Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Daz Manc

This is how much Pattaya has changed in only 8 years since Smart Phones

Daz Manc

IMO the biggest change in Pattaya started in Jan 2011 when the first Samsung Galaxy smart phones went on sale in Thailand, before that the i phones were too expensive for Thais.

I have been coming since 1999, and very little changed between then and 2011,  12 years of pretty young things doing GFE  all night for 1000 baht.

Before Jan 2011, the level of ignorance about Pattaya among Thais was staggering.
No Thai language facebook, No Line, No TF  etc
The only way a young  village girl could find out about Pattaya was if an existing bar girl from her village came back for a home visit.
This is why all new girls would start working in the same bar as her village friend, this was always a beer bar, new girls knew nothing about Patts and were far too shy to consider a gogo.

These pretty young things filled every beer bar in Pattaya, the place was overflowing with them, all working for 1000 LT with a BF of 300, and that was when the uk pound was 57
When a girl started to look over 35, she would give up bar work because of the competition from too many girls in their 20s
There were about half the number of gogo bars back then and reserved for the very best looking girls who had all served their apprenticeship for a couple of years in beer bars first, learning the ropes
These girls were 1500 - 2000 LT with a BF of 600.

When you walked down the road, every  pretty young  girl was heads up looking for a customer and shouting at every man who walked  past  (not head buried in their phone like now)
The men walking past were almost all middle aged farangs, very few young men, no Indians, Arabs, Koreans, Japanese.

Everything started way earlier, the beer bars were full of girls and rocking by 7pm and the best girls were bar fined by 9pm.
The night club scene was not dominant as it is now, it was not very busy at all compared to now, consequently there were only a few young freelancers working the clubs, instead they had to work beer bars to get customers.
In fact there were few freelancers at all because there were no apps like TF, and not many customers in the clubs.

Nowadays, the new young girls learn everything from Thai  facebook before they even leave their village and go straight to the gogos as that's where the money is, missing out the beer bar stage completely, so that is why the beer bars are mostly full of older girls.

Incredible just how much it has changed and nearly tripled in price, in only 8 years.

If you came before 2011, please feel free to share your feelings and observations.

The Kid Kabugle

I’ve only been coming to Pattaya since 2010 but the saddest part for me is when I’m walking down the street and they don’t even cry out ‘sexy man’ at me any more.

buck011

Comming since 2013 lot worse now returned from my 10th trip 2 months ago and decided not to go back.

Dramatic price increase,poor exchange rate,poorer attitude of the girls,too many "regular" tourists are some of the main issues.

Edited by buck011

vimto66

Good run-down Daz Manc but one thing i disagree with is your nightclub/disco assessment, when i first ever came (early 90`s) the marine bar for example was busy every night even in low season, it stayed that way for many years, nowadays on certain nights you can ride a bike around, but back then marine didnt have as many competitors, personally i think the disco scene back then was excellent....`dominant` maybe, maybe not, but we all see things differently.

Imlooking4fun

Only been going since November 16. So lve haven’t experienced the “good ol days” but friends l go with tell me 65-70 baht to pound,beer 30 baht any girl 1000 LT and mean LT not trying to slope off at 8-9 in morning,stay with you until afternoon hoping you keep her for a few days lve only known 45 to pound so not to hard for me. But those remember the higher rates of exchange and attitude of girls must yearn for the days gone by  

l booked up for September in March hoping brexit be sorted and rate might start heading towards mid to high 40s again but it hasn’t, l normally go twice a year,but if things don’t improve soon it could be my last trip for a while 

Edited by Imlooking4fun

Taa_Saparot
3 hours ago, Daz Manc said:

IMO the biggest change in Pattaya started in Jan 2011 when the first Samsung Galaxy smart phones went on sale in Thailand, before that the i phones were too expensive for Thais.

So ..... YOU arrived in 2011?

Daz Manc
Just now, Taa_Saparot said:

So ..... YOU arrived in 2011?

NO, read the OP

I first came in 1999

Taa_Saparot
Just now, Daz Manc said:

NO, read the OP

I first came in 1999

Apologies.

No changes between 99 and 2011 then ..... WOW!

Daz Manc
2 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Apologies.

No changes between 99 and 2011 then ..... WOW!

Very very little on the mongering side, of course infrastructure improved eg Central was built 

Taa_Saparot
Just now, Daz Manc said:

Very very little on the mongering side, of course infrastructure improved eg Central was built 

Daz, to explain why I roll my eyes at posts like yours ...

