May-June.

Seasonality may vary by area, suggest you Google 'Thailand, jellyfish, (area)' to check. 

Zeb
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

sewage.jpg

PS: And yes, agree, no real comparison as surely most water is treated and beaches cleaned at Sydney, but accidents/incidents happen there too...

Agree - a lot of effort has gone into cleaning up 'ocean outfalls' of waste water and most Sydney beaches are pretty clean a very high percentage of the time.

Not 100%, 100% of the time but a very high percentage.

Locals and visitors flock to these beaches and water quality is regularly monitored etc.

As I said above - I'll swim Sydney beaches well ahead of Pattaya anytime.

Edited by Zeb

Oukiva
1 minute ago, Bonkabit said:

There is another potential negative about swimming in the sea in Thailand: at some times of the year there are swarms of large stinging jellyfish.

How is it a Thailand specific problem? Yes they sometimes have jellyfishes, but very small quantity on small areas, similar to what I saw in Mediterranean countries. Nothing to compare when the huge population of jellyfishes you can find in Japan, Africa or USA.

And BTW I would prefer a swarm of jellyfishes in Thailand than a swarm of sharks in Australia :wink:

Infograph.jpg

WalterA
14 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

rubbish-floating-in-sydney-harbour-near-

37079270_10155405679216791_3969670265457

sewage.jpg

That’s not a very good comparison .... it’s like saying Chernobyl is equally good holiday spot as Hawaii ....  the photos you posted are probably real but you have to compare apples with apples ..... I get the feeling from reading some of your posts recently, that you put your head in the sand like an ostrich and post that everything is brilliant here .... we all love Pattaya for various reasons ..... the people are super kind, it’s safe, the markets and night life, etc .... but there are some negatives and to improve the place, we need to be honest about them ....the beaches are not that great .... I’m not sure if I would even walk on the sand .... in Jomtien at least, there is always garbage everywhere, yet the solutions are simple ..... for example ....

a. Early mornings, the beaches could be raked with a small tractor to get rid of bottles, etc ....

b. Instead of having household style bin that continuously overflow, have industrial style bin with larger capacity ....

c. Rebuild the footpaths .... in some spots it narrows down so that only one person can walk at a time, other places it narrows down and there is a palm tree smack in the middle of the narrower footpath ... why .... so in other words a couple walking together have to split (cannot hold hands) to avoid palms trees .....

We all love LOS and we all love Pattaya .... greatest place to live on earth by far .... but yes, there is room for improvements and the state of the beaches is fairly high on that list ....

Daz Manc

Yes, do a Boracay and close all the beaches between Na Kluea and NaJomtien for a year

Tell all the families to go stay down near Rayong and leave Patts to us.

WalterA
5 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

How is it a Thailand specific problem? Yes they sometimes have jellyfishes, but very small quantity on small areas, similar to what I saw in Mediterranean countries. Nothing to compare when the huge population of jellyfishes you can find in Japan, Africa or USA.

And BTW I would prefer a swarm of jellyfishes in Thailand than a swarm of sharks in Australia :wink:

Infograph.jpg

Two wrongs don’t make it right  ....

Vic D
45 minutes ago, Daz Manc said:

Yes, do a Boracay and close all the beaches between Na Kluea and NaJomtien for a year

Tell all the families to go stay down near Rayong and leave Patts to us.

Except in Boracay the President shut down the whole Island until they made changes to fix the environmental impact on the Island and the water surrounding it. It affected all the businesses on the Island. Granted Pattaya is not an Island but the trash and pollution is generated by the people in the area. Would suck if this happened in Pattaya.

Coffeejunkie

When I see people swimming at the beach in pattaya or down the road in Jomtien I wonder how many get sick. There is no way I would go in the water

Exiled
16 hours ago, duffMaster said:

They can spend tons of money redoing the beach, build fancy hotels and malls to make hooker town into a family friendly holiday destination... but they fail to address such as basic thing as maintenance for their “124 billion” water treatment plant, so now they have a bacteria infested pool of water that will drive tourism away. You just want to shake your head in disbelief and then you come to your senses as TiT and this is just another day of dysfunctionality.

