Click the Links to Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Nightly Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Babydolls Agogo | Agoda Users PLEASE READ | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Agoda Hotels | Donating to the Forum | Add your Text or Event here

Sign in to follow this  
PattayaFirstTime

Ease of getting 90 day visa in US?

PattayaFirstTime

Hello all. I have been to thailand once previously and stayed for 30 days before leaving. It was great, there was ups and downs etc. I am planning on going this time for 90 days. I have the tickets and already spoke to the place im staying with so i'll have proof of that. I'm paranoid that I had to book all of that first and if they don't provide a visa I won't get those things refunded. I also have print outs of all the documents I saw the require on the website. Anyone have any experience with this? Am I worrying too much and it's quick and easy or do they hassle you for random reasons?

Oukiva

Which "90 day visa" are you talking about ? A Non-O for reason of being over 50 ??

Still a rather easy solution in case of problem with it :

A tourist Visa (gives 2 months) + a Extension 30 days (at Immigration office, 1'900B)

PattayaFirstTime

Tourist visa. The 2 months + Extension.

WhiteThai

It's a very simple process to get a tourist visa if you have a U.S. passport. No worries.

Edited by WhiteThai

utopia

I never book the hotel for the full 60 days or 90 days.  Never had a problem getting 60 day visa and then extending 30 more in Thailand.

bgtp

To the best of my knowledge, you can’t get a tourist visa with a flight out of Thailand 90 days after your arrival based on the assumption you’re going to get an extension. You get a tourist visa for 60 days. So, you need a flight confirmation for a flight out of Thailand within 60 days. You can cancel it later and get the extension in Thailand though.

joeaf

I have gotten a single entry 60-day VISA from the DC Thai embassy for the past 6 yrs. Two comments about applying for the VISA.

Don’t apply too early, but within 30days of your date of entry into Thailand.  The DC Thai embassy has this posted on their website about applying too early since I was making this mistake.

Validity of a visa: The Validity of a visa is 3 months.

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. Do not apply for the visa too early. If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. The fee is not refundable***

Also, I previously used the USPS express mail service for returning my passport/VISA, but one year the tracking info was missing for a few days and caused me a lot of worry since it was <30 days of my trip and my passport/VISA was lost in the mail.  I eventually received my passport/VISA, but now I don’t use USPS express mail and go to pick up my passport/VISA in person.

Edited by joeaf

bgtp

I wouldn’t wait until <30 days to apply as suggested in the previous post myself. The embassy website states a minimum processing time by mail of 15 business days, although in my experience it has always been less than 10. The visa is valid for three months which means you must enter Thailand within three months from the date the visa is issued. So, anytime you’re within three months of a firm travel date for entering Thailand is fine. I usually apply two months out. Then I’m not stressing any mail delays getting my passport back or travel delays getting me to Thailand later than originally planned.

joeaf

1206127548_2018VISA.JPG.106c27dd6cc3492dd89a3365d7444280.JPGThe Thai Embassy made this change to the single entry 60-day Tourist VISA. 

Previously, you had 90 days from the VISA issue date to enter Thailand.  (see 2014 VISA, e.g. Issued 27Aug2014 and Enter before 26Nov 2014.)

In 2018, they changed the VISA to show date valid from 18Sep2018 and valid until17Dec2018. I dropped off my VISA application on Mon, 17Sep2018 and picked my VISA on Fri, 21Sep2018.  I entered Thailand on 17Oct2019 and left Thailand on 8Dec 2018.

2014 VISA.JPG

Edited by joeaf

PattayaFirstTime

Ahhh okay. I was going to go this Monday and I have flights and accommodations set up for September - November. The problem is I'll be out of the country starting the end of July, going to Cali then going to pure for a month, coming back on a Tuesday and flying back out that Sunday. Going to be a crazy time. If I go on that Wednesday i'd have to hope the visa clears by Friday, this is a bit worrisome. Maybe I'll try to get it during the middle of July and I should still be okay to enter the country in September...  Was hoping to get it done early and just put it out of my mind until my trip.   Thanks to everyone offering up advice I really appreciate it.

bgtp
1 hour ago, joeaf said:

The Thai Embassy made this change to the single entry 60-day Tourist VISA. 

Previously, you had 90 days from the VISA issue date to enter Thailand.  (see 2014 VISA, e.g. Issued 27Aug2014 and Enter before 26Nov 2014.)

In 2018, they changed the VISA to show date valid from 18Sep2018 and valid until17Dec2018. I dropped off my VISA application on Mon, 17Sep2018 and picked my VISA on Fri, 21Sep2018.  I entered Thailand on 17Oct2019 and left Thailand on 8Dec 2018.

‘Valid until’ is the same as ‘enter before’. You have to enter Thailand while the visa is still valid. That’s it. You still get stamped in for 60 days even if your tourist visa had one day left when you entered. One of my old visas says ‘date of expiry’ another says ‘this visa must be used before’. Same meaning.

PattayaFirstTime

When they request bank statement it has the account number on it and everything. I guess it's silly to worry about since they'll have copies of drivers license and a passport  but it feels weird handing something like that over.

joeaf
9 hours ago, PattayaFirstTime said:

When they request bank statement it has the account number on it and everything. I guess it's silly to worry about since they'll have copies of drivers license and a passport  but it feels weird handing something like that over.

I setup a Schwab account as a secondary account for Thailand spending and I provide them this bank statement.  The Schwab account is free and Schwab reimburses ATM fees at the end of the month..

I have other primary bank accounts and I would be reluctant to provide them these bank statements.