Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

LOTTELLEE WINNA

New Crackdown on Holiday Lets

LOTTELLEE WINNA

The Thai media are reporting that the Government is to crack down on Airbnb type activities. It will be interesting to see how actively this is pursued. While in some circumstances these short term lets can be attractive for guests, there are also legitimate concerns over safety and the problems caused to those whose homes are next door to these holiday lets.

“Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has exercised the all-powerful Section 44 to bring more than 20,000 illegal hotels and accommodation services nationwide under better state control and boost safety for guests.”

https://www.thephuketnews.com/prayut-orders-illegal-hotels-brought-into-line-71784.php

bar stool

This text has also appeared in Bangkok Post and is, to say the least, very ambiguous:

“...making accommodation services which have violated laws related to land use, city planning, building control and hotel businesses legal ...”.

LOTTELLEE WINNA
1 hour ago, bar stool said:

This text has also appeared in Bangkok Post and is, to say the least, very ambiguous:

“...making accommodation services which have violated laws related to land use, city planning, building control and hotel businesses legal ...”.

Not sure I agree about the ambiguity. My interpretation of the Bangkok Post article is that,  premises which are operating outside the regulations covering ”planning, building control and hotel business”, will have to address any shortfall regarding these issues in order to gain legal status and operate.

I take this to mean that if an existing business can take steps to meet the standards which hotels meet then they will be permitted to operate, those that cannot will be closed. Now the vast majority of short-term lets in Pattaya are within Condos, and these were never intended to be used for holiday lets, rather their purpose is residential accommodation. As such, they will never obtain legal status.

The only piece of ambiguity is how zealously the law will be pursued.

In terms of the Airbnb type short term use of condos, I think this is a good piece of legislation. There is nothing to prevent condo owners letting their place out long term (more than a month). This law seeks to stop wave after wave of holidaymakers moving next door to residents, whose peace is often disturbed by the activities of those on vacation.

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

bar stool
1 hour ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Not sure I agree about the ambiguity.

Perhaps lost in translation.

OldAsiaHand

In some buildings in Bangkok, at least, it's a big problem. I have a friend whose building is swamped with mobs of Chinese tourists using Chinese-owned condos as if they were hotel rooms. He paid a bit of money for his apartment and ought to be able to enjoy it without having to put up with that.

strawberrypi

I'm guessing it's this a means of targetting small-scale operators, while also getting sorta-legitimate way of extracting bribes from the large-scale operators (e.g. 25+ condos).

LOTTELLEE WINNA
1 minute ago, strawberrypi said:

I'm guessing it's this a means of targetting small-scale operators, while also getting sorta-legitimate way of extracting bribes from the large-scale operators (e.g. 25+ condos).

I accept that your cynicism might eventually be proved right. Only time will tell. However, I personally don’t share your view. My own interpretation is that the primary driver for change is pressure from the major hotel operators. Increasingly, hotel chains are facing, what they see, as unfair competition from the unregulated Condo market.

A secondary driver for change might be ‘hi-so’ (and well connected) residents of Condos, complaining to the authorities about the weekly wave of ‘boisterous’ holidaymakers turning up next door to them.

lthrAus

Not forgetting how Uber killed the normal taxis in many places..

WhiteThai
On 14/06/2019 at 17:00, lthrAus said:

Not forgetting how Uber killed the normal taxis in many places..

Considering that most taxi drivers are greedy and dishonest, that was a good thing.

duffMaster
11 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Considering that most taxi drivers are greedy and dishonest, that was a good thing.

So Uber drivers are the pillars of society?

WhiteThai
33 minutes ago, duffMaster said:

No, but they changed the game in that the price is known upfront, as opposed to running a meter and going the long way on purpose to make more money.

kahuna1
On 14/06/2019 at 10:13, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Not sure I agree about the ambiguity. My interpretation of the Bangkok Post article is that,  premises which are operating outside the regulations covering ”planning, building control and hotel business”, will have to address any shortfall regarding these issues in order to gain legal status and operate.

I take this to mean that if an existing business can take steps to meet the standards which hotels meet then they will be permitted to operate, those that cannot will be closed. Now the vast majority of short-term lets in Pattaya are within Condos, and these were never intended to be used for holiday lets, rather their purpose is residential accommodation. As such, they will never obtain legal status.

The only piece of ambiguity is how zealously the law will be pursued.

In terms of the Airbnb type short term use of condos, I think this is a good piece of legislation. There is nothing to prevent condo owners letting their place out long term (more than a month). This law seeks to stop wave after wave of holidaymakers moving next door to residents, whose peace is often disturbed by the activities of those on vacation.

Well put LW. This issue comes up in many parts of the world. Recently in America, similar legislation came down in a highly touristed area. There are zoning laws and regulations in place that sometimes aren't followed, as well as taxes that are due on short term rentals. Zoning laws are in place to keep short term (i.e. hotels, airbnb, etc) rentals to vacation areas. Could this just be a money grab? Of course. But it is also something that comes with fast development in high traffic destinations, no matter the country. 

Imlooking4fun
2 hours ago, duffMaster said:

Nearly right. Pillocks of society lol

Edited by Imlooking4fun

mmaaarrrkkk
13 hours ago, duffMaster said:

No but taxis all over the world have been having it good for too long. Not wanting to improve on a good thing , many turn to scams to make more money while working less. Uber (and Grab in Thailand) has been a breath of fresh air. No meter? Fine we have a fix fare? No Speaka the Thai? Fine i'll just key in the location. You want to go to the temple and tailor first and risk me not buying anything and not get the fare as well? Fine its the driver's loss.

chris2004

Good hope all the illegal renters end up in jail. USE A HOTEL.

dean2926
On 15/06/2019 at 04:48, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

I accept that your cynicism might eventually be proved right. Only time will tell. However, I personally don’t share your view. My own interpretation is that the primary driver for change is pressure from the major hotel operators. Increasingly, hotel chains are facing, what they see, as unfair competition from the unregulated Condo market.

A secondary driver for change might be ‘hi-so’ (and well connected) residents of Condos, complaining to the authorities about the weekly wave of ‘boisterous’ holidaymakers turning up next door to them.

I think this is pretty close to the mark regarding complaints from hotel owners.

We've all seen the non stop building of hotels in Pattaya that are mostly empty of guests.

Is it any wonder the hotels are looking to close or restrict competition from cheaper accommodation?

defyodds
28 minutes ago, chris2004 said:

Good hope all the illegal renters end up in jail. USE A HOTEL.

Lul what, I've stayed in a hotel 0 days in over a year living in sea. Much prefer renting condos with kitchens and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Those signs in condo lobbies mean nothing. I have noticed some Airbnb owners prefer to only rent 1 month plus as for some reason this gets around the laws. That's what I've been doing more recently as opposed to changing condos on a weekly basis

Rocketboy
9 minutes ago, dean2926 said:

I think this is pretty close to the mark regarding complaints from hotel owners.

We've all seen the non stop building of hotels in Pattaya that are mostly empty of guests.

Is it any wonder the hotels are looking to close or restrict competition from cheaper accommodation?

As they should.

Mark7676

Having just had first hand experience of staying for 2 weeks using Air B&B at The Base, I would be gutted if i couldn't do so again! 

But....... i have to admit, the coming and going of Koreans/Chinese on a daily basis with all the noise they made, if I owned the condo that i just rented then I would have kicked off big time. So i see this from both points of view.

Personally i prefer a condo over an hotel any day of the week, just my 2c

spacemonkey
42 minutes ago, defyodds said:

I have noticed some Airbnb owners prefer to only rent 1 month plus as for some reason this gets around the laws. That's what I've been doing more recently as opposed to changing condos on a weekly basis

Yes, it's perfectly legal to rent an apartment, in Thailand, for a period of 30 days or longer. Have done the so myself in the past but not sure I'd risk going the illegal route, of less, just in case any problems popped up leaving one up shit creek.

jed§
11 minutes ago, spacemonkey said:

it's perfectly legal to rent an apartment, in Thailand,

I can understand that it would be. However, isn't it a business? It's about using the apartment to make money, so it's a business, as is renting rooms in a house in the UK. Taxes have to be paid on that, it's self-employment. Is it a form of occupation in Thailand? And doesn't foreigners buying apartments push up prices? It happens in London.

LOTTELLEE WINNA
1 hour ago, Mark7676 said:

Having just had first hand experience of staying for 2 weeks using Air B&B at The Base, I would be gutted if i couldn't do so again! 

But....... i have to admit, the coming and going of Koreans/Chinese on a daily basis with all the noise they made, if I owned the condo that i just rented then I would have kicked off big time. So i see this from both points of view.

Personally i prefer a condo over an hotel any day of the week, just my 2c

There is the option of apart-otels. These give the best of both worlds (of hotels and apartments). Examples are At Mind, KTK and Amari Nova Suites...pictured in order below.

1EB9A7B7-F951-4075-8292-A6E8BF82B5D0.jpeg

7E3A2BF3-BFF5-41DB-846A-E63D57673351.jpeg

7AF3F4D4-2730-4280-9EAA-1ABD5EA7373B.jpeg

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

FarangKiNok
2 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

There is the option of apart-otels. These give the best of both worlds (of hotels and apartments). Examples are At Mind, KTK and Amari Nova Suites...pictured in order below.

7AF3F4D4-2730-4280-9EAA-1ABD5EA7373B.jpeg

Amari Nova Suites is nice!! 

LOTTELLEE WINNA
Just now, FarangKiNok said:

Amari Nova Suites is nice!! 

Yes, sure is. Stayed there many times. Even better with a mate, you can book the 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom corner suite...party central.

FarangKiNok
15 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Yes, sure is. Stayed there many times. Even better with a mate, you can book the 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom corner suite...party central.

Indeed, good location and acceptable priced. Party central. Good amenities and ok breakfast. I feel The Roof pool have room for improvements. A few looks from the front staff bringing new friends back for a good night sleep. Will stay again.