“The water treatment facility was built at a cost of about 124 billion baht to treat waste water from hotels and other businesses.  However, it malfunctioned after a short period in operation and was then abandoned due to lack of budget for maintenance.”

So true!  anyone living here that doesn't have their head in the sand knows it?  They have been pouring waste into the ocean daily for years and years hoping the ocean dilute the shit enough that no one notice.  They got something like 4 plants in the entire area if lucky two is working and with the growth in the area the problem isn't being addressed but billions and billions are being spent on roads, highways and facilities for the Chinese to shop. Do the math the number of people?  As soon as the rainy season arrives the problem will be washed away so will the beaches T.I.T.  Land of stupidity.

udontony

Even when the sea looks reasonably clean there is a lot of pollution.  My Thai style daughter worked in a pharmacy not far from the beach and that place made a fortune from dispensing  products to help with skin rashes from the sea.   Sometimes you could see that they had only been in up to the knees as the irritation and redness stopped at the knee, some had been swimminmg and needed treatment all over the body.   First question she asked when they came into the shop was have you been in the sea, invariably they had so the link between the polluted sea water and the rashes etc was for definite.   This was never an isolated incident, it happened many times some days.    The authorities must know about this but think they will never do anything in case some tourists hear about it and go elsewhere.

stacksreg123
19 hours ago, Oukiva said:

Na Jomtien 8 beach is more than 10 km of Pattaya, and not in Pattaya Bay !

It's not even in Pattaya but part of Sattahip district...

Warning people to not swim on Pattaya beach because of a pollution at Jomtien Soi 8 is just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

U misunderstood me.

I'm not warning people to not swim on pattaya beach. I'm just saying people should know better.

And this specific case of pollution originating from Jomtien Soi 8 has nothing to do with it.

The whole Bay is nothing but a huge sewer.

So I know better then going swimming there, but hey if you want to, your free to do as you please.

speedtoy
19 hours ago, Oukiva said:

I was on Na Jomtien beach this morning and the water was Crystal clear ! :huh:

354.jpg

This is an example of 'science' where you came from?

Oukiva
15 minutes ago, speedtoy said:

This is an example of 'science' where you came from?

Sorry, but when I was there I didn't know yet about the pollution the previous day, so I didn't take any picture of the Crystal clear water. The pic above is the best I have where we see the water... :huh:

forcebwithu

Anyone know the location of the "malfunctioning" Tambon Na Chom Thian water treatment facility. Tried to find it on Google Earth and couldn't see anything that looked like a waste treatment plant anywhere near the outflow location.

Taa_Saparot

It now turns out that the Water Treatment facility has NEVER been used, since it was built.

And, if its broken, it's still under warranty until the 16th of June.

Oukiva
30 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Anyone know the location of the "malfunctioning" Tambon Na Chom Thian water treatment facility.

There is some underground machinery and pumps at the location I gave before :

17 hours ago, Oukiva said:

BTW here is the exact position of this evacuation, on GoogleMaps. In the bottom of above pic.

That doesn't seem to be very big and first I thought it was just the terminal/exit part of something bigger, but no idea were the big part could be ?? :unsure:

Dr No

The only problem with that report is the word temporarily, the word permanently needs to replace it. 

forcebwithu
6 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

There is some underground machinery and pumps at the location I gave before :

That doesn't seem to be very big and first I thought it was just the terminal/exit part of something bigger, but no idea were the big part could be ?? :unsure:

If there were a treatment plant I would expect it would be easy to spot using Google Earth. Even a small plant would have some sort of equipment visible via GE such as this.
Image result for small wastewater treatment plant

Instead I see nothing like that in the area. Could it be the plant malfunctioned b/c it was never built. This being Thailand, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Screen Shot 05-20-19 at 02.02 PM.jpg

WalterA
2 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

It now turns out that the Water Treatment facility has NEVER been used, since it was built.

And, if its broken, it's still under warranty until the 16th of June.

It sounds to me like the WTF wasn’t built to treat water but for someone to make money off the contract building it and the rest is history .... that money would have been better spent at the Windmill .....

exssucker

I have never seen a sea it beach to swim in Pattaya, where is it located? 

I go to Samae beach to enjoy beach

dingbat22

Untreated sewage has been flowing into the sea around Pattaya for as long as Pattaya has existed....