Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Night Wish Group 7th Anniversary Party | Add your Text or Event here

scnitzer3

Advice on flights and if it's worth it

scnitzer3

Hi forum,

I've not been able to come back to Pattaya for two years now.

With a new job I can only visit for two weeks at Christmas, I normally do 3-4 weeks in low season.

The prices for flights are coming back as £1200 direct or £800 with a stop.

With the prices going up, only being able to do two weeks Im seriously considering if it's worth it.

Any advice on flights, are they likely to go down and is the Baht going to get any better ?

Also I've not been at Christmas/high season so wondering how much better if any it is.

Many thanks guys.

worldpunter

You don't say where you will be flying from ?  

scnitzer3

Apologies, I'm flying from UK, so Heathrow or Gatwick.

I'm flying out on 20th December and returning 5th January.

I've booked a condo with Dancewatchers in View Talay 6.

Hamchang

Of course its worth it. Now pay up and get cracking. 

Downandup

It's far too early to book a flight as the prices will be quite high at the moment, yet you have to be careful.  As you are flying at a peak period fares will not drop too low.

My advice is to get email alerts on fare prices from sites such as Google Flights, Kayak, skyscanner.  There's also Hopper if you have an android phone.  By August or September the prices will probably drop to their lowest and that will be the time to book.

Don't leave it too late as I did at Easter.  I expected price to continue to drop but instead it started climbing again.

scnitzer3

Many thanks downandup.

I know this is a hard question but is high season worth it, I know the question is very subjective as some like it quiet and having pick of the girls and some like the crowds and atmosphere that comes with it.

Hamchang

Low season often means less girls, or the top tier heading to Bangkok or abroad to maximise their earnings. High season means more people loitering around, getting in the way, being touristy and annoying but when you are balls deep in a star bird why would you care? 

taylor1975

900 to £1k from manchester on those dates. In my experience, those prices will not drop at all. If you've found 800 from london, i'd be booking now.

I paid £550 in May, so not much less.

scnitzer3

It's a decision now though, I'm looking at only 2 weeks so want to go direct, meaning £1200, I'm used to paying between 5 and £600

gmingot

Scnitzer, if its the only time you can go and you want to go then it doesnt matter what its like at other times of the year. Best thing you can do is to maximise the time you have available. Take a night flight outbound on the your last working day and another night flight back from BKK , they get back to the UK early morning so you may even be able to go straight to work.

Not always necessary to take a direct flight if cost is an issue, just try and select a flight with a minimal stopover time

scnitzer3

True, i normally get the Eva flight out of Heathrow at 21.35 so I will be working on the Friday.

I will do it as I've booked and paid for the condo.

Wanting to know really if the extra money is worth it for high season.

Downandup
4 minutes ago, scnitzer3 said:

Wanting to know really if the extra money is worth it for high season.

it sounds as if you are committed to these dates so don't worry if it's worth it, when you get there make it worth it!

:23:

striderman

at the time of year you want to fly both out and return it is absolutely peak period. my opinion is to book and pay now as nearer the time others who think.............fuck i ain't paying that.................weaken and book and the price goes up.

i always fly indirect cos it's cheaper. no big deal just take care that the connection times are not too long

scnitzer3

Thank and good point, yeah I'm committed and had to cancel the last two trips so not been back for a couple of years.

I'll just put in some overtime here to make up the difference in a crap exchange rate.

I know when I get back I'll be fine just over thinking things here stuck in England.

davidge

Working on the Friday and, presumably, the Monday obviously restricts the flights you can take and reduces the chance of finding a cheaper fare. Still over 6 months away so there’s a chance of cheaper fares BUT flying out the Friday before Christmas and back in the first week of January really is peak fare time! 

If you insist on flying direct then maybe Thai will be cheaper than Eva at some point - they have flights that suit your times. Qatar look to have flights that suit as well, with quite short stopovers. 

The week between Christmas and New Year is very busy in Pattaya and some gogos take the piss on some nights by inflating their bar fines even more. Still a good time to be there. Weather better than July and plenty of fun to be had.

scnitzer3

Cheers for the replies guys, will be a new experience to see it proper busy.

striderman
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scnitzer3 said:

Cheers for the replies guys, will be a new experience to see it proper busy.

ok i've looked at the calendar too. assuming you work the 20th and fly that evening, say around 20.00/2100 . a direct flight will get you in around 15.00 ish to bkk. a via the middle east is likely to get you in between 18.00 and 20.00.

so that's pattaya with direct at about 18.00 or option 2 via middle east between 21.00 and 23.00.

so you would still have time to go out and have fun but at a cheaper price via say dubai/abu dhabi etc

Edited by striderman

scnitzer3

Yeah I'm not totally against the idea of a stop off but would rather  get on one end and off into Thailand the other, the threads I keep reading are all about delays and missing connecting flights etc

striderman
Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm not totally against the idea of a stop off but would rather  get on one end and off into Thailand the other, the threads I keep reading are all about delays and missing connecting flights etc

i have flown direct, with qantas , british airways, eva and thai. plus indirect  gulf, emirates, qatar  and  etihad.

i have been flying since 1988. wimbledon won the FA cup that year. i have never missed a connecting flight in either direction. qantas once managed to take my checked luggage to sydney in about 1991, and my luggage once did not make the connection with etihad (over 50 return flights) on the way out. but it was delivered to my condo in pattaya the next morning 

Edited by striderman

scnitzer3

Thanks Striderman, I know it's rare but like I said I'm stuck in England over thinking things.

striderman
Posted (edited)

Thanks Striderman, I know it's rare but like I said I'm stuck in England over thinking things.

rare? i've been flying to thailand  for 31 years. 

but whoever you book with those dates, it  will not get better on price. pay now or pay more.

Edited by striderman

scnitzer3

Cheers

striderman
2 hours ago, scnitzer3 said:

, I'm used to paying between 5 and £600

as i by the way my first flight was with Gulf airways on a noisy as fuck tristar and the return fare ?          500 pounds exactly. i paid less for the flight i flew in on in may

bigmac9899

If I only had 5 days, I would do it. Which I recently did....

adammike
6 hours ago, scnitzer3 said:

Many thanks downandup.

I know this is a hard question but is high season worth it, I know the question is very subjective as some like it quiet and having pick of the girls and some like the crowds and atmosphere that comes with it.

Christmas and New year is peak season it's probably the busiest two weeks of the year,the flights will be at their highest over that period,bar fines will hit their peak if you struggle with 1000-1500 be ready to pay more,hotels prices will also be at their highest of the year,factor in the exchange rate,struggling to find a positive, only the weather is at its best.