My first visit to Pattaya was in 1988, and I thought I had found paradise, but during my first few days I met an old Aussie Guy who told me, "Pattaya was Fucked" "The Girls had got too greedy" "The Beer Bar scene was finished" "The Japs were spoiling it for everyone" and "The Baht was too Strong" ..... I was shocked.

And you know I have heard similar every year since.

The thing is with Forums like this, you can go back through the archives, and find that people have been going on about the same changes over and over for decades now.

And a lot of the time, its not Pattaya that has changed, but the Person himself , and he can't see it.

Harry Brown
2 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Daz, to explain why I roll my eyes at posts like yours ...

My first visit to Pattaya was in 1988, and I thought I had found paradise, but during my first few days I met an old Aussie Guy who told me, "Pattaya was Fucked" "The Girls had got too greedy" "The Beer Bar scene was finished" "The Japs were spoiling it for everyone" and "The Baht was too Strong" ..... I was shocked.

And you know I have heard similar every year since.

The thing is with Forums like this, you can go back through the archives, and find that people have been going on about the same changes over and over for decades now.

And a lot of the time, its not Pattaya that has changed, but the Person himself , and he can't see it.

You mean, you mean? me not sexy man mak mak?

Taa_Saparot
3 hours ago, Daz Manc said:

There were about half the number of gogo bars back then and reserved for the very best looking girls who had all served their apprenticeship for a couple of years in beer bars first, learning the ropes

Again, this is easy to check, as the internet has been with us for decades now.

But for fun, how many GoGo's do YOU think there was in 2011, and how many are there today?

Edited by Taa_Saparot

Komando
8 hours ago, Daz Manc said:

If you came before 2011, please feel free to share your feelings and observations.

I was in Thailand in 2006, Pattaya in 2007 and 2010 then I moved here in 2011.

You left out the Chinese from your list of 'No Indians, Arabs, Koreans, Japanese'.  However; I do recall Japanese taking all the 'Hotties' out of Super Baby A Go-Go before 9:00 PM in 2007, 2010 and 2011.  There were Arabs - mostly down on one Soi - between Club Boesche and 2nd Road.  The Indians worked in front of suit shops or in restaurants.  Koreans were here - but not in the force like now.  I also remember VERY few white women.  A smattering of Russian girls worked behind the second story glass windows on Walking Street and there weren't many more in town besides them back then.

I do agree with you.  There has been colossal change in the 8 year time span you speak of.  You made a series of very good points.  I see few changes for the better...

Prices today are out of whack in comparison for what a guy could get for a much smaller amount of money vs. a small wad of cash he must invest these days (And nights.) for female companionship in Pattaya.

secret tom

all i no is the smartphone has fucked up thailand....glued to there ear 24 /7...not interested in any thing else

usexpat46

I've been coming since 2001 and back then quite a few gals went directly to the go-gos if they had older sisters, relatives or friends from the village working at the go-go and were attractive.  I agree that the smartphone has changed Pattaya, especially the beer bars as the new option is working directly from your room through TF and line.  Working your own schedule and not being required to drink alcohol.  No different than many of our current BMs who talk about working from their home on their own schedule which I wish I had the opportunity to do but wasn't available as I'm much older.  

talung66
4 hours ago, Daz Manc said:

I have been coming since 1999, and very little changed between then and 2011,  12 years of pretty young things doing GFE  all night for 1000 baht.

You only got 1 year up on me and i am now there 6 months of the year your whole post is spot on.

2011 About the time frame the i stopped paying 500 for LT in bamboo  and went to 1000 didn't bother me at the time the AUD went from low 20s in 2000  to high 20s up to 33 baht one year and i was working didn't bat an eyelid taking a gogo girl or beer bar girl either before that.

I was there a month to 3 month every year on the grog every day no budget really just doing what i did.

Last year i was still getting 1k in red car back next month for 6 month but the sounds of it i'll have to take the next step to 1500 with the AUD at 21 baht it like tripled to me now .

Agogos  are just for eye candy now and beer bar are just for that drinking beer. and only out twice a week due to cost not only girls .

These pretty young things filled every beer bar in Pattaya, the place was overflowing with them, all working for 1000 LT with a BF of 300, and that was when the uk pound was 57

Exactly about the time BF went up from 200.

I would  buy a few LD take one home no vetting needed just leave  the 1000 on a side table  and it was  thank you very much then a wait till you go out eat and send her off on moto taxi. 

Now it a tap on the shoulder at sunlight and a whine for the 1000 you have to now  get so she can go ASAP.

These girls were 1500 - 2000 LT with a BF of 600.

i think there about the same amount if not less now for every new agogo bar you can mention i think i can mention one that was there.

Here are a few of the top of my head. carousel/paris./sisterz/silverstar3/catz/kitten club/bouche/xzone/original electric blue/rhino/hooties + all the bars in pattayland 2 and world wide/ classroom 1 and 2 /xray beavers/shark +++ many more

but the quality of the experience has changed significantly the girl dont dance like they used to the good show have all gone like sisters and carousel  

Edited by talung66

slashlarue
8 hours ago, Daz Manc said:

You should have seen it in 86-90. The girls had to find a "landline" somewhere so you could call them from your home country. It sounded like "ship-to-shore" radio. Cellphones are the one thing I'd undo. Before the girls had their head buried in you, now they have their heads buried in a cellphone.

Dalef65

I'm surprised nobody has said the girls were better looking back then..:Deadhorse:

Or maybe they have and I missed it with the tears in my eyes..:rolleyes:

Kegger

I can't be doing with all this nostalgia. The memory is a selective organ, it tends to blank the bad things out.

Q1. Can you still get your wood wet for cheap in Pattaya?

Q2. Have you got a wide wide wide choice of wood wetters to go at?

Q3. Can you select your wet wood time frame i.e. ST, LT, LLT, and (shudders) girlfriend and marriage.

Q4. Are the fat munters at home with a mans haircut and an arse like a bus any comparison with the sultry sleek sexy delights on offer in Patts?

If the answer is yes to all of the above, and if it's not, quite frankly, you wasted the airfare, shut up and get out there at it. You've already wasted valuable time moaning on here.

slashlarue
16 minutes ago, Dalef65 said:

I'm surprised nobody has said the girls were better looking back then..:Deadhorse:

I don't know if you remember. They actually had a simpler look. Practically no tats, paid more attention to you. Could not text a sponsor, friends, family, before, during, or after your session. And most had no idea about the outside world. I tried to just give facts.

Edited by slashlarue

Daz Manc
15 minutes ago, Dalef65 said:

And the girls were slimmer back then  :GrinNod1:

buck011
4 hours ago, Kegger said:

You've already wasted valuable time moaning on here.

Yeah really and somehow i also feel that i've wasted my time by reading your post

cjtrader

When I first started coming to Patts in 2005, freelancers lined Beach Rd and were available on benches in Royal Garden. All for the princely sum of 500 baht - $12.50 back then. The beer bars were full of girls, many of them young  and pretty. Discos were popular too, and they started earlier than 3 am.

The smart phones undoubtedly contributed to the decline in beer bars. Another factor was more investment money poured in and a gazillion new go-gos were built and the managers went around to the beer bars and recruited the pretty girls to work in go-gos for substantially more pay. Money also flowed into Soi 6 and turned the inside boom-boom bars into outside, open drinking bars. Prices soared on Soi 6 and in the go-gos. A more affluent clientele (i.e. Japanese and Korean) were attracted to the new go-go scene.

There is no turning back the clock. Two-week millionaire vacations are now much more expensive and expats can't afford the go-gos and can't find 20-year olds in the beer bars anymore.

There are still plenty of hungry older gals out there for the value-conscious and the pretty young lasses are just as numerous, just more expensive.   

RRosenberg

One thing I don't get when reading these posts. I'm a first timer, just got back last week. Wherever I went, I was treated like a king and got attention everywhere. I got great service and not once did a girl try and leave early, all leaving around late afternoon/early evening. Some of which I even had to hint it was time for them to go.

Obviously, I've got nothing to compare it to, but given the service I received I simply can't get my head around it not being 'as good as it once was'.

I won't comment on the costs as I can't but based solely on the service and experience I received, I can't imagine how it could have been improved on.

Daz Manc
2 minutes ago, RRosenberg said:

One thing I don't get when reading these posts. I'm a first timer, just got back last week. Wherever I went, I was treated like a king and got attention everywhere. I got great service and not once did a girl try and leave early, all leaving around late afternoon/early evening. Some of which I even had to hint it was time for them to go.

Obviously, I've got nothing to compare it to, but given the service I received I simply can't get my head around it not being 'as good as it once was'.

I won't comment on the costs as I can't but based solely on the service and experience I received, I can't imagine how it could have been improved on.

How about if you got exactly the same service but with a 10 girl and at 30% of the cost
Would you consider that an improvement